The Gaming Community Thread! Multiplats and the like are welcome.

Started by Legend, Apr 23, 2015, 01:12 AM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

the-pi-guy

There's a VGC thread with the line that multiplayer games are essentially exempt from being about hours of playtime.  

I think it's interesting to think about.  If you were to trick players into playing single player when they thought it was multiplayer, would it have basically unlimited playtime possibilities?  

Legend

There's a VGC thread with the line that multiplayer games are essentially exempt from being about hours of playtime.  

I think it's interesting to think about.  If you were to trick players into playing single player when they thought it was multiplayer, would it have basically unlimited playtime possibilities?  
Multiplayer games are built around grinding, but also humans are just so much better than bots. You have a large amount of variation every match because people will play differently and you can react differently.

Plus it makes me think of the experiment where they had people do social media but with just bots. If it could work for that, it could work for games.

Legend

Makes me think of Elite Dangerous towards the end. I loved it and it was one of the greatest games to exist in... and then I started looking up things online and the magic was gone. Once you view a game as a collection of systems, it's impossible to keep that sense of exploration and discovery.

Xevross

Jun 01, 2018, 08:31 PM Last Edit: Jun 01, 2018, 08:34 PM by Xevross

Makes me think of Elite Dangerous towards the end. I loved it and it was one of the greatest games to exist in... and then I started looking up things online and the magic was gone. Once you view a game as a collection of systems, it's impossible to keep that sense of exploration and discovery.
Holy shame. I've been trying to work out exactly why I like some open world games and not others, and why BOTW is my favourite and this video has told me the answer!

Its because Zelda barely gives you any objectives, and pretty much everything you do is your own choice. Most of the map, you're going wherever you want to go, and not really towards some icon on the map symbolising something, or a quest location or anything like that.

Meanwhile something like The Witcher 3 complete overwhelmed me with loads of different objectives, so I felt like I was playing a checklist that kept getting bigger as I ticked things off, rather than playing a game. Like everywhere you go there's loads of question marks, dozens of quests to pick up and do, it was just too much stuff.

The Witcher 3 is the biggest offender I can think of, and other games fit on the scale in between that and BOTW.

And I know GOW isn't really open world, but this is one thing it does really well too. Objectives have their own areas, so you know where you're going and you know what you're doing when you go there. There isn't lots of different objectives fighting over the same space.

Legend

Anthem - Official Box Art revealed ahead of E3 | ResetEra

(​IMG) Saw this come across my feed. Anthem producer Mike Gamble confirmed it's the official box-art.  

nnodley

I actually quite like that as the box art.  

Legend

I am not sure. Makes me think of like a powerrangers movie maybe. Guess it all depends on how the game feels.

Dr. Pezus

BananaKing

Finished AC Origins. Really good game, though the main story could, and should have been better. That's the problem with rushing these games. While you can get the world, systems and everything done. The stories need time and revision to truly shine. Though I enjoyed my time with this a lot.

Bayek is cool. Aya is annoying though. So I hope they focus on Bayek in the next one

Xevross

Finished AC Origins. Really good game, though the main story could, and should have been better. That's the problem with rushing these games. While you can get the world, systems and everything done. The stories need time and revision to truly shine. Though I enjoyed my time with this a lot.

Bayek is cool. Aya is annoying though. So I hope they focus on Bayek in the next one
Yeah that's how I felt too. The second half of the story was just completely rushed. Half of the story in terms of play time was only like the very beginning of Bayek and Aya's story, but they just rushed through the rest.

the-pi-guy

nnodley

Nah I really want an Aya focused game, though bayek is awesome.  And considering the leak for assassins creed odyssey it sounds like we won't get bayek or aya.

Legend

Just played it too.

Kinda good imo. World was amazing and I loved seeing ancient Egypt. Combat, story, side quests, and the upgrade system were all serviceable at best. Ended up switching to Easy so that I didn't need to waste my time grinding to level up. Killing crocs over and over isn't fun. It really dragged on too and kept on teasing you with story progression instead of delivering it. I liked both Bayek and Aya, although their characters got a bit dorky at the end when they started acting serious about the creed.

Without the amazing world building I don't think I'd recommend it to anyone, but Egypt was just presented so well.

BananaKing

Just played it too.

Kinda good imo. World was amazing and I loved seeing ancient Egypt. Combat, story, side quests, and the upgrade system were all serviceable at best. Ended up switching to Easy so that I didn't need to waste my time grinding to level up. Killing crocs over and over isn't fun. It really dragged on too and kept on teasing you with story progression instead of delivering it. I liked both Bayek and Aya, although their characters got a bit dorky at the end when they started acting serious about the creed.

Without the amazing world building I don't think I'd recommend it to anyone, but Egypt was just presented so well.
Yeah Egypt was presented so well. The start of the game was a lot better than the end. I liked bayek though.

If the world was a bit smaller and the game a bit shorter and more contained  I felt it would have been better. Exploration was fun and combat was decent. It's a fun game overall.

Grinding for leather and equipment was annoying. At first it was fun but then it was very tedious.

Xevross

Yeah agreed with both of you. I didn't bother doing much hunting to upgrade my gear because it was just tedious, so I got through with the bare minimum. The first half of the game was definitely the best half as well, as it was more about exploration. Once you'd seen Alexandria, Memphis and the Pyramids it started to feel less special.

I liked the side quests although they got a bit same-y the more you did and I lost motivation to do them. Just a bit of polish and more work away from being a truly fantastic game for me.

Go Up