Microsoft acquires Double Fine Productions

Started by Legend, Jun 09, 2019, 11:29 PM

previous topic - next topic

Legend

kitler53

fudge you MS.  and fudge you capitalism.

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

nnodley

Lmao 7 new studios in the last year.  All by throwing money at a problem when they should have used that money to cultivate and start their own studios.  

Though some of these studios might have went under at some point though if they weren't bought.  Just hope MS gives them freedom and doesn't drop them if 1 game doesn't do as well as they hope.

Legend

I did really like the Excel joke during the show  :D

Legend

Phil Spencer: "I think it would be nice if we found an Asian studio, in particular a Japanese studio, to add (to our studios)" | ResetEra

Speaking to GamesIndustry.biz, head of Xbox Phil Spencer admits that the spending spree is by no means over. The strategy will be familiar to anyone who has followed the Netflix story. The TV streaming platform reportedly spent between $12 and $13 billion on content last year, and that number is expected to rise this year.  Click to expand... Click to shrink...  
"I think it would be nice if we found an Asian studio, in particular a Japanese studio, to add (to our studios). I liked it when we had some first-party capability in Japan. We have a small team there, but I think we can do more."  Click to expand... Click to shrink...  
You can look at our P&L of our company; we're not spending $12 billion on video games today, but as the subscriptions grow and reach more customers, I do think it's important for us to continue to invest in content. It's not every year that we'll add seven new studios, but I do think us looking at specific targets that we need is important."  Click to expand... Click to shrink...  
www.gamesindustry.biz   Phil Spencer: "It would be nice to buy a Japanese studio"  The head of Xbox on Game Pass, the impact of streaming, and why he's not afraid of Google   www.gamesindustry.biz www.gamesindustry.biz      

nnodley

welp guess they have no interest of making their own studios.  Just throw that MS money at a lack of studio problem. Why not when you have it, i guess.

kitler53

welp guess they have no interest of making their own studios.  Just throw that MS money at a lack of studio problem. Why not when you have it, i guess.
money doesn't fix everything.  for instance,.. i'll bet that gears 5 trailer cost them a lot of money.  ..and fans.

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

nnodley

money doesn't fix everything.  for instance,.. i'll bet that gears 5 trailer cost them a lot of money.  ..and fans.
oh yeah for sure.  I'd rather them cultivate a new studio from the ground up than just throw money at every single problem to buy up studios.