Experts predict 10m users day 1 of destiny!

Started by 7H3, Sep 07, 2014, 02:47 PM

previous topic - next topic

7H3

http://www.techtimes.com/articles/15023/20140907/how-big-will-destiny-be-experts-predict-10-million-users-on-first-day.htm

Quote from: IBtimes
The popularity of the upcoming game can be gauged from the fact that it's become the maximum pre-ordered entertainment software ever. What's more, the game's beta demo release in July garnered a phenomenal response with nearly 4.6 million playing the version. This figure is indicative that the 10 million user mark predicted for release day is not far-fetched.

300-400k week 1 you say?
"It's hip to be square." - Eurogamer<br />"Shut up its art!" -Legend

Xevross

Mmm_fish_tacos

Legend

7H3

"Experts"

yes that can be a very ambiguous term hehe Patcher predictions usually seem to be accurate only when its a prediction obvious to most already

Will this game be bigger than GTAV though?
"It's hip to be square." - Eurogamer<br />"Shut up its art!" -Legend

Xevross

"Experts"

"maximum pre-ordered entertainment software ever" .... experts

Dr. Pezus

yes that can be a very ambiguous term hehe Patcher predictions usually seem to be accurate only when its a prediction obvious to most already

Will this game be bigger than GTAV though?

Definitely not

Legend

Raven

Ten million on Day 1? No. I don't think any game in history has managed that and even though Destiny seems to be setting records that's still a feat that just seems ridiculous. Established franchises that the consumers scramble to buy have not even accomplished this. A new IP, no matter how well it's doing, is at the disadvantage that it hasn't proven itself yet. That's why Grand Theft Auto always sells so high. It's a long running franchise with a history of excellence. If Destiny blows up and becomes something huge then I have no doubt that it will hit 10 million lifetime and well beyond and that its sequel could do that on the first day. I just don't see the first game in a new franchise hitting such a high number in its first 24 hours.

Dr. Pezus

Ten million on Day 1? No. I don't think any game in history has managed that and even though Destiny seems to be setting records that's still a feat that just seems ridiculous. Established franchises that the consumers scramble to buy have not even accomplished this. A new IP, no matter how well it's doing, is at the disadvantage that it hasn't proven itself yet. That's why Grand Theft Auto always sells so high. It's a long running franchise with a history of excellence. If Destiny blows up and becomes something huge then I have no doubt that it will hit 10 million lifetime and well beyond and that its sequel could do that on the first day. I just don't see the first game in a new franchise hitting such a high number in its first 24 hours.

GTAV sold 16.5m week one lulz. Day 1 was likely around 12m or so.

Xevross

They make that assumption off their belief that Destiny is the maximum pre-ordered entertainment software ever, which is obviously really not true. If it was true then 10m may be possible.

Raven

GTAV sold 16.5m week one lulz. Day 1 was likely around 12m or so.

GTAV wasn't a new IP. That's what I'm getting at.

Raven

They make that assumption off their belief that Destiny is the maximum pre-ordered entertainment software ever, which is obviously really not true. If it was true then 10m may be possible.

Yeah, kinda hard to call them experts when they could have quickly googled and realized it's not. It's dang impressive but not for the reasons they seem to believe.

Xevross

Yeah, kinda hard to call them experts when they could have quickly googled and realized it's not. It's dang impressive but not for the reasons they seem to believe.

Exactly. They aren't experts by any stretch of the imagination.

Dr. Pezus

GTAV wasn't a new IP. That's what I'm getting at.

Hmm...

"No. I don't think any game in history has managed that and even though Destiny seems to be setting records that's still a feat that just seems ridiculous. Established franchises that the consumers scramble to buy have not even accomplished this."