What the PlayStation Classic is doing wrong

Started by DerNebel, Nov 27, 2018, 06:40 PM

previous topic - next topic

DerNebel

I feel like the PS Classic deserves a rant from me.

To me this product looks to be another example of something that Sony does sometimes, which I absolutely loathe. That is they take an idea from another company that has been successful for them, copy it, but are then too cheap to actually fund that project properly, to make it turn out right.

They have actually been way better with this in this generation, but they've done a shame ton of those things during the last generation.

The Move?
Their weird mascot racer games?
Almost all their multiplayer shooters?
fudgy PS All Stars?

Out of all those PS All Stars hurts the most to me, cause on paper that game could have been amazing, but Sony cheaped out like crazy. The roster of that game is a joke and that is entirely to blame on Sony not being willing to spend what is necessary for a game like this. Instead they shimed it out, it bombed and the idea will probably never be picked up again by them, because it failed once, which sucks because a game like this could genuinely be amazing.

I feel like Sony has realised this gen that their approach to first party development can't be to make cheaper versions of third party games or games from other first party publishers (even something like Infamous for instance is blatantly underfunded for an open world game) and that they instead need to have their games be the cream of the crop on their system and that shows.

But then you have the PS Classic, a product which just oozes PS3 era Sony. Cheap copy of a successful product, that they don't want to put the thought and effort into to make it what it could be. What is that game selection? What is that emulation? Why does this not come with the Dualshock controllers?

I mean I'm actually sure, that they'll make money on this, but seriously why does this have to be the PS Classic we'll get?                                                                        

Xevross

I feel like the PS Classic deserves a rant from me.

To me this product looks to be another example of something that Sony does sometimes, which I absolutely loathe. That is they take an idea from another company that has been successful for them, copy it, but are then too cheap to actually fund that project properly, to make it turn out right.

They have actually been way better with this in this generation, but they've done a shame ton of those things during the last generation.

The Move?
Their weird mascot racer games?
Almost all their multiplayer shooters?
fudgy PS All Stars?

Out of all those PS All Stars hurts the most to me, cause on paper that game could have been amazing, but Sony cheaped out like crazy. The roster of that game is a joke and that is entirely to blame on Sony not being willing to spend what is necessary for a game like this. Instead they shimed it out, it bombed and the idea will probably never be picked up again by them, because it failed once, which sucks because a game like this could genuinely be amazing.

I feel like Sony has realised this gen that their approach to first party development can't be to make cheaper versions of third party games or games from other first party publishers (even something like Infamous for instance is blatantly underfunded for an open world game) and that they instead need to have their games be the cream of the crop on their system and that shows.

But then you have the PS Classic, a product which just oozes PS3 era Sony. Cheap copy of a successful product, that they don't want to put the thought and effort into to make it what it could be. What is that game selection? What is that emulation? Why does this not come with the Dualshock controllers?

I mean I'm actually sure, that they'll make money on this, but seriously why does this have to be the PS Classic we'll get?                                                                        
Agreed, Sony have got a lot better in some ways this gen but have really dropped the ball on others. The Classic is such a weird one, because it seems like, not only did they put in such little effort, they actively made some terrible design choices. Like surely it would have been pretty easy to use the 60Hz version of those games instead. Using a third party emulator as well, instead of one they made themselves. Its going to make them loads of money, simply because they've spent fudge all making it.

And the same thing could happen here as with those games, the way the PS Classic sells might encourage Sony to drop the classic idea altogether, or put no effort into their future classic as well.

Kerotan

I'm very interested to see how this turns out. They'll probably do a ps2 classic in 4 or 5 years so if this sells a lot they'll take the same approach with the ps2.

While i loved the ps1 and ps2 back in the day I've no interest in buying a classic console.

the-pi-guy

I split the topic because I felt like this really deserves a thread.  :P
Hopefully that's alright.  

There's been a lot that they've done wrong with the PS classic.  They are using a free emulator, and they are using the PAL versions that run at 50 Hz.  A bunch of bad decisions that make no sense .

Xevross

I split the topic because I felt like this really deserves a thread.  :P
Hopefully that's alright.  

There's been a lot that they've done wrong with the PS classic.  They are using a free emulator, and they are using the PAL versions that run at 50 Hz.  A bunch of bad decisions that make no sense .
Lol this might be the first time a split topic actually has an OP which reads like an OP :P

Cute Pikachu

Honestly it's saddening. I was actually planning on picking up the PlayStation classic because I never had a PlayStation 1. I wanted to be able to play these classic games and see what the fuss was about(especially FF7 since I never played it). However, the fact that they used a public emulator and the 50 hrz was upsetting. I'm hopeful they release a better version of it, or make te PS2 Classic fantastic.
The Vizioneck Nintendo Fanboy!

Switch Software Sales Guide:
http://vizioneck.com/forum/index.php?topic=5895.msg218699#new

Ludicrous Speed

It's doing everything wrong.

Price - wrong
Games - wrong
Controllers - wrong
Performance - wrong

It's shocking how badly it seems to be, it's like one of those cheap retro consoles you find at Walmart only over double the price and actually made by the real console maker.

ethomaz

Everything except the design.

SWORDF1SH

Sony, during the PS3 era, was in a bad way and I can see why they didn't want to risk big money on projects that could fail. Too many failed projects could of had proved to be the final nails in their coffin.
Not really much excuse now though.

Xevross

Dec 05, 2018, 03:45 PM Last Edit: Dec 05, 2018, 03:47 PM by Xevross

You couldn't write this shame. I guess Sony tried to get these games on but couldn't in the end? If they could get these games but just decided not to then hoo boy.

the-pi-guy

He deleted his tweet, and no one saved the image!!!  WTL.

Xevross

He deleted his tweet, and no one saved the image!!!  WTL.
Sad. It was basically every top tier ps1 game.

the-pi-guy

Chocobo's Mysterious Dungeon
Colin McRae Rally
Crash Bandicoot
Crash 2
Toy Story 2
Driver
Ehrgeiz
Fighting Force
Gran Turismo
GTA 2
Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
Kagero
Klonoa
Kula World
Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver
Medal of Honor
MediEvil
Mega Man Legends
Mr. Driller G
Paca Paca Passion
PaRappa the Rapper
Parasite Eve
RayStorm
Ridge Racer
Silent Hill
Spec Ops: Stealth Patrol
Street Fighter Alpha 3
Street Fighter EX Plus Alpha
Suikoden
Tomb Raider
Tomb Raider 2
Tomba
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2
Vagrant Story
Wild Arms 2
Xevious 3D/G+
IGN saved the list!
PlayStation Classic Datamine Seems to Reveal 36 Rejected Games - IGN

Ludicrous Speed

It's almost like they read all of our whining about excluded games and trolled us.

Driver, Vagrant Story, Soul Reaver, Medal of Honor, GT, Tony Hawk 2, Suikoden, Silent Hill, EX+ Alpha... oh my.

Then again the games included apparently run like dog, so meh.

darkknightkryta

There's only really like 3 games from the current list that shouldn't be there.   Now what they should have done, is taken the Vita TVs insides, put in the 20 games they released, and setup a new skin for the PS Store and only filter PSX games, and release it in a PSX case.