What will Sony do next?

Started by the-pi-guy, Sep 22, 2020, 01:32 PM

previous topic - next topic

the-pi-guy

Sep 22, 2020, 01:32 PM Last Edit: Sep 22, 2020, 01:42 PM by the-pi-guy
I feel like we are in uncharted territory.  I don't think I have ever felt quite so uncertain about what is coming up next.

Sony could do anything between doing nothing and making a big response.
They could buy up more studios and/or they could try shoring up a Gamepass competitor. 

These are strange times.
What do you want Sony to do?

What do you expect Sony to do? 

the-pi-guy

Made the OP a little less lazy.

Xevross

Sep 22, 2020, 02:04 PM Last Edit: Sep 22, 2020, 02:16 PM by Xevross
Impossible to predict, it depends if they feel this move will threaten their strategy. They will be looking to spend money on acquisitions and deals just like before but perhaps with more urgency now.

PS Now started before game pass and they've continued to do very little with it. If they wanted to compete with game pass they could have done it ages ago, its clear they don't want to.

I think Sony will stay with the same strategy but try to expand their exclusive lineup. For example, they have 10 PS studios games announced for PS5 but 4 of those are being developed by teams they don't own. I think they'll continue that strategy and expand it so even though they have half the employees of xbox studios, they can compete on number of games. On top of this they will invest even more in their own studios to shorten dev time while keeping the same level of quality. They'll stick with this strategy for at least a few years and if it works we won't see any change until next gen.

This generation, Sony published about 50 fairly big games including remasters. I think if they can increase that to over 70 this gen, that's over 10 per year which is a fantastic ouput. That number of games under the PS studios banner with the level of quality people expect, I think they'll be fine.

If we're talking new games from worldwide studios only (no remasters, including insomniac and games with big involvement like The Order), there was about 40 games this gen at an average of 5 per year. A lot of those weren't that big, but there was about 15 "big" games I would say. Again, an overall increase to 70 would be good but I think they need more than an average of 2 "big" games a year this gen, at least 3 I would say (20 for the gen) to not lose people to xbox.

Legend

Buy more of Epic maybe, idk.

the-pi-guy

Impossible to predict, it depends if they feel this move will threaten their strategy. They will be looking to spend money on acquisitions and deals just like before but perhaps with more urgency now.

PS Now started before game pass and they've continued to do very little with it. If they wanted to compete with game pass they could have done it ages ago, its clear they don't want to.
Which might come down to not feeling like they had to.  
Feels like that might be changing.

I wonder if something like a PS Now ultimate that costs $5 more but has PS Studios games day 1 would be something to think about.

Xevross

Which might come down to not feeling like they had to.  
Feels like that might be changing.

I wonder if something like a PS Now ultimate that costs $5 more but has PS Studios games day 1 would be something to think about.
If it was less than £10 a month I'd get it in a heartbeat.

Also in regards to big games, Sony already announced 6 for the first 13 months of PS5 which is an insane start.

kitler53

i've said this before but i've expected and kind of disappointed that psnow didn't get reworked for ps5.   all of my digital games should be playable there,.. even day-1 AAA ps5 games.   being able to take my library anywhere would be an amazing value add that realistically i'd barely use.  i'm not going to run from the cloud when i have the opportunity to play locally.   

with that feature in place then my digital library + my ps+ library is a pretty good competitor to gamepass.   hell, on the "psnow ulimate" they could even throw in 2 more games a month and that would bring us to 48 games a year.   that is more games then gamepass at this point and games aren't removed so my library would be growing much faster than on gamepass.  sony's first party still being better than ms's first party would be a big draw to the service.   i don't know about putting sony's full first party on the service day-1 but maybe they could take a policy like disney+ and say it will be added 1 year later.   

however, a commitment to PC becomes a requirement to get their service up to the 50-100 million subscribers required to make a subscription service work.   i don't entirely like that because that means a commitment to not fully utilizing the console and then sony's games will look like that halo crud MS showed.   i'd prefer sony is committed to amazing new experiences like the new ratchet and clank instead of cross platform.  

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

the-pi-guy

https://www.resetera.com/threads/playstation-studios-ot14-lets-be-honest-ot13-could-have-been-a-lot-smoother.292115/page-26#post-46369517

Interesting list.  
Sony Music and Sony Pictures have been spending billions on acquisitions. Whereas PS hasn't spent anywhere near that despite being much more successful. Interesting contrast.

the-pi-guy

Buy more of Epic maybe, idk.
Give your honest opinion, coward!  /s
;D