Death Stranding and breath of the wild have been my most influential games this gen. hbu?

Started by Legend, Jul 27, 2020, 04:59 PM

previous topic - next topic

Legend

Botw physics/chemistry system is cool but I was already a fan of that stuff before the game.

I'm talking about its world exploration. It basically flips Walt Disney's weenies upside down for smaller stuff. Climb a tower or mountain and you can spot interesting locations that are otherwise easy to miss from the ground. Big weenies lead to small weenies. Even without the glider, vantage points in the game are actually useful.

Death Stranding has been even more influential for me. I went into the game not knowing anything about the mechanics and on paper some of the stuff may sound bad, but it has the best platforming I have ever played. You are not a superhero. You are not Nathan Drake. You are a man that actually has to put one foot in front of the other. Ground actually matters instead of just being a "walk" or "no walk" flag. All the tools make it fun to plan out a route instead of just going forward.

I was also really influenced by the gameplay progression. Minor spoilers.
Spoiler for Hidden:
<br>Every other game nowadays treats progression as an upgrade. Do more damage, have more abilities, etc. Even without level scaling you still don&#39;t change that much.<br><br>In Death Stranding, gameplay itself changes. Best early example is the B.T.s. They are super scary and can&#39;t be hurt. It&#39;s a stealth game with a few stealth upgrades. But after a fair few hours, weapons are introduced that can kill them. The goal of interacting with a B.T. changes.<br>

How about you? I focused on game mechanics but you can post influential stories, moments, marketing, etc.

Xevross

If by influential you mean games that have had the most effect on me and changed my perspective on games then I'm not sure.

BOTW for sure I agree with, its the #1 game I thought of when I saw this. Heck I went from a big Sony fan(-boy ish) to rocking a Nintendo character as my avatar in places because I loved the game so much.

Outside of that I don't know really. If I count TLOU:R then that for sure since I played the game for the first time this gen and obviously it blew me away and made me connect with a video game story like none ever had before. Only RDR2 and TLOU2 since then have really delivered a big budget story which emotionally connects in the same way but they didn't quite manage the peak of TLOU.