-PS2
-PS3

Physical and Digital:
4.) Full Backwards compatibility:
-PS1
-PS2
-PS3

What do we expect?  

This far level 1 is the only thing that has been confirmed.  

2 or 3 seem likely.

4 is the dream, but I doubt it'll happen.

the-pi-guy

I know I've made similar threads, but this felt better thought out than my other ones.

My biggest question is will those PS2 on PS4 games be playable on PS5.  

Legend

Can ps5 read ps1 and ps2 discs?

PS4 couldn't play cds.

the-pi-guy

PS4 couldn't play cds.
Probably PS2.
PS1 is definitely up in the air. Haven't heard if CDs were skipped

Legend

Probably PS2.
PS1 is definitely up in the air. Haven't heard if CDs were skipped
Could you imagine if a usb cd reader could be used for ps1 bc? That'd be amazing.

kitler53

PS4 couldn't play cds.
ps4 can read cds.  sony just didn't pay the licensing fees to enable the feature for customers.  

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

Legend

ps4 can read cds.  sony just didn't pay the licensing fees to enable the feature for customers.  
Yeah. Do ps1 games avoid cd licensing? It's the exact same disc outside of the copy protection.

kitler53

Yeah. Do ps1 games avoid cd licensing? It's the exact same disc outside of the copy protection.
i honestly don't know.   i can't imagine CD licensing can cost all that much these days.  i think sony neglected it because there is quite literally no demand for it.  i'm sure sony would pay it if thats what they needed for ps1 support. 

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

the-pi-guy

I've never heard official confirmation either way.  

I'm sure that it does.  By some manufacturing magic, I'm sure it would probably be cheaper to use the standard manufacturing lines that include the CD reader than it would be to set up another line without it.  Just because of how standard the CD laser is.  

Legend

I've never heard official confirmation either way.  

I'm sure that it does.  By some manufacturing magic, I'm sure it would probably be cheaper to use the standard manufacturing lines that include the CD reader than it would be to set up another line without it.  Just because of how standard the CD laser is.  
Do cds use the same laser as dvds? It's like 600 nm vs 700 nm I think.