Comcast approached EA for merger

Started by the-pi-guy, May 20, 2022, 08:26 PM

previous topic - next topic

the-pi-guy

May 20, 2022, 08:26 PM Last Edit: May 20, 2022, 08:27 PM by the-pi-guy
In recent years, as media companies have taken greater interest in the rapidly-growing gaming industry, Wilson and Electronic Arts have held talks with a number of different potential suitors, including Disney, Apple and Amazon, sources with knowledge of those talks told me. Several sources familiar with these talks say EA has been persistent in pursuing a sale, and has only grown more emboldened in the wake of the Microsoft-Activision deal. Others say that EA is primarily interested in a merger arrangement that would allow Wilson to remain as chief executive of the combined company
As it turns out, Roberts saw this logic as well. In the wake of the Microsoft-Activision deal, Roberts approached Electronic Arts C.E.O. Andrew Wilson with a proposal to spin off NBCUniversal and merge the media and gaming giants, four sources with knowledge of the proposal told me. The general terms of the proposal, which lawyers and bankers for both sides negotiated for several weeks, would have seen the Roberts family take majority control of the combined entity. In the configuration most seriously discussed, the company would have been run by Wilson. If the deal went through on those terms, NBCUniversal C.E.O. Jeff Shell would likely have been elevated to another role at Comcast, one source with knowledge of the plans said. Shell was involved in deal discussions, I am told.

Legend

If it was spun off as a separate entity not just a subsidy, that wouldn't have been too bad imo.

Would have been very strange though.

the-pi-guy

If it was spun off as a separate entity not just a subsidy, that wouldn't have been too bad imo.

Would have been very strange though.
It's just wild to me that EA is looking to sell.

Who's gonna be left in a few years.

kitler53

It's just wild to me that EA is looking to sell.

Who's gonna be left in a few years.
VizionEck LLC.  

some people will never sell no matter the price. 

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

Legend

VizionEck LLC. 

some people will never sell no matter the price.
Yeah I'm fighting against consolidation. That's also why I'm not looking to buy EA.