What is a gimmick?

Started by Legend, Apr 04, 2015, 10:47 PM

previous topic - next topic

Legend

Ever since the wii, the term gimmick has been thrown around a lot with regards to video games. Yet what does it mean?

I was thinking about Hololens and realised a pretty clear definition with regards to games, so hey why not make a thread about it!

IMO a gimmick is "a concept that appears beneficial towards video games from a second hand perspective, but while actually playing is neutral or negative to the experience." Take the light bar on the dual shock 4. Before the PS4's release it sounded cool. It'd add so much to gaming! Then upon actually trying it ourselves we realise it's hard to even notice the light outside of annoying reflections on the TV. The concept of the light bar is much cooler than the reality of it.

Same goes for the wii and motion controls in general. The concept is so cool! Marketing for all these things captured our dream games like star wars lightsabers and what not. Then once we have the games in our hands, we realise physical movement sucks. We're not ninjas that can do backflips.

the-pi-guy

Same goes for the wii and motion controls in general. The concept is so cool! Marketing for all these things captured our dream games like star wars lightsabers and what not. Then once we have the games in our hands, we realise physical movement sucks. We're not ninjas that can do backflips.

Well, maybe you're not.  ;)
Plus I think with the Wii, even in concept it just wasn't quite ready. 
They released the Wii Motion Plus, but more importantly physical movement wasn't figured out in my opinion. 
At first, it's a fun trick.  Look at me!  I'm waving my arms around and this person looking character is doing the same! 
But most of the time, what does that really bring into the game?  Some games used it kinda well, and other's barely used it at all. 

Like Wii Sports did some interesting things, but that's not really a serious game.  I don't think Zelda ever made very much use out of the motion controls, at least in terms of accuracy.  So removing it wouldn't really have changed the game. 

7H3

Calling remote server clusters "teh cloud"
"It's hip to be square." - Eurogamer<br />"Shut up its art!" -Legend

7H3

Touting high speeds for internet in terms of bits instead of bytes...

Legend

Calling remote server clusters "teh cloud"

Why isn't that the cloud?

Does the cloud even have a definition?

7H3

"the cloud" is a word used to reference a clusters of servers (or just one remote server see "my Cloud" product available at best buy) to make it sound cool or something. "Web hosted servers" doesn't sell as well
It's just a marketing ploy

Legend

"the cloud" is a word used to reference a clusters of servers (or just one remote server see "my Cloud" product available at best buy) to make it sound cool or something. "Web hosted servers" doesn't sell as well
It's just a marketing ploy

So remote servers are the cloud!!!

Therefor calling them the cloud is not a gimmick.

7H3

So remote servers are the cloud!!!

Therefor calling them the cloud is not a gimmick.

hmm that's exactly what I would call a gimmick

Legend

hmm that's exactly what I would call a gimmick

I'd call it a buzzword.

7H3

I'd call it a buzzword.

which is a marketing gimmick

DD_Bwest

to me, a gimmick is something that seems cool and looks cool, that can grab attention, but at the end of the day doesnt add anything important to the product. 

Max King of the Wild

You can be sure most gimmicks are fads :-P

7H3

to me, a gimmick is something that seems cool and looks cool, that can grab attention, but at the end of the day doesnt add anything important to the product. 

exactly, and it can also relate to shows (live or on TV) as well as music. Sometimes in music you might call it a "hook"
Basically anything that grabs attention can be a gimmick in many different lines of sales. Even trying to "sell one self" to another for dating purposes could per chance utilize a gimmick. I think it is more rare that a gimmick actually adds real value versus perceived value.