Next Gen Playstation Specs Revealed By Mark Cerny

Started by Xevross, Apr 16, 2019, 01:28 PM

previous topic - next topic

kitler53

Nothing surprising.

A lot to be revealed yet.

I expect a full reveal mid to late this year.
all depends on release date.  i expect early 2020 if release is holiday 2020.  

i kind of expect (read: hope) and early 2020 release though.  never really understood the holiday release thing.  at the very least launch in early fall (september).  let the fanboys buy up the launch units so there are more for the casuals to buy in holidays.  launching in november, imo, just means lots of people that want your thing can't buy your think.  good for resellers,. not for sellers.

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

ethomaz

Yeap I hope for Q1 2020 (March?) release too ;)

There is a rumor about Sony reveal event being in Q2.

the-pi-guy

Apr 17, 2019, 03:41 PM Last Edit: Apr 23, 2020, 02:49 PM by the-pi-guy
Spoiler for First Wired:
<br><a href="https://www.wired.com/story/exclusive-sony-next-gen-console/" class="bbc_link">https://www.wired.com/story/exclusive-sony-next-gen-console/</a><br><br><div class="quoteheader">Quote</div><blockquote class="bbc_standard_quote">PlayStation's next-generation console ticks all those boxes, starting with an AMD chip at the heart of the device. (Warning: some alphabet soup follows.) The CPU is based on the third generation of AMD's Ryzen line and contains eight cores of the company's new 7nm Zen 2 microarchitecture. The GPU, a custom variant of Radeon's Navi family, will support ray tracing, a technique that models the travel of light to simulate complex interactions in 3D environments. While ray tracing is a staple of Hollywood visual effects and is beginning to worm its way into high-end processors and Nvidia&#39;s recently announced RTX line, no game console has been able to manage it. Yet.<br></blockquote><div class="quotefooter"></div><div class="quoteheader">Quote</div><blockquote class="bbc_standard_quote">The AMD chip also includes a custom unit for 3D audio that Cerny thinks will redefine what sound can do in a videogame<br></blockquote><div class="quotefooter"></div><div class="quoteheader">Quote</div><blockquote class="bbc_standard_quote">"I won&#39;t go into the details of our VR strategy today," he says, "beyond saying that VR is very important to us and that the current PSVR headset is compatible with the new console."<br></blockquote><div class="quotefooter"></div><div class="quoteheader">Quote</div><blockquote class="bbc_standard_quote">At the moment, Sony won't cop to exact details about the SSD--who makes it, whether it utilizes the new PCIe 4.0 standard--but Cerny claims that it has a raw bandwidth higher than any SSD available for PCs. That's not all. "The raw read speed is important," Cerny says, "but so are the details of the I/O [input-output] mechanisms and the software stack that we put on top of them. I got a PlayStation 4 Pro and then I put in a SSD that cost as much as the PlayStation 4 Pro--it might be one-third faster.&quot; As opposed to 19 times faster for the next-gen console, judging from the fast-travel demo.<br></blockquote><div class="quotefooter"></div>

DerNebel

A lot of things seem like definite BS.
Yeah, either the things he got right were lucky guesses or he deliberately put a lot of BS in there. I mean why would a small EU third party dev ever have this sort of insight into Sony's plan? Makes no sense.

the-pi-guy

A lot of this seems to fit very well with what we know.
This part is the biggest part that I'm doubting is real:
-PSVR2 in 2020 also,reveal with ps5,big resolution boost probably 2560x1440,120hz,220 field of view,eye tracking,wireless,battery life 4-5 hours,headphones integrated,less motion sickenss,no breaker box,much less cable management,much more focus on VR for aaa games,price around 250$

A 220 fov is a bit nonsense.  120 fov would make a lot more sense.  

Not sure if the 2560x1440 is per eye or total.  I'm assuming total.  That'd be 1280x1440 per eye.  Which would make for a modest upgrade.  Per eye would be a little bizarre of a resolution.  But total would put it somewhere between the Rift and the Vive Pro.

Eye tracking would be smart.  But I don't see wireless and eye tracking happening at $250.  For PC, it currently costs about $300 to add wireless to an existing headset.  

Sony isn't going to sell PSVR2 at a loss, not until VR gets big.  I could see this happening at $400-500, not at $250.  

Raise the resolution, and it'd a fantastic headset for 2020. If it were utilizing foveated rendering, PSVR2 could be relevant for a good while.

the-pi-guy

darkknightkryta

Maybe the console is coming out later than people think if devs are just getting the devkits.

the-pi-guy

Maybe the console is coming out later than people think if devs are just getting the devkits.
Well it doesn't necessarily mean that some studios didn't get devkits before.  They could just be having a big roll out at the moment, but they might have given some earlier devkits to a few of the bigger studios.  

It's also possible to be working on games without a devkit.  Even if they're mostly just working on concepts.

I found this for the PS4:

https://www.vg247.com/2012/11/01/ps4_details_playstation_4/

There are to be four versions of the dev kit, we were told. A previous version was essentially just a graphics card. The version shipping now is a "modified PC," and the third version, appearing in January, will be close to final spec. A final version will be delivered to developers "next summer".
No idea how true it is, but there's a lot of outlets that reported it.  This means that devs didn't get the final dev kit until just a few months before the PS4 was released.  And that they only got a reasonably complete devkit a year before it came out.  

Depending on how similar the rollout of the PS5 is and which devkit version this is (first, second, third, etc), it feels like it lines up very well with PS5 launching March or November 2020.  

Assuming all the reports of the devkits are true.  Which is hard to say because they weren't official announcements.

Dr. Pezus

Well it doesn't necessarily mean that some studios didn't get devkits before.  They could just be having a big roll out at the moment, but they might have given some earlier devkits to a few of the bigger studios.  

It's also possible to be working on games without a devkit.  Even if they're mostly just working on concepts.

I found this for the PS4:

https://www.vg247.com/2012/11/01/ps4_details_playstation_4/

No idea how true it is, but there's a lot of outlets that reported it.  This means that devs didn't get the final dev kit until just a few months before the PS4 was released.  And that they only got a reasonably complete devkit a year before it came out.  

Depending on how similar the rollout of the PS5 is and which devkit version this is (first, second, third, etc), it feels like it lines up very well with PS5 launching March or November 2020.  

Assuming all the reports of the devkits are true.  Which is hard to say because they weren't official announcements.
Not March. Probably Fall '20.

the-pi-guy

Not March. Probably Fall '20.
Well yeah, that was pretty much confirmed when I posted that.  

I was just referencing that rumor, I thought Fall is a given.

BananaKing

Have there been any rumors of the next Xbox specs?

darkknightkryta

Have there been any rumors of the next Xbox specs?
Word on the street is that Microsoft is having 2 consoles.  One that's slightly weaker than the PS4 Pro, but with an updated feature set so that it can run next gen games at 1080p.  One a bit more powerful than the ps5, or the same.  Ps5 and the next Xbox are both capped to about 14 tflops.  Depends who gets closest to that.

the-pi-guy

May 01, 2019, 10:36 PM Last Edit: May 01, 2019, 10:39 PM by the-pi-guy

the-pi-guy

kitler53

PlayStation R&D Head Outlines 'Next-Gen' VR Headsets
nothing too exciting here.  more pixals.  more FoV.  wireless would be cool i guess.  what i really want to know is about new controllers.  i'm going to be sooo disappointe if they don't drastically improve on the move controller inputs. 

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

Go Up