What is Sony's worst 1st party studio?

Started by Legend, Feb 09, 2015, 05:31 PM

previous topic - next topic

Legend

Let's stick to studios that actually make games.

I'd go for Japan Studio. Although they're getting much better, they just hardly release anything.

Mmm_fish_tacos

They just sold off their worst one. But runner up is Ico. Because they have put anything out in forever.

Raven

They just sold off their worst one. But runner up is Ico. Because they have put anything out in forever.

I don't think Team Ico is actually a studio, though I could be wrong. I was under the impression that they are a team within Japan Studio. Not a smaller studio associated with them like Cambridge and Guerrilla.

Mmm_fish_tacos

I don't think Team Ico is actually a studio, though I could be wrong. I was under the impression that they are a team within Japan Studio. Not a smaller studio associated with them like Cambridge and Guerrilla.

Well if I have to choose Japan because of Ico then Japan because of Ico.

Raven

I'd go for Japan Studio. Although they're getting much better, they just hardly release anything.

You sure about that? In the last three years they've released 10 games. Three of which were internally developed.

Raven

Well if I have to choose Japan because of Ico then Japan because of Ico.

Lol Point taken.

Legend

You sure about that? In the last three years they've released 10 games. Three of which were internally developed.

Yes but they are a huge 600 person studio with many teams.

Raven

Yes but they are a huge 600 person studio with many teams.

Holy shame?! 600?? Are you sure?

Legend

Holy shame?! 600?? Are you sure?

Wikipedia says 400+, and I remember hearing 600 from another dev. So it might not be 600, but it's huge and something around that.

the-pi-guy

Wikipedia shows that
Japan Studio has
-Team Ico
-Project Siren/Team Gravity
-External Development
-PlayStation C.A.M.P.

But, it doesn't say who made Knack.  Just says "SCE Japan Studio" so maybe another team or two? 
Huge studio regardless. 

DerNebel

Feb 09, 2015, 07:57 PM Last Edit: Feb 09, 2015, 08:03 PM by DerNebel
Considering its size I'd also have to say Japan studios, but hey maybe they can remedy this in this generation, the ex-SSM that is the head of the studio has been doing good work I've heard.

If that JRPG rumor is true (well actually I've heard about 2 JRPGs) and that game turns out to be great and a success as well and if they finally manage to get TLG out the door, I'd say they are well on the way of turning things around. Just imagine that JRPG spawning a successful franchise, when was the last time something like that came from Japan Studios? :D

Edit: Also to be speculating a little Japan Studios does have the Silent Hill creator working for them and P.T. was exclusive to the PS4, which has started some discussions about Silent Hills maybe being PS4 exclusive as well, maybe Silent Hills will be a collaboration between Konami and Japan studios and will have Toyama working on it.

Well anyway, what I'm saying is that Japan Studios have been pretty poor in the last couple years but they still have potential and are definitely very important, Sony needs a big japanese studio.

Rorono

London studio... casualware.

Gravity Rush was great so no way i'm picking Japan studio

Mmm_fish_tacos

It was,  but that's the problem when you have to pick the worst of the best.

Legend

But London is making VR games!

kitler53

i smite you for badmouthing the studio that brought into this world demon's souls and shadow of the colossus and bloodborne and echochrome and gravity rush and soul sacrifice and freedom wars and puppeteer and rain and patapon and the tomorrow children.

you may smite me back on the reasoning they also brought into this world knack.

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens