What is the worst good game you've ever played?

Started by the-pi-guy, Jun 07, 2017, 04:49 PM

previous topic - next topic

the-pi-guy

I wasn't sure what the title should be.

But I will explain.
My game is Donkey Kong 64.  I really like the game, but it is also incredibly frustrating.  It's a game I want to play quite a lot, but when I play it; it's very frustrating.  

The world is great. There's places to go, challenges to do.  And there's a lot of variety in tackling challenges.  Using a different character which has its own abilities.  There's weapons to shoot and instruments to play.  And all of that is pretty great.  

But then there's the camera and the motion.  There are some incredibly frustrating challenges that are frustrating mainly because the camera doesn't always go the right way.  Walking in a straight line is way harder than it should be.  

Dr. Pezus

LittleBigPlanet comes to mind but I think I've probably played way worse good games in my time. The creation aspect was woeful on PS3 due to hardware limitations. So many bugs, so much lost progress and so many grand ideas that never came to fruition  :'(

the-pi-guy

LittleBigPlanet comes to mind but I think I've probably played way worse good games in my time. The creation aspect was woeful on PS3 due to hardware limitations. So many bugs, so much lost progress and so many grand ideas that never came to fruition  :'(
I've honestly never had any of those issues.  :(

Dr. Pezus

I've honestly never had any of those issues.  :(
I guess my ideas were just too big for the game ;o

Kerotan

Grim Fandango. So hard and frustrating to complete but has so much charm I just had to.  Even using a YouTube guide some of the puzzles were a pain in the dog.

BasilZero

Super Mario Land for GB
Goof Troop for SNES
Duke Nukem 1 for PC

Legend

Super Mario Galaxy. Motion controls ruined that game for me.

Xevross

So this is games you know are good/ excellent but you don't like.

Hmm well not the worst good game but the best game I can't bring myself to like is probably Skyrim, or TW3. I find them both boring and their combat pretty bad.

Watch Dogs 2 comes to mind as well. Most people like it and think its much better than the first, but for me its quite a lot worse and I wouldn't rate it that high.

the-pi-guy

So this is games you know are good/ excellent but you don't like.

Hmm well not the worst good game but the best game I can't bring myself to like is probably Skyrim, or TW3. I find them both boring and their combat pretty bad.

Watch Dogs 2 comes to mind as well. Most people like it and think its much better than the first, but for me its quite a lot worse and I wouldn't rate it that high.
More like games you like but that are sometimes unreasonably frustrating.

BasilZero

Jun 08, 2017, 12:08 AM Last Edit: Jun 08, 2017, 12:19 AM by BasilZero
Super Mario Galaxy. Motion controls ruined that game for me.
Good example but I didnt find SMG to be that bad from motion controls.

The game that suffered the most imo in that regards goes to Zelda Skyward Sword.

I cant tell you how many times i had to re-calibrate my wii motion+ and listening to Fi telling me my batteries are low pissed me off.

Oh another good example is a game I'm playing now.

The World Ends With You on the Nintendo DS.

Great game (Story, concept, RPG system, music and characters/setting) - horrible gameplay though due to the fact that 70% of the gameplay involves using a stylus and touch screen to do attacks and to move.

If they took that away and made it a regular game, it would have been one of the best games made.

Legend

More like games you like but that are sometimes unreasonably frustrating.
Elite Dangerous has that covered.

So many stupid game decisions that prioritize grinding. The first 100 hours were incredible but now I only log in to check out new content. Also I play the game in single player, but most things run off real world time. IE if I get a mission to deliver food to a system in 4 hours, that time counts down even if my computer's shut down. Returning after months of not playing will have all the factions and NPCs mostly forgetting who you are and almost resetting your friendship.