Rumor: Several 3D Mario's coming to Switch, new Paper Mario

Started by the-pi-guy, Mar 30, 2020, 09:37 PM

previous topic - next topic

the-pi-guy

Multiple sources: Several Mario games (64/Sunshine/Galaxy 1 and 2/3D World) getting Switch remasters this year; new Paper Mario en route as well | ResetEra

www.videogameschronicle.com   Nintendo has big plans for Super Mario Bros.' 35th anniversary | VGC  Celebrations will see Mario's 35-year back catalogue remastered for Switch…   www.videogameschronicle.com www.videogameschronicle.com    
As part of its anniversary celebrations, Nintendo will reveal plans to re-release most of Super Mario's 35-year back catalogue this year, remastered for Nintendo Switch, VGC was told.

Nintendo will also release several other Mario titles in 2020, including a new instalment in the Paper Mario series.  Click to expand... Click to shrink...  
The plans are set to be revealed alongside new details of Nintendo's partnership with Universal, and the pair's Super Nintendo World theme park attractions and animated Super Mario movie.

Nintendo has already unveiled one flagship licensing deal planned to commemorate the anniversary: a special interactive Lego Mario set which sees players collecting coins and defeating enemies in real-life 'levels'.

The Super Mario 35th Anniversary reveal was originally due to take place as a physical event at E3 in June, VGC was told, but Nintendo is now reviewing its plans in light of the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic. E3 2020 has been cancelled due to the virus outbreak and Nintendo could instead opt for a digital showcase.  Click to expand... Click to shrink...  
UPDATE:
 Jason Schreier and Eurogamer corroborate

www.eurogamer.net   Sources: Nintendo Switch 2020 line-up dominated by Mario games old and new     www.eurogamer.net www.eurogamer.net    
 UPDATE 2:
 Gematsu shares more details on the lineup:
   www.gematsu.com   Rumor: Super Mario back catalog and several other Mario titles coming to Switch in 2020 - Gematsu  Nintendo will celebrate the 35th anniversary of Super Mario in 2020 by re-releasing "most of" the series' back catalog and several other Mario titles for Switch, according to VGC and Eurogamer reports. According to the Eurogamer report, the back catalog titles include a Deluxe version of Super...   www.gematsu.com www.gematsu.com    
Gematsu has heard similar reports, specifically in regards to Super Mario 3D World Deluxe, a new Paper Mario title, and high-definition remasters of Super Mario 64, Super Mario Sunshine, and Super Mario Galaxy.  Click to expand... Click to shrink...  
[/size]

kitler53

hope that isn't true for the sake of nintendo fans,..  what a boring year to be a nintendo gamer.

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

Legend

hope that isn't true for the sake of nintendo fans,..  what a boring year to be a nintendo gamer.
A theory for a while now is that either botw2 or odyssey 2 will release this December to keep Switch in the spotlight with next gen.

Yeah if it's just these ports and paper mario for 2020 that'd be a big downgrade.

kitler53

A theory for a while now is that either botw2 or odyssey 2 will release this December to keep Switch in the spotlight with next gen.

Yeah if it's just these ports and paper mario for 2020 that'd be a big downgrade.
sounds like wishful thinking on the part of fans that just want what they want.

i mean, i guess it would be great for some.  but diversity in a line-up is a good thing imo.  mario is good but nothing but mario is not good especially if a lot of them are just ports of old games (even if remastered).

Legend

sounds like wishful thinking on the part of fans that just want what they want.

i mean, i guess it would be great for some.  but diversity in a line-up is a good thing imo.  mario is good but nothing but mario is not good especially if a lot of them are just ports of old games (even if remastered).

Which fan theories aren't wishful thinking lol.

Either way I would be surprised if Nintendo didn't at least have some big hitter near the end of the year. Switch is an old enough system that it shouldn't be relying on ports.

kitler53

Which fan theories aren't wishful thinking lol.

Either way I would be surprised if Nintendo didn't at least have some big hitter near the end of the year. Switch is an old enough system that it shouldn't be relying on ports.
i mean, obviously they will have something.  they always do.  it just might be that that something is mario if this rumor is to be believed.   and if the ports are remasters that can take a fair amount of work.  and if they have 5 or 6 remasters in progress that would consume a lot of their development.

....it just sounds like a weird business decision to make imo.

darkknightkryta

I wonder if new hardware is coming sooner than later.  Nintendo tends to make new hardware to resell you games under a new name/paint.

Dr. Pezus

I wonder if new hardware is coming sooner than later.  Nintendo tends to make new hardware to resell you games under a new name/paint.
But we're talking about old games here haha. No way there's a switch successor coming soon. A new revision however might come within a year though.

Xevross

I think me and most other Nintendo fans think this is super awesome and I'm very excited! Galaxy is one of my favourite games ever and playing it again in HD or even remastered is something I'm very excited for. Very few people got 3D world as well so a deluxe version is nice. A new Paper Mario is great for people who like those games.

On the discussion of what's coming this year, well if this is all they have then it is indeed a disappointing year but we have a lot of time left yet. One big new game on the scale of BOTW2 or SMO2 would be enough to at least make it a good year for Switch, imo. We'll see.

Legend

Nothing can come out till the next financial year. Nintendo specifically told investors no new hardware.

darkknightkryta

But we're talking about old games here haha. No way there's a switch successor coming soon. A new revision however might come within a year though.
This is why I said "I wonder".  I really wonder if this is the second hardware they milk (GB regular went on for 10 years or so?) for a while.

the-pi-guy

Apr 03, 2020, 04:00 AM Last Edit: Apr 03, 2020, 04:06 AM by the-pi-guy
This is why I said "I wonder".  I really wonder if this is the second hardware they milk (GB regular went on for 10 years or so?) for a while.
I mean the Switch is only 3 years old. 
Even the Wii U got 4.5 years despite the lack of success.... 

Switch will probably keep going for another 3 years.

darkknightkryta

I mean the Switch is only 3 years old.  
Even the Wii U got 4.5 years despite the lack of success....  

Switch will probably keep going for another 3 years.
Maybe.  Nintendo tends to switch hardware around 5 years.  I'm just wondering if the Switch is going to be one of those 10 year things.