Super Mario RPG |OT| Formerly Legend of the Seven Stars

Started by the-pi-guy, Oct 18, 2023, 01:42 PM

previous topic - next topic

Dr. Pezus

the-pi-guy

I'm rather curious how the score would break down amongst people who played the original vs the ones that didn't.  

I've only really looked at the lower ones, and they mostly sound like they're fans of the original.

Legend

I'm rather curious how the score would break down amongst people who played the original vs the ones that didn't.  

I've only really looked at the lower ones, and they mostly sound like they're fans of the original.
I'll let you know what I think when I play it in a few years. You've made the game sound cool.

the-pi-guy

Nov 16, 2023, 04:17 PM Last Edit: Nov 16, 2023, 04:26 PM by the-pi-guy

Spoils the whole opening.

But calls it one of the best visual overhauls he's ever seen, and a showcase for Unity Engine (for the Switch)

the-pi-guy

Runs at full resolution for docked and handheld mode.

Runs at 60 fps most of the time. A few areas where it can drop down to ~40fps. But has some very weird choppiness. John speculates it has to do with how the camera is programmed to move.

Legend

Runs at full resolution for docked and handheld mode.

Runs at 60 fps most of the time. A few areas where it can drop down to ~40fps. But has some very weird choppiness. John speculates it has to do with how the camera is programmed to move.
You mentioned platforming so I guess 60 fps would be nice for that, but this seems like an obvious game to do 30fps locked.

And omg lol at the camera thing. I'm not watching the video to avoid spoilers, but that sounds like a common Unity mistake. Would be pretty funny if that was it.

the-pi-guy

Nov 17, 2023, 04:19 AM Last Edit: Nov 17, 2023, 04:21 AM by the-pi-guy
I'll let you know what I think when I play it in a few years. You've made the game sound cool.
Reading the Era thread made me appreciate the game even more than I did before.

Some things I loved about it:

I technically spoil some gameplay mechanics, but I doubt most people would consider anything here is a spoiler.

In short the game is surprisingly fast paced and interactive than one would expect from seeing it.
Spoiler for Hidden:
<br>The game is turn based. But it has timed hits where if you hit the button at the right time it doubles the damage to others or I believe potentially zeros out the damage caused to you.&nbsp; I liked that it was more interactive. <br><br>I thought the battle system was neat. With mapping items to the X button, attacks to the A button, etc.<br><br>Makes it faster paced and more interactive than a typical turn based game. <br><br>It&#39;s also pretty cool that it was kind of a 3D lite Mario game on the Super Nintendo. Months before Super Mario 64, but obviously very limited. <br><br>It&#39;s also a very lean RPG. There&#39;s virtually no grinding. It has fantastic pacing. <br><br>I think it was a fantastic game for the Super Nintendo and still is a fantastic game. <br><br>

the-pi-guy

I did the first encounter in the game this morning.

One minor thing I didn't like was that they changed the flow of how you select attacks. In the original for a special you would hit Y, and then you'd use Y to select the special, but now you would hit A. Probably not something that new players would be bothered by, but it breaks the flow of what I'm used to.  

I also wasn't hearing certain sound effects when I was playing. But that might have been my fault.

Legend

One minor thing I didn't like was that they changed the flow of how you select attacks. In the original for a special you would hit Y, and then you'd use Y to select the special, but now you would hit A. Probably not something that new players would be bothered by, but it breaks the flow of what I'm used to.  

I also wasn't hearing certain sound effects when I was playing. But that might have been my fault.
How would that have been your fault?

the-pi-guy

How would that have been your fault?
Was kind of playing on handheld mode in a slightly noisy environment.

the-pi-guy

There's a setting to fix this!  And I'm feeling unreasonably happy about it. Feeling tingly now.  

The sound effects are still there. They sound a little duller compared to the other original game/the music tends to overpower it a little bit.  Would be nice if you could adjust the audio a bit.  

the-pi-guy

They changed some of the controls.

So the original, I believe you would run by holding Y, but now that brings up one of the menus, and the X button brings up the item menu, which wasn't a thing before.
Nothing bad, just a little different. 

While playing, there's some weirdness.

You can see some of it in the trailers. When Mario is walking through a doorway, there's like a solid half a second where he is just shown walking into an invisible wall, instead of a smooth transition into the next scene. 

There's more floatiness I think, whereas the original felt pretty tight. There's better animations and whatnot, but it feels like it's a little different getting some of the timing right.

Not the perfect remake, but feeling really great about it right now.  Feeling really excited to keep playing. And it's a really good feeling.

the-pi-guy

I've put 9 hours into the game, between today and yesterday....

I can't remember the last time I did that.

I'm like 80% of the way done.

Dr. Pezus

I've put 9 hours into the game, between today and yesterday....

I can't remember the last time I did that.

I'm like 80% of the way done.
Oh it's so short?

the-pi-guy

Oh it's so short?

Apparently the original averaged 18 hours, but the remake is averaging more like 11 hours.

Its a very brisk game.

Go Up