Sony sued over Killzone: Shadow Fall's graphics

Started by Legend, Aug 06, 2014, 09:18 PM

previous topic - next topic

Legend

Sony Computer Entertainment America has been hit with a lawsuit alleging "deceptive marketing" of Killzone: Shadow Fall because the PlayStation 4 game's multiplayer mode does not run at the resolution advertised.

More at link

http://www.polygon.com/2014/8/6/5975983/sony-sued-killzone-shadow-fall-1080p

BananaKing

and here i thought graphics dont matter :P

ethomaz

I remember this case with cosmetics.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-14304802

To the end the false adversing was banned in France and now they can't even use Photoshop or hire super beautiful models to show the "effects" of their products.

I wish the game industry reach that level with no more oversampled bullshots or fake CGI.

BananaKing

I remember this case with cosmetics.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-14304802

To the end the false adversing was banned in France and now they can't even use Photoshop or hire super beautiful models to show the "effects" of their products.

I wish the game industry reach that level with no more oversampled bullshots or fake CGI.

honestly i agree. i wouldnt mind everything being taken straight out of the game. project cars would have a seriously bad time marketing its self then :-P

ethomaz

honestly i agree. i wouldnt mind everything being taken straight out of the game. project cars would have a seriously bad time marketing its self then :-P

Well this lawsuit is shame but it can open precedents to create a better law that control false adversing.

Legend

No way should it go through.

It's common practice to call something native 1080p even when not all parts of the pipeline are 1080p. Killzone isn't any different really.

DD_Bwest

lol seeking 5 million...    the lawyer who took this just be disbarred

Raven

As I understand it, the multiplayer is in 1080 without the need for upscaling. They used a technique that allowed them to achieve a 1080 resolution by combining multiple frames that are, alone, not 1080 but yet combined to create a 1080 image.

ethomaz

Aug 06, 2014, 11:09 PM Last Edit: Aug 06, 2014, 11:16 PM by ethomaz

As I understand it, the multiplayer is in 1080 without the need for upscaling. They used a technique that allowed them to achieve a 1080 resolution by combining multiple frames that are, alone, not 1080 but yet combined to create a 1080 image.

The most simple upscale get 1 pixel and repeat it 4 times... GG trick render a 960 frame, use the previous two 960 frames and use them to complete the actual 960 frame.

Both are not native rendered 1920x1080.

To be fair the upscale is a better representative of the render than GG's solution because it is atemporal... that what causes the blurry fest in Killzone MP.

the-pi-guy

Such a weird thing to sue over.... personally. 
Next, we are going to get someone to sue Crayola because the green isn't green enough.  Or something. 

DD_Bwest

Such a weird thing to sue over.... personally. 
Next, we are going to get someone to sue Crayola because the green isn't green enough.  Or something. 
that isnt green, is algae lol

Riderz1337

BRB suing ubisoft

Ima be rich
Legend made me remove this. Everybody riot.

Riderz1337

"I used to be a huge Sony fan", said Mr. Ladore in a recent Fox News interview. "I waited in line at launch for 36 hours in freezing rain, sleet and snow during a vicious Swine Flu outbreak just to put my hands on a PS4 console, along with Killzone and Angry Birds games. I was ready to leap into the next generation with all its high definition peas"

"Killzone was a magnificent game. I played it so much, went through the campaign three times, and played over 250 hours of multiplayer. I told all my friends to buy it, so we can play together. I told them it looked fantastic, that it is the greatest next-gen experience ever."

"And then, several months later, I stumbled upon an article that said Killzone doesn't have 1080 peas! I was shocked." Said Mr. Ladore, tears shyly trickling down his cheek. "Sony promised me 1080 peas, and I thought that they delivered until I've read otherwise. I had no idea that they decided to withhold some peas."

"My friends started ridiculing me, called me a pea-brained Pee-Wee, and even refused to like my shared Killzone screenshots on Facebook."

"I blame Sony for deceiving me, and making me think the resolution was higher. I would have never noticed that had a journalist not written that on their web page."

"This experience has emotionally scarred me for life. I can no longer fully pee, but always stop short and then have the rest sprinkle my underwear, resulting in my mom yelling at me that she needs to use extra detergent and softener, hurting our already tiny hygiene budget. I therefore demand one billion dollars from Sony for all psychological and material damages they have cause me."

*No offence to actual disabled people*

Legend made me remove this. Everybody riot.

Max King of the Wild

Counter suit for frivolous suit incoming. Plaintiff will not only pay his lawyers but Sony's as well.

DD_Bwest

Counter suit for frivolous suit incoming. Plaintiff will not only pay his lawyers but Sony's as well.
I really hope so,  The guy claims to be big into following sony, having done online research, and then buys this game 2 months after the controversy hits.. lol   and not sure about california law, but i hope they have some means to subpena(sp?) his internet records to see if he visited any sites relating to the matter before his purchase.

I hope he wastes and looses all the money he won in his last suit lol