PSVR 2 rumor - 4K, eye tracking

Started by the-pi-guy, May 13, 2021, 06:24 PM

previous topic - next topic

the-pi-guy

I had posted this in the VR thread, but some people don't follow that thread.  

A rumor claims PSVR 2 will have a resolution of 4000x2040, with foveated rendering.

Next-Gen PlayStation VR Is 4K Plus Eye-Tracking & Vibration

multiple sources tell us Sony shared details with partners. Those details include a resolution of 4000×2040 pixels (2000×2040 per eye), a lens separation adjustment dial, and gaze tracking capable of foveated rendering. A motor in the headset can be used by developers to give direct haptic feedback.

the-pi-guy

A little bit odd to me:
A big VR dev (one of their games was published by Valve) was particularly bothered by this leak.  

Totally understandable to be bothered by a leak, but when there's a lot of reason to doubt the leak, I think not saying anything is more likely to make the rumor go away in the first place.  This is far from the first rumor like this.  

the-pi-guy

4K would be really incredible.

Legend

Leakers suck. Unless you're exposing something bad about the company, leakers are selfish doo doos.

I could see that person feeling strong enough to tweet that regardless of the leak's accuracy.

I still don't know how I feel about vibration. I had Sony headphones with dualshock vibration and while it was cool, I can't imagine most variants of it being immersive. My opinion is that the vr headset should disappear while playing. Vibration goes against that.

the-pi-guy

I still don't know how I feel about vibration. I had Sony headphones with dualshock vibration and while it was cool, I can't imagine most variants of it being immersive. My opinion is that the vr headset should disappear while playing. Vibration goes against that.
I think a lot of it would be dependent with what they actually do with it.
If they figure out some clever way to reduce motion sickness, that could be incredible.

If it's done poorly, and just feels like you're wearing a headset that is pushing against you, that would really suck.  

kitler53

Leakers suck. Unless you're exposing something bad about the company, leakers are selfish doo doos.

I could see that person feeling strong enough to tweet that regardless of the leak's accuracy.

in astro bot rescue mission there was a gameplay thing where you needed to break a barrier using your head to smash it.   the lack of any feedback made it feel awkward and induced motion sickness when the expected feedback didn't happen.   a haptic feedback that actually makes it feel like you hit something would have gone a long way to make that not feel soo bad.   

so like Pi said,.. it depends on what you're doing with it.

more important in the hands for sword and gun play.  but why not in the headset too.

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens