September 2018 NPD Results - Spidey Sets New PS Record

Started by Xevross, Oct 19, 2018, 02:11 PM

previous topic - next topic

Xevross

Well this is interesting. Madden '09 debuted with 2.3M in 2008 August NPD. Assuming that was sold at $60, NBA this year must have sold fairly close to that figure (probably a bit less with special editions etc.), but this supports Spidey being 2.3M+, as it should be quite far ahead of NBA.

BananaKing

Well this is interesting. Madden '09 debuted with 2.3M in 2008 August NPD. Assuming that was sold at $60, NBA this year must have sold fairly close to that figure (probably a bit less with special editions etc.), but this supports Spidey being 2.3M+, as it should be quite far ahead of NBA.
Are you getting that 2.3 million based on revenue? Or actual unit sales?

the-pi-guy

Are you getting that 2.3 million based on revenue? Or actual unit sales?
He's taking the 2.3 million unit sales and trying to compare to unknown revenue.  

Xevross

Switching to revenue now has really screwed everything, god dang nabbit NPD!

I think its safe to say Spidey sold 2M+ though, very likely less than 2.5M

Kerotan

Spidey sales are insane. October legs should be good. November will be huge with black friday. Then holiday sales. 10m before the end of January?

Xevross

Oct 24, 2018, 11:39 AM Last Edit: Oct 24, 2018, 11:59 AM by Xevross
Benji said Spidey sales were closer to Halo 3 (3.3M) than GOW (1.9M), so we know Spidey debuted at 2.6M+. That's fudgy nuts.

Spidey sales are insane. October legs should be good. November will be huge with black friday. Then holiday sales. 10m before the end of January?
I expect it will reach 10m this year to be honest. Sounds like it just keeps on selling.

BananaKing

Benji said Spidey sales were closer to Halo 3 (3.3M) than GOW (1.9M), so we know Spidey debuted at 2.6M+. That's fudgy nuts.
I expect it will reach 10m this year to be honest. Sounds like it just keeps on selling.
Yeah and I see it selling a lot over the holidays as well. It's a perfect gift for Christmas and the holidays.

If they do a black Friday bundle with Spidey at 200$ then it's gonna sell an absolute shame ton this year.

Kerotan

Yeah and I see it selling a lot over the holidays as well. It's a perfect gift for Christmas and the holidays.

If they do a black Friday bundle with Spidey at 200$ then it's gonna sell an absolute shame ton this year.
He's not wrong. Spiderman the type of game you can buy a kid, teenager or young adult as a present. And holy shame Sony should do that and produce a titanic amount.

The ps4 imo can be sold at 200 now at a profit. Spiderman will be on sale this holiday for $30. So that bundle makes financial sense. Unless Sony get greedy and want prople to buy the ps4 and then spiderman. Maybe they will bundle god of war instead but that doesn't have the same appeal to present buying parents.

Xevross

Oct 24, 2018, 02:51 PM Last Edit: Oct 24, 2018, 02:54 PM by Xevross

Yes I expect Spidey and red dead bundles this BF. Perhaps they'll do a Sony bundle of Spidey+gow with a 1tb slim for $249 or something like that.

Or maybe they'll throwback to the tlou gta bundle and go Spidey red dead together. $199 with a game would be killer, hopefully they do that with Spidey.

BananaKing

He's not wrong. Spiderman the type of game you can buy a kid, teenager or young adult as a present. And holy shame Sony should do that and produce a titanic amount.

The ps4 imo can be sold at 200 now at a profit. Spiderman will be on sale this holiday for $30. So that bundle makes financial sense. Unless Sony get greedy and want prople to buy the ps4 and then spiderman. Maybe they will bundle god of war instead but that doesn't have the same appeal to present buying parents.
The PS4 reached the 200 price point a year (or two ago, right?) During the holidays. I doubt it's not profitable or at least breaks even at that price.

What they should do however is have a fortnight bundle at 200$. I doubt they would give epic games a big fee over the Included VBucks.

The fortnight bundle would sell like hotcakes to kids.

Xevross

Oct 24, 2018, 03:55 PM Last Edit: Oct 24, 2018, 04:04 PM by Xevross
More insight. Without bundles, Spidey almost doubled the previous best launch month for a superhero game (from NPD Matt). Arkham City sold 1.5M, and Arkham Knight slightly exceeded this. So we're looking at 2.6-3.0M Spidey without bundles. Nearly doubled points to the higher end of that range.

With Spidey bundles being pretty much the only way to buy a pro, we could well be looking at 3M+ with bundles included. Absolutely nuts.

Dr. Pezus

So what are we thinking?

1- GTA5
2- CoD BO2
3- CoD MW3
4- CoD BO1
5- CoD BO3
6- CoD BO4
7- Spidey?

I really really want to know sales numbers of it now
Black ops 4 isn't out in Sept!

the-pi-guy

Black ops 4 isn't out in Sept!
Ha, didn't even notice that.  

Xevross

Ha, didn't even notice that.  
First thing I noticed!

That list is interesting though, since Spidey is close to 3M then either I've missed games, or we misinterpreted the statement of being 7th. What 6 games sold 3M+ on PS??

Dr. Pezus

First thing I noticed!

That list is interesting though, since Spidey is close to 3M then either I've missed games, or we misinterpreted the statement of being 7th. What 6 games sold 3M+ on PS??
It's revenue

Go Up