Sony FY21 report

Started by the-pi-guy, May 10, 2022, 01:59 PM

previous topic - next topic

the-pi-guy

sauce

Interesting data points:
  • 2 million PS5's sold during Q4 (January-March)
  • 19.3 million PS5 sales LTD
  • Forecast 18 million for next year
  • 66% digital ratio for the past year
  • Expect Bungie sale to close in Q3 (by December)
  • 40 billion yen ($300 million) year over year increase in software development at existing studios.

SWORDF1SH

the-pi-guy

Any more info?
There's lots of info at the link.
I just picked the stuff I thought was interesting/thought others might find interesting.

Overall, Sony is very profitable, but they missed expectations by a bit.

kitler53

There's lots of info at the link.
I just picked the stuff I thought was interesting/thought others might find interesting.

Overall, Sony is very profitable, but they missed expectations by a bit.
everyone is.   they fact their stock stayed flat is a big win in this environment.   most companies are crashing on earnings.   

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

the-pi-guy

Sony Interactive is speaking in about 2 hours.
Discussing plans and the like.

Think last year, this was where they said Uncharted was coming to PC.

Might get more details about mobile.

the-pi-guy

May 25, 2022, 11:02 PM Last Edit: May 25, 2022, 11:11 PM by the-pi-guy
https://www.sony.com/en/SonyInfo/IR/library/presen/irday/pdf/2022/GNS_E.pdf

Sony expects in 2025:
~50% on console
~30% on PC
~20% on mobile

(seems to be releases?)

14emG1w.png

the-pi-guy

Ugh, really don't like the GaaS push.

the-pi-guy

What we learned:

1.) At least currently, PC is a growth area but it's not their focus. In 2025, they are still expecting more games to launch on PS5 than on PC. Day 1 PC games is clearly not going to be the norm.

2.) Live service is a big area. They expect it to be a huge growth area. And if I am reading this correctly, they are going to be spending about half of their development investment into Live Service this year. Bungie is obviously a big part of it.  

2b.) 2 live service games to come out this year yet.  

3.) They mention 20+ major first and third party games on PSVR2 launch day.  

Best case construction, I think their live service push is a lot like their PS3 push, where they had a lot more multiplayer games. So I'm hoping this will be a lot like the PS3 gen.  

Still, it makes me a bit sad that they are putting so much focus on live service.

kitler53

May 26, 2022, 01:02 AM Last Edit: May 26, 2022, 01:08 AM by kitler53
those PC sales numbers are pretty weak really.  under a million for GoW and only $26m.   not even worth the effort when you factor in the mindshare loss for letting it not be an exclusive anymore. 

Best case construction, I think their live service push is a lot like their PS3 push, where they had a lot more multiplayer games. So I'm hoping this will be a lot like the PS3 gen.  

Still, it makes me a bit sad that they are putting so much focus on live service.
as a guy that doesn't like pvp this makes me sad.  I really hope we see more in the way of coop games (like destiny raids) instead and then I'll be happy. 

but even then, games like destiny has amazing core gameplay but it's made bad by the business model.   the hamster wheel of it is infuriating. 

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

Legend

I love the slide saying they want to invest 50 50 in new ip verse exisiting ip. For 2022 it's one third new ip.

Almost everything else is incredibly worrying lol. I want to come back to this thread in 2 years and see how the heck things turned out.

Looks like TLOU Factions will release this year. That plus The Show and Destiny puts them at 3 live service games for 2022. Or they could have another game ready that I'm not thinking of.

The "confidence" in live service is astounding. They're pouring money in and expecting nothing but success. Heck Destiny itself has been pretty rocky and I wouldn't believe these numbers even if all the new games magically came from Bungie.

Realistically I think by 2025 they could have maybe 5 live service games that are actually popular, assuming they don't just buy existing ones.

hose PC sales numbers are pretty weak really.  under a million for GoW and only $26m.   not even worth the effort when you factor in the mindshare loss for letting it not be an exclusive anymore.
Yup. It's "free" money only if it doesn't harm their income elsewhere.

And how the heck are they expecting $300 million for FY22? They have the Uncharted Collection and that's it. Maybe they're being misleading and including Destiny pc numbers?

BananaKing

I love the slide saying they want to invest 50 50 in new ip verse exisiting ip. For 2022 it's one third new ip.

Almost everything else is incredibly worrying lol. I want to come back to this thread in 2 years and see how the heck things turned out.

Looks like TLOU Factions will release this year. That plus The Show and Destiny puts them at 3 live service games for 2022. Or they could have another game ready that I'm not thinking of.

The "confidence" in live service is astounding. They're pouring money in and expecting nothing but success. Heck Destiny itself has been pretty rocky and I wouldn't believe these numbers even if all the new games magically came from Bungie.

Realistically I think by 2025 they could have maybe 5 live service games that are actually popular, assuming they don't just buy existing ones.

And how the heck are they expecting $300 million for FY22? They have the Uncharted Collection and that's it. Maybe they're being misleading and including Destiny pc numbers?
Maybe the last of us factions will release day 1 on PC. And the other live service game too

the-pi-guy

May 26, 2022, 10:11 AM Last Edit: May 26, 2022, 10:27 AM by the-pi-guy
Horizon (Netflix), God of War (Amazon) & Gran Turismo TV series

Revealed by Sony pictures.

Jim Ryan said Destiny wasn't included.

They probably have a live service game coming out on PC. There's a studio partner that seems likely to launch a game this year.

I hope live service crashes with maybe 2 successes. And then they can expand their traditional titles.  :(

At the very least, the slides show an increase in investment for traditional titles as well.  

the-pi-guy

those PC sales numbers are pretty weak really.  under a million for GoW and only $26m.   not even worth the effort when you factor in the mindshare loss for letting it not be an exclusive anymore.
I think it'd be different if Xbox had any exclusives.

the-pi-guy

I can stand their PC push, but ugh why are they putting so much towards live service.

BananaKing

I can stand their PC push, but ugh why are they putting so much towards live service.
Because they make money and they don't have any at the moment.

Their push for single player games isn't as strong because they already have a strong single player output. So they increase that gradually.

Personally I am excited about their multiplayer push. They had little to offer in the PS4 gen, which was sad because their multiplayer offerings during PS3 were awesome