the-pi-guy

Xevross

Apr 25, 2021, 11:17 AM Last Edit: Apr 26, 2021, 08:22 PM by Xevross

Dr. Pezus

the-pi-guy

Apr 26, 2021, 08:20 PM Last Edit: Apr 26, 2021, 08:50 PM by the-pi-guy

Xevross

updated.
You're sticking with 70? Crazy. No chance its below 80, none at all.

the-pi-guy

You're sticking with 70? Crazy. No chance its below 80, none at all.
Good point.

Updated again!  

Legend

Just incase I forget to update,

nnodley

I'm feeling optimistic about it

the-pi-guy

Ratchet and Clank

Same rules as the GOW thread. Give a high, medium, and low prediction.

IE you expect it to get a 95 so you set that as your middle. Then you set 97 as your high because you don't think the game has a good chance of scoring above that. Then you set 88 as your low because you don't expect the game to score lower than that.

RESULTS WILL NOW BE SCORED SO THAT AN OVERALL WINNER CAN BE DETERMINED AT THE END OF THE YEAR. IF YOU HAVE THE CLOSEST PREDICTION, YOU EARN POINTS: SCORE +=100-(high prediction-low prediction)*2. IF THE FINAL MC FALLS OUTSIDE YOUR HIGH AND LOW PREDICTIONS, YOU LOSE POINTS: SCORE -=50.

Review embargo ends when the countdown ends. Feel free to post predictions and edit them up till that time.

100:
99:

Xevross

Man this looks so good from the previews.

the-pi-guy

Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart's tech director on making games for the PS5 - The Verge

So when you were working on the Spider-Man games, were you filing away ideas for things that would work well with Ratchet on PS5?

Always filing away ideas. I would even say some stuff that is essential to the Spider-Man game turned out to be cool for Ratchet, and then has some awesome quality effect on that game that we maybe wouldn't have put in if we'd only been making Ratchet.

Do you have an example?

Spider-Man is an open-world title. We built all of this tech to stream that open world as you go through it. When you're downtown, there's not much Midtown in memory. You can see it from a distance, but then as you go farther north, we pull in those areas. No Ratchet game has ever been constructed that way. They've always been: here's a level, load the level, now you're in that level and you play it. But by switching over the Ratchet world to use that same streaming architecture, we can pack more and more density and content and quality in every corner of a Ratchet & Clank world, because we're happy to ditch the west side of Nefarious City when you go to the east side, and that type of thing.
There are some big, obvious features we can see in terms of the benefits of the PS5, like the fast load times or the rifts that pull you into a parallel world immediately. But are there any examples of smaller, less obvious things that are cool or that you're really proud of that wouldn't have been possible on the PS4?

With the SSD, it's easy to say there are no load times, and look how fast we can load this other area, but it has all sorts of knock-on effects. We don't need to be as careful with how we package our data. All of the assets for an area don't need to be collated on the spinning hard drive to get the right streaming speed out of it. It makes the game smaller on your hard drive; it means we can patch it more easily. That's a nice bonus. We unload the things literally behind you from a camera perspective. If you spun the camera around, we could load them before you see that. That lets us devote all of our system memory to the stuff in front of you right now, that you need to experience in that moment.

The ray tracing is nice and shiny -- well, literally shiny -- and it's very obvious when it's working. But it does have a really subtle effect on the materials. There's a part where you're in the spaceship with Rivet and Clank, for example, and you're not actually looking at a reflective surface per se, but just all of the metal things in that cabin, which are all curved in different ways, are all showing the effect of those characters shifting position in a realistic way. It takes us a long way toward getting the same feeling of an animated film. The way things are grounded in the environments, the way they're animating with each other, helps us close that gap.

the-pi-guy

May 12, 2021, 03:06 PM Last Edit: May 12, 2021, 03:09 PM by the-pi-guy
Converting this to be an OT.  I will probably just do this going forward.

kitler53

so want to know something funny?

for ages you've heard me talk about needing to find a ps5 in time for ratchet and clank because it is my most hype game.   well,.. it's almost here and now i probably won't buy it day-1.   my contractor just told me that he's finally ready to work on my upstairs project and so this weekend my kids are moving into my game room for 2-3 months.   no ps5 for me until the project is done.  :(

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

Go Up