4D Miner

Started by Legend, May 15, 2022, 04:07 PM

previous topic - next topic

Legend

The game failed its kickstarter just a few days ago but is now "going viral," partially thanks to a Notch tweet.

It's the full real deal and renders a 3D slice of a 4D world. My 4D prototypes in contrast render the entire 4D world, but I could never figure out a definitive way to present that information to the player.

darkknightkryta

I'm just trying to grasp this; are they merging two 4D cross-sections into each other?  Cause that's what I was gathering when they merged the 4D cross-section into the 2D Space.

Legend

I'm just trying to grasp this; are they merging two 4D cross-sections into each other?  Cause that's what I was gathering when they merged the 4D cross-section into the 2D Space.
A 4D cross section is 3D, just like how the cross section of a 2D picture is 1D. It's just taking a point and a direction, and removing everything that isn't perpendicular to that direction at that point.  So they just slice the 4D voxels into a 3D mesh and render that traditionally.

It's the same approach explained in this video.

darkknightkryta

A 4D cross section is 3D, just like how the cross section of a 2D picture is 1D. It's just taking a point and a direction, and removing everything that isn't perpendicular to that direction at that point.  So they just slice the 4D voxels into a 3D mesh and render that traditionally.

It's the same approach explained in this video.

Time :P.  Games are technically already 4D.  But is that's what's happening?  They're merging two spaces into one?

Legend

Time :P.  Games are technically already 4D.  But is that's what's happening?  They're merging two spaces into one?

4D usually refers to 4 spatial dimensions.  8)

I'm not sure I understand what you're thinking but there's definitely no merging. It's just one 4D space that is limited to a 3D slice when displayed.

kitler53

Time :P.  Games are technically already 4D.  But is that's what's happening?  They're merging two spaces into one?

just watch the 4D minor video.   there is a 1 minute 2D render of 3D space analogy that is easy to understand.  then just extrapolate the idea to our 3D render of the 4D space we can't understand. 

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

darkknightkryta

4D usually refers to 4 spatial dimensions.  8)

I'm not sure I understand what you're thinking but there's definitely no merging. It's just one 4D space that is limited to a 3D slice when displayed.
It looks like two spaces are merged on-top of each other.

just watch the 4D minor video.   there is a 1 minute 2D render of 3D space analogy that is easy to understand.  then just extrapolate the idea to our 3D render of the 4D space we can't understand.
That's why I was asking if two 3D slices were laid on-top of each other like that 2D cross-section.

kitler53

It looks like two spaces are merged on-top of each other.

That's why I was asking if two 3D slices were laid on-top of each other like that 2D cross-section.
i don't know what to say other than you seem very confused.

in the video they showed on one side a 3D object and then what that object would look like in 2D when you make a cross section of that object.   they then showed how that 2D cross section can be rotated so that objects seems to "appear or disappear" at random but to those that can view the full 3D we can understand why because we can grasp what the object is in all 3 dimensions.

the game has a 4D object.   We can't view 4D objects,.. we can only understand 3D objects.   the game renders a 3D "cross section" of a 4D object and give you the ability to rotate that 3D cross section.  this (similarly to the above) seems to cause things to "appear or disappear".    

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens