Programming Thread

Started by the-pi-guy, Mar 13, 2016, 10:39 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

the-pi-guy

Me right now:
Image result for it is done meme

the-pi-guy

So I have to work on this program that is being taken out of a physics book.

The assignment is to fill in some missing pieces to make it work, is what I was told to do.  

I'm pretty sure I messaged someone about this already.  But there's so much awful stuff here.  It's frustrating.  

Probably mostly a recap:

there's weird function definitions like:
function(i,j,k)
int i, j, k;  {

}

I'm wondering if the writer ever actually tried running the code.  I don't think that'd compile in C.  

It looks like that's what you're supposed to do in fortran?  I'm just guessing, because there's some parts of fortran also in the lines of code.  

There's also frustrating stuff like, in the fortran code it very clearly says "chapter".  It's not even a smudge, but based off context and fortran keywords, it's supposed to be "character".  

This whole assignment is becoming more like:
-copy this program, while fixing the typos, and fill in the blank spaces where you have no idea what's supposed to be happening.  

Legend

That doesn't look fun. Is this a popular course with lots of other people complaining about the program online?

the-pi-guy

That doesn't look fun. Is this a popular course with lots of other people complaining about the program online?
Nope.
I can't find anyone talking about the book in the first place.  

Legend

https://www.reddit.com/r/funny/comments/bldzyn/technologically_advanced/

All the comments are about software development. Sounds about right.

darkknightkryta

So I have to work on this program that is being taken out of a physics book.

The assignment is to fill in some missing pieces to make it work, is what I was told to do.  

I'm pretty sure I messaged someone about this already.  But there's so much awful stuff here.  It's frustrating.  

Probably mostly a recap:

there's weird function definitions like:
function(i,j,k)
int i, j, k;  {

}

I'm wondering if the writer ever actually tried running the code.  I don't think that'd compile in C.  

It looks like that's what you're supposed to do in fortran?  I'm just guessing, because there's some parts of fortran also in the lines of code.  

There's also frustrating stuff like, in the fortran code it very clearly says "chapter".  It's not even a smudge, but based off context and fortran keywords, it's supposed to be "character".  

This whole assignment is becoming more like:
-copy this program, while fixing the typos, and fill in the blank spaces where you have no idea what's supposed to be happening.  
I can't remember specifically, but I do remember looking at "old" C and it looked something like that.  It might actually be right... if it was written in the 70s.

the-pi-guy

May 11, 2019, 12:36 AM Last Edit: May 11, 2019, 12:45 AM by the-pi-guy
There's one thing I'm also having issues with.
The book isn't consistent with where the code continues.  All of the code is in two columns.

It looks like they printed off the code, and then photocopied it for the book. 

The reason I think this is because there's a weird cutoff in one of the pages, and at that spot, the code continues on the previous page's right column.

If each quote block is a printed page, with the left and right columns, it looks like this:
Header

f = 32;print g

g = f + 2done

Header

Add it to the pile of things that piss me off about this.

F it gets even worse. 

It literally has a section of code that ends 1/4th of the column on one page, and then it returns to the previous page, and the rest of the column is a completely different method. 

the-pi-guy

Finally got that to the point where it runs.  
Not sure if it's correct or anything, but still great.  

Working on game project now.  

Have to figure out how I want the player to move.  The starter code has it set to move really slow which doesn't feel very satisfying.  

Have a rough idea of what I want to do, but I'm feeling intimidated.  

Legend

Finally got that to the point where it runs.  
Not sure if it's correct or anything, but still great.  

Working on game project now.  

Have to figure out how I want the player to move.  The starter code has it set to move really slow which doesn't feel very satisfying.  

Have a rough idea of what I want to do, but I'm feeling intimidated.  

Code: [Select]
if(playing){
    player.Move();
}

;)

the-pi-guy

if(playing){
    player.Move();
}

;)
I think it can all be managed by:

while(gameRunning){
    game();
}

the-pi-guy

It's going to be hard to finish the game.  :(

It's due tomorrow night and I've barely started.

the-pi-guy

It's going to be hard to finish the game.  :(

It's due tomorrow night and I've barely started.

Might be able to finish it tomorrow.  There's a chance.  A lot of anxiety either way though.  

Legend

Might be able to finish it tomorrow.  There's a chance.  A lot of anxiety either way though.  
You can do it!!!  ;D

darkknightkryta

Just remember.  Moving a sprite from one end to another can be a game XD

the-pi-guy

Is there a quick and dirty way to do collision detection based off one location and the next one?

Go Up