What Does Dreams Mean To YOU?

Started by GribbleGrunger, Mar 18, 2019, 03:05 PM

previous topic - next topic

GribbleGrunger

I thought it would be interesting to see the different things Dreams means to people. So, what does Dreams mean to you? This is my view of it:

Legend

I can't watch your video at the moment but dreams is in a weird spot for me. I loved LittleBigPlanet and initially loved dreams but now it feels too much like a game engine and too little like a game. Short term it would have been more exciting for me if Dreams had a larger campaign and UGC was LBP2/LBPV style.

Long term however the game engine/platform approach has a lot more potential. Dreams will introduce millions of people to game development and give them powerful tools to fully develop their ideas. I don't know how well it'd go over, but I'd really like to see a "professional" version of Dreams that lets people sell their games as separate executables. As is the engine is awesome for non professionals and rapid prototyping but I fear players will want to "graduate" from it to Unity or Unreal.

I'm also really excited about the tech. Dreams introduced me to signed distance field rendering and I've loved every tech presentation they've shared. I've been working on my own renderer like dreams for a while now and their solutions to problems are just so crazy good. Next gen I imagine a lot more engines will start to support stuff like this.

GribbleGrunger

I can't watch your video at the moment but dreams is in a weird spot for me. I loved LittleBigPlanet and initially loved dreams but now it feels too much like a game engine and too little like a game. Short term it would have been more exciting for me if Dreams had a larger campaign and UGC was LBP2/LBPV style.

Long term however the game engine/platform approach has a lot more potential. Dreams will introduce millions of people to game development and give them powerful tools to fully develop their ideas. I don't know how well it'd go over, but I'd really like to see a "professional" version of Dreams that lets people sell their games as separate executables. As is the engine is awesome for non professionals and rapid prototyping but I fear players will want to "graduate" from it to Unity or Unreal.

I'm also really excited about the tech. Dreams introduced me to signed distance field rendering and I've loved every tech presentation they've shared. I've been working on my own renderer like dreams for a while now and their solutions to problems are just so crazy good. Next gen I imagine a lot more engines will start to support stuff like this.

It is going to be coming with a campaign, the difference being that EVERYTHING in that campaign is made 'with' Dreams and there are no assets brought in from other tools. I think momentum will build once people see what it can do. People like me and my Youtube channel are going to be integral to its long term success and I think, baring in mind its got a ten year plan behind it, both MM and Sony realise that.

SWORDF1SH

My opinion is a little different to Mikey's. I wasn't that keen on LittleBigPlanet's campaign, I was more intrigued with the create, play and share side of it. Dreams is perfect for me. I can't wait until I see what people come up with.
I probably will do little creating though, I like the idea of creating a game but when I tried doing it on LBP I quickly lose interest.

Dr. Pezus

Woah, jump to 10:00 if you want to see an amazing live music performance in Dreams. Amazing how they can play that with just the controllers