MS feels like they are ahead of Sony

Started by the-pi-guy, Mar 19, 2020, 02:20 AM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Xevross

This is a big part of what I'm talking about.

There have been like 6 big threads on Era about BC. Just feels like Sony isn't paying attention to gamers right now. Just sticking to what they plan to say, and not making corrections or clarifications. 
You're completely forgetting 2013 if you think this is worse than XB1 though. Sony is a disaster by letting bad rumours spread but this is stil before the first reveal. XB1 was a horror show resulting from its big reveal with games and MS continued to dig the hole with interviews like the famous "we have a console for those without internet, its called xbox 360" line from Don Mattrick.

Sony have a lot of time to recover here, first they need to release some PR which fixes things now. Then if they have a big conference with some mind blowing games that really show off PS5's advantages well they'll win everyone back.

the-pi-guy

the-pi-guy

Yo ^

You're completely forgetting 2013 if you think this is worse than XB1 though.

the-pi-guy

To be honest I'm a little bummed that Jim Ryan is running things and that Shu stepped down from WWS.

Xevross

Mar 20, 2020, 06:38 PM Last Edit: Mar 20, 2020, 09:33 PM by Legend
https://www.resetera.com/threads/ps4-bc-on-the-ps5-to-work-on-%E2%80%9Coverwhelming-majority%E2%80%9D-of-the-library-games-to-benefit-from-improved-frame-rates-and-resolutions.176258/

Took their time and its as most of us expected. Sony really messed up the messaging in that talk. Hopefully this news spreads so people know the truth.

Legend

Should have just came out and talked about how it is like PS4 Pro boost mode. Not every game worked perfectly but it's full bc.

the-pi-guy

A lot of people think that Sony's BC is poorly executed and requires a lot of work.  And MS's is magic where everything just magically works flawlessly.  

Xevross

A lot of people think that Sony's BC is poorly executed and requires a lot of work.  And MS's is magic where everything just magically works flawlessly.  
Yeah, they're probably about the same. MS's is better though since all Xbox titles are covered while Sony's is just PS4.

the-pi-guy

Yeah, they're probably about the same. MS's is better though since all Xbox titles are covered while Sony's is just PS4.
600 Xbox + 360 games, all One games.

BananaKing

MS just started the process earlier it seems.

But it seems sooner rather than later all PS4 games will be backwards compatible.

kitler53

Mar 21, 2020, 02:38 PM Last Edit: Mar 21, 2020, 02:41 PM by kitler53
600 Xbox + 360 games, all One games.
wrong

when asked directly they refused to say yes,. they have the same answer as ps5's clarifying statement of "thousands" of games.

series x BC is in the same boat as ps5.   most will work without changes,.. some will need changes.  testing is required to formally state compatibility.

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

the-pi-guy

wrong

when asked directly they refused to say yes,. they have the same answer as ps5's clarifying statement of "thousands" of games.

series x BC is in the same boat as ps5.   most will work without changes,.. some will need changes.  testing is required to formally state compatibility.
I'm aware.  

They're never going to promise every One game.  There's almost certainly going to be some random case that doesn't work as intended.  

And they tend to get sued over things like that.  

the-pi-guy

With MS's first gaming outing, here are my thoughts.

PS4: was stellar. They really made the system feel next gen right away by showing Killzone.  Their messaging from day 1 that the PS4 was a great system for devs and gamers. And they didn't just say it, they showed it.  The first PlayStation meeting basically felt like E3 and Road to PS5's equivalent combined.  They showed off the controller, the specs, their goals for the future and they showed off several major games.  Knack, Killzone, Driveclub, inFamous, Dreams, Deep Down and several other games were shown.  
Jonathon Blow, Quantic Dream, Square Enix, Capcom, Ubisoft, Blizzard were present at the show with either a game or a tech demo, etc.  
This all happened within 2 hours of even learning about the console's existence.  

XBO: their failings came down to two things. They basically doubled and even tripled down on their own backlash with the always online stuff.  
https://www.theverge.com/2013/4/5/4185938/adam-orth-speaks-on-required-internet-connection-for-durango-rumors
They started with rumors.  People were already upset, and some at MS gave a ridiculous response.

The existence of the Xbox One was practically preceded by controversy.  And MS doubled down on it with their announcement.
And even after their announce they continued to back it:
https://kotaku.com/xbox-one-does-require-internet-connection-cant-play-o-509164109
https://www.polygon.com/2013/5/21/4353538/xbox-one-perform-recurring-online-checks-even-for-offline-play
https://www.wired.com/2013/05/xbox-one-analysis/

Their second failing was not focusing on games.

I wouldn't be surprised if they actually spent almost as much time talking about the UI and OS features as they did talking about games.  Sports game and movies were a prevalent theme.  

---------------------------------------------------------------

PS5: their showing has still mostly been a few articles.  2 wired articles, a playstation article about the controller, and backwards compatibility.  Not much has changed here since writing up the thread.  Everything about the PS5, minus the controller, has been very developer focused.  From the Road to PS5 to the articles.  Gamers aren't sure what to expect here yet.  Sony is in a bizarre point where they seem like they are both behind MS, but also doing better in terms of attention.

XSX:  MS feels like they took some cues from Sony's PS4 roll out, but also missing out on some very important things.  And this was exemplified with their gaming rollout.  The most major thing they had was a game that was announced before the show.  Everything was pretty small.  

Although part of MS's issue is probably that a lot of their stuff is cross gen.  So their big games for the next year or two, are basically things we will see on Xbox One.  So they're awkwardly with the strongest next gen console, and yet they feel like they have nothing really to show for it.  

MS and Sony are both in pretty decent positions, they really just have to move forward with announcing some major games.  And on Sony's side especially, it's pretty clear that they should have a lot to show.  

Xevross

Sony is only "behind" because MS has revealed way more (the box, a few games) and has been talking more. I expect Sony are going to have a big blowout which takes all the attention at some point. These consoles are coming out in November most likely, I think MS's steady drip feed strategy for the first half of the year is kind of pointless. A big blowout that's gets everyone excited and talking is the way to go, and there's no reason to do it this early.

I'm constantly baffled at people critising Sony's strategy. In what other industry would you talk about your new product so far before release? Last gen was already announced super early and people want it even earlier this gen. We've still got half a year til they launch, let's see what Sony do. I think if MS keep their once a month thing and none of it is that major then it could bite them in the dog.

Legend

Sony is only "behind" because MS has revealed way more (the box, a few games) and has been talking more. I expect Sony are going to have a big blowout which takes all the attention at some point. These consoles are coming out in November most likely, I think MS's steady drip feed strategy for the first half of the year is kind of pointless. A big blowout that's gets everyone excited and talking is the way to go, and there's no reason to do it this early.

I'm constantly baffled at people critising Sony's strategy. In what other industry would you talk about your new product so far before release? Last gen was already announced super early and people want it even earlier this gen. We've still got half a year til they launch, let's see what Sony do. I think if MS keep their once a month thing and none of it is that major then it could bite them in the dog.
PS3, Wii, and Wii u all showed up to 2 E3s before launching. 360, PS4, and XB1 are the only modern consoles that have been revealed and launched within the same year.

I would have loved if both PS5 and XsX just repeated PS4 and Xb1. Big events are so great as fans.

Go Up