Why don't cutscenes accurately reflect how good you are at the game?

Started by Legend, Feb 01, 2015, 01:12 AM

previous topic - next topic

Legend

Basically this is where the challange of the game as portrayed when you're playing and the challange of the game when you're not playing do not match. For example you're playing Mass Effect on easy and curbstomping everyone, yet suddenly when the cut scene starts you're ten times weaker and pinned down all hope lost.

It's a common problem in so many games, yet it's so easy to fix. Simple tracking software could calculate how good you are verse certain opponents, and then use those findings to modify how cutscenes pan out.

It's kinda like ludonarrative dissonance, but too different imo to fall under the same name.

Rorono

That'd make Dark souls cutscenes interesting

DD_Bwest

lol you mean like when you abuse things to make yourself insanely OP, yet the cuts cenes they still talk to you like a peasant.  even though you could crush them like ants?

I wish they could recognize when you "break" the game, like in GTA when i managed to kill a baby a few times lol after a mission would finish i would switch to my rail gun and blast the car as it spend away lol   yet she kept coming back alive for the next mission lol

the-pi-guy

Because sometimes they have the story require a loss, and losing during the gameplay is a lame gameplay driven thing to do.  "Jump into the tar pit,"  "get shot a lot" isn't what anyone wants to do. 

Mmm_fish_tacos

I think that has a lot to do witht the games pace.  If they want you to feel overpowered by a group/person in a cutscene then they should also do the same during the game. Like it should be very hard to beat said person before that cutscene.  I feel game design still has a lot of room for improvement.

7H3

well maybe the cutscenes need to reflect the games difficulty, but I would think that creating a scripted scene is a bit more difficult to modify as they are normally a hard wired addition to the game. Maybe on games where the cutscenes match the graphics they can bend the rules of the cut scene a little bit, but would it really be worth the added cost to development?
"It's hip to be square." - Eurogamer<br />"Shut up its art!" -Legend

BananaKing

because no cut scene can reflect how much of a bad dog i am.

Raven

because no cut scene can reflect how much of a bad dog i am.

Nor how much back hair you have.

BananaKing

Nor how much back hair you have.

i think you are confusing me with your girlfriend.

Xevross

i think you are confusing me with your girlfriend.

Hahahaha that's hilarious. Raven could never get a girlfriend

BananaKing

Hahahaha that's hilarious. Raven could never get a girlfriend

Ops sorry. Forgot to put "imaginary" in that sentence. My bad

Legend

well maybe the cutscenes need to reflect the games difficulty, but I would think that creating a scripted scene is a bit more difficult to modify as they are normally a hard wired addition to the game. Maybe on games where the cutscenes match the graphics they can bend the rules of the cut scene a little bit, but would it really be worth the added cost to development?

For Uncharted? No, something like this would be silly.

For Mass Effect or other RPGs? Defenitly. They make all the cutscenes depend on so many other variables, why can't they also code to this one?