Next Gen Xbox revealed: Series X

Started by Legend, Dec 13, 2019, 02:22 AM

previous topic - next topic

Legend

It's fricken huge!
That's what I was saying in the live thread. Volume wise it's one of the largest consoles (almost exactly 3 gamecubes stacked on top of each other) but cabinet space wise it's a full on receiver.

Putting it vertical if possible seems like the best option. I'll probably do that with mine since currently I have 4 PS4s under my TV and that's unnecessary.

the-pi-guy

Dec 14, 2019, 03:37 PM Last Edit: Dec 14, 2019, 03:46 PM by the-pi-guy
That's what I was saying in the live thread. Volume wise it's one of the largest consoles (almost exactly 3 gamecubes stacked on top of each other) but cabinet space wise it's a full on receiver.
I know, but I just can't get over how huge it is.  

Will we be seeing an "Xbox Series S"?

Dr. Pezus

I don't see this doing too well tbh

Legend

Xevross

This is absolutely the worst console reveal since WiiU. Its got a similar name problem of sharing much of its name with a predecessor. Its also confusing to whether this is going to be a group of console and series X is the family name or if series X is the name of the flagship. I seriously hope its the former, having a single console released in a group  called series X would be a horrible naming idea. The box is ridiculously huge and it just looks like a weird PC. Also this is way, way too early.

Announcing Hellblade 2 with it was the only good thing about it.

Dr. Pezus

Yup, agree with Xev. Just terrible all around. Microsoft really suck at announcing new consoles

Legend

All things considered, this is still miles better than Xbox One's launch so far. No used games, always online, multimedia focus, and Kinect 2 were disastrous.

There is still time for Microsoft to screw up in major ways but right now the only issues are mostly superficial. The dumb name and the large box can be easily ignored if the full reveal is full of awesome things.

Xevross

All things considered, this is still miles better than Xbox One's launch so far. No used games, always online, multimedia focus, and Kinect 2 were disastrous.

There is still time for Microsoft to screw up in major ways but right now the only issues are mostly superficial. The dumb name and the large box can be easily ignored if the full reveal is full of awesome things.
Yeah all those things are true but in terms of announcing the pure console its way worse.

Legend

Yeah all those things are true but in terms of announcing the pure console its way worse.
It's definitely the least exciting console reveal ever. I'm not sure I mentioned this previously when discussing how poor the reveal was but one thing that could have easily pulled everything together is a tease for more info.

If this reveal was bundled as an "Xbox Event 2020" reveal with a specific date to look forward to, imagine the hype that could be building right now. Like a modern version of this video but with the console shown.

Legend

I don't understand what they are going with with the name.

Where do they go from here?

Is the next high end Xbox going to be Xbox Series X2? Xbox Series X (2023)?

Xbox Series X just doesn't sound like the name of an individual system yet so far that's how it's being used.

kitler53

I don't understand what they are going with with the name.

Where do they go from here?

Is the next high end Xbox going to be Xbox Series X2? Xbox Series X (2023)?

Xbox Series X just doesn't sound like the name of an individual system yet so far that's how it's being used.
i doubt "series x" refers to a individual system.  on the "full reveal" i'll bet the names are in line with:
xbox series x lockhart
xbox series x scarlet

and then at some point we'll get
xbox series x johansson
...which is the "pro model" shipping in 2023.

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

Legend

i doubt "series x" refers to a individual system.  on the "full reveal" i'll bet the names are in line with:
xbox series x lockhart
xbox series x scarlet

and then at some point we'll get
xbox series x johansson
...which is the "pro model" shipping in 2023.
That would make sense but currently Microsoft is referring to "Xbox Series X" as a specific system and not a series.

"The name we're carrying forward to the next generation is simply Xbox," a Microsoft representative told Business Insider. "And at The Game Awards you saw that name come to life through the Xbox Series X."

the-pi-guy

Dec 17, 2019, 05:44 PM Last Edit: Dec 17, 2019, 05:48 PM by the-pi-guy
"Similar to what fans have seen with previous generations, the name 'Xbox Series X' allows room for additional consoles in the future".

Making Sense Of Microsoft’s Confusing Statements On Xbox Series X’s Name

I think we will have a Series S.  

And we will probably see a "Series X-2"

kitler53

well whatever.  i'm a highly informed gamer so i'm not confused.  i could not care less if their naming convention is confusing to casuals since i'm a playstation fan and MS's loss is (in a way) my gain.

what i'm more concerned about his their forward/backward comparability claims and the rumors about the low speced lockhart.  games are going to be really disappointing next gen if they have to be developed to function on lockhart (and possibly xbox one) and can only use the extra power for resolution and framerate boosts.   maybe this is why MS is insisting the series X will standardize 60 fps,... because they are insisting development will be stuck in generation 8...

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

Legend

well whatever.  i'm a highly informed gamer so i'm not confused.  i could not care less if their naming convention is confusing to casuals since i'm a playstation fan and MS's loss is (in a way) my gain.

what i'm more concerned about his their forward/backward comparability claims and the rumors about the low speced lockhart.  games are going to be really disappointing next gen if they have to be developed to function on lockhart (and possibly xbox one) and can only use the extra power for resolution and framerate boosts.   maybe this is why MS is insisting the series X will standardize 60 fps,... because they are insisting development will be stuck in generation 8...
Seperate from the confusion of knowing the box exists, I'm just confused what their intentions are with naming future boxes.

In the past you've been pretty gung-ho about ending generations and moving towards a steady release of new hardware like with phones. Are you worried every game will be forced to support lockhart even after a few years?

Also I'm not sure how many games will use next gen power for gameplay anyway. Sure there will be a lot of titles that do innovative things but the big focus right now is on techniques (ray traced reflections, global illumination, shadows, machine learning animations, machine learning game AI) that are easy to cut/scale back for under powered hardware. Just look at the Witcher 3 Switch port for example. That game was built as a next gen showcase but they were still able to get it running on a handheld.

"Similar to what fans have seen with previous generations, the name 'Xbox Series X' allows room for additional consoles in the future".

Making Sense Of Microsoft’s Confusing Statements On Xbox Series X’s Name

I think we will have a Series S.  

And we will probably see a "Series X-2"
Series S for lockhart sure seems likely at this point. Update both every few years.

Go Up