Recent Posts

Pages[1] 2 3 ... 10
Off-Topic Community / Re: Movie Thread
Last post by the-pi-guy - Today at 02:20 PM
Watching Kung Fu Panda 4 as part of a birthday party for one of the kids in Bens class.
Gaming Community / Re: Say Anything About The Gam...
Last post by kitler53 - Today at 01:20 PM
it's not that that eldin ring "stinks" it's just that the transition to open world made the game worse in every way.    this is kind of timely because i came here specifically to mention that i finally started playing spiderman and the executive summary is: open world game design still sucks.

spiderman (i'm on the first in case that wasn't clear).    reminds me a lot the batman arkham city.   overall the game is fine but the pacing of the main story line is not improved by the:
1. go here to start a mission
2. do a mission
3. now go here to start another mission   ...or if you prefer here is a check-list of 1,000 not very engaging activities you can grid!!

it might just be me sucking or whatever but the combat system isn't really clicking with me.   spiderman has soo many "assisted animations" that i find combat to be very hard to control.   not sure if that phrase means anything but to summarize spiderman has a lot of situational animations to pick a thing in the environment and interact with it.   it makes sense why insomiac is doing that because it would be waaaay to complicated to play the game without them and then the combat wouldn't feel very "spiderman like".   ...but it also makes things feel like i'm only half in control of the game.

...and then it has all of the flaws of open world games (such as eldin ring).

encounters all feel like a check-list.   enemies are always tethered to a location so if you ever lose control of the fight you just move outside of the aggro radius and the encounter is on pause.   perhaps i just shouldn't do it but the game makes it soo easy to cheese that i can't help but to do it.

has there ever been a truly open world game??   one where the use of open world is actually part of the design and thus justified??    not just a series of "linear game designed elements" with shaming pacing?

Gaming Community / Re: Rise of the Ronin |OT|
Last post by Horizon - Today at 10:25 AM
I keep hearing really strong things about the game.

People seem to feel like reviewers were too harsh on the game.
I'd say the reviews should be higher. An 8 might be a fairer score. The combat is very addictive and there's lots of depth with customisation and weapons. There's also lots of characters to bond with and learn more about. Story is interesting enough so far and there lasting decisions to make. Like at the end of chapter 1 you have a major decision which will have a big outcome on the story for the rest of the game.
Off-Topic Community / Re: General Discussion Thread
Last post by Legend - Today at 05:06 AM
Oh no my extension that skips youtube ads stopped working!

It was so incredible. Automatically clicked the skip button the second it popped up. Hopefully it gets fixed.
Wow Elden Ring must stink!
Nah, it's definitely a great game.

It just doesn't offer a lot of what made the Souls games so fun.

To be honest, there are some silly reasons.

Like Uncharted 3, I felt a little bothered that they changed the pacing of the combat from 2.

It's kind of a similar thing with Elden Ring. There's lots of different weapons, but I haven't really found one that clicks with me. The game feels good, it doesn't feel great though.

It's all these little things, like how the character moves, and how quickly you can swing different swords. I haven't really found a sword in Elden Ring that really fits what I want (and I'm not sure there is one).

It's not necessarily enough for me, for a game to have the "right mechanics". There's also a feel aspect. 

And it bugs me a lot with Ghost of Tsushima. It has a number of similar combat mechanics to Dark Souls. I think one of the controller mapping even is the same as DS. But it's too loose.
Gaming Community / Re: Say Anything About The Gam...
Last post by Legend - Today at 04:00 AM
I played an hour of Dark Souls. Wanted to see how well it would hold up for me.

It was awesome.
Which the first time I played, it took like 15 hours before I started really enjoying it.

But I was having more fun with DS1 than I was having with Elden Ring.

Wow Elden Ring must stink!
I played an hour of Dark Souls. Wanted to see how well it would hold up for me.

It was awesome.
Which the first time I played, it took like 15 hours before I started really enjoying it.

But I was having more fun with DS1 than I was having with Elden Ring.
Off-Topic Community / Re: What minor thing grinds yo...
Last post by Legend - Yesterday at 11:19 PM
Since I'm in this thread already complaining about minor space things and Pi just talked about weird misunderstandings...

It's funny how these new slides from a SpaceX presentation are being used as evidence that starship failed and everything is now delayed while they redesign it.

CDN media
Elon Musk Gives Mega Starship Update - Flight 4 In May, Key NASA Test In  2025

SpaceX naming schemes make no sense but raptor 2 is the current one used for flight tests and starship 3 has been the plan since 2021.

edt: Just since I pulled it up to check my dates, yup Raptor 2 and Starship 3 all the way back in 2021. Say it aint so!
Last post by Legend - Yesterday at 07:54 PM
A really minor thing.

There's lots of weird misunderstandings that come up.

Like a lot of people think Pi is literally infinite somehow.
Well are you not? ;)

Edt: I already posted it years ago, but I see stuff like that so often.

https://www.reddit.com/r/confidentlyincorrect/comments/xa2ylm/still_my_most_favorite_one_yet/

Both these people are wrong.
Last post by the-pi-guy - Yesterday at 07:10 PM
A really minor thing.

There's lots of weird misunderstandings that come up.

Like a lot of people think Pi is literally infinite somehow.
Pages[1] 2 3 ... 10