Stellaris is my game of the year

Viewing single post

Started by Legend, Nov 12, 2017, 05:48 PM

previous topic - next topic

Legend

*it released last year but I'm just playing it now. Also the game has had lots of updates.

For those that don't know, Stellaris is a 4X like Civilization but in real time. You start with one planet and expand into the galaxy.

Civ 5 is one of my favorite games and this is better in a lot of ways.

In my current playthrough I'm a human like empire that is very xenophobic. Only good alien is a dead alien. Expand and exterminate. I had a cool event where an ancient alien race wanted me to donate some humans for their zoo because they forsaw my species as short lived. I took it as an insult and declared war back at them. I didn't take over their planets, I cleansed them. That made the rest of the galaxy really really hate me.

It's fun that you can roleplay and have the game support it. Xenophobia is tracked trait in the game.

Also fun that it's story focused. In Civ V, every country starts at the same level and city-states are just city-states. In Stellaris, empires are unique and unrestricted. Some start the game as if they've been colonizing for years. Others could start as cave men that might not even leave their planet by the end of the game. Some empires even have sci fi lore making them special.

Another cool thing is the crazy amount of game mechanics. You can design your own ships, do DNA editing, send insults to empires, set your laws, give different people different power, fight pirates that try to split from your empire, terraform, use 3 different methods of space travel, abduct people from planets for testing, destroy asteroids on course for impact, design your own species, tamper with your own elections, etc.

5/5

I like it.