Update on VizionEck Cube Royale: where is it and what the heck is happening?

Started by Legend, Jul 28, 2020, 05:23 PM

previous topic - next topic

Legend

By 2018 I was worried about supporting a multiplayer community. When even huge companies regularly release multiplayer games that die within a month, I wasn't confident I'd fare better as an indie dev.

I worked on decreasing the importance of multiplayer, making it primarily a single player game, but that could only do so much unless the entire game was redesigned. I also looked at supporting more platforms with crossplay or launching the game on PS+ or gamepass. Nothing really seemed to solve the problem so I moved the game to the back burner while Twisty Puzzle Simulator, VizionEck Adventure, and Forged Odyssey were my focus.

2 years later and one project has finished while the other two are showing incredible potential. From a business perspective I don't think it'd be financially worth my time to return to Cube Royale even if I made all the changes I was thinking of. Game might manage to have a small dedicated community but without microtransactions it would be hard to keep it supported.

So the logical thing would be to just cancel the game. Being brutally honest, there is a chance that may happen. Right now though I have a much cooler idea.

If Forged Odyssey is successful, I plan to make Cube Royale a free exclusive for people who own other VizionEck games. If you own Twisty Puzzle Simulator, Forged Odyssey, VizionEck Adventure, or any other game I release in the future, you automatically get access to Cube Royale on every platform. If you do not own any of them, you must buy one of them to get the game: Cube Royale itself cannot be bought.

This turns the game into a fun community event between all VizionEck LLC players, instead of it being an isolated product. New game releases can breath new life into Cube Royale and if it's impossible to play at times, that's ok. It will not be supported like a traditional game where updates and marketing are used to reignite interest.

So VizionEck Cube Royale will not release before Forged Odyssey. It will release closer to VizionEck Adventure if everything goes to plan.

SWORDF1SH

Just give me VizionEck Adventure!

Legend

Just give me VizionEck Adventure!
Everything is dependent on how Forged Odyssey goes. If it goes great, Adventure could come out soon as well.

Otherwise I'll probably get a job at another studio cause I need to eat.

kitler53

2 years later and one project has finished while the other two are showing incredible potential. From a business perspective I don't think it'd be financially worth my time to return to Cube Royale even if I made all the changes I was thinking of. Game might manage to have a small dedicated community but without microtransactions it would be hard to keep it supported.

So the logical thing would be to just cancel the game. Being brutally honest, there is a chance that may happen. Right now though I have a much cooler idea.
i told you that like a week after you announced the game..

i'm sorry but i'm not sorry.  no indie developer should be making an online-mp focused game.  it takes a massive ad budget to generate the hype required to get enough people to buy the game day-1 to generate the kind of community required to run a mp game. 

cancel it and cancel it now.   your adventure, puzzle game is far more suited to the amount of investment you have to dedicate to your project.

indies should be doing couch co-op games because the AAA have entirely abandoned the feature and there is still a lot of demand for it. 

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

SWORDF1SH

Everything is dependent on how Forged Odyssey goes. If it goes great, Adventure could come out soon as well.

Otherwise I'll probably get a job at another studio cause I need to eat.
I will give you $60. Adventure is where it's at.

Legend

I will give you $60. Adventure is where it's at.
You're too generous.

I'll take $40.

the-pi-guy

You're too generous.

I'll take $40.
$50, take it or leave it square!  

SWORDF1SH

$55. Outbidded sucker!

Legend

I have never heard square used like that, outside of fare and square.

Guess I'll take it.