November 2016 NPD Results PS4 #1

Started by Xevross, Dec 08, 2016, 09:50 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Raven

Queso doesn't have data anymore?
Would be nice if they would share, wouldn't it? Because if it's down by just a couple percent then who cares?

Xevross

Would be nice if they would share, wouldn't it? Because if it's down by just a couple percent then who cares?
Cosmic is very careful and never says anything more than rough hints. Well you'd think Sony would have expected PS4 to be up YOY with the pro launching. The way its looking right now PS4 will only just be up on last year, which is pretty bad considering and points to next year being down.

Mmm_fish_tacos

I don't know how it could be down but have the best black friday ever in playstation history. Is he counting the sales of the pro?

Xevross

I don't know how it could be down but have the best black friday ever in playstation history. Is he counting the sales of the pro?
Its likely that the rest of the world brought it up. The deals in Sony's heartland, mainland europe, were much better this year. That probably tipped it.

Aura7541

Because markets outside of the US picked up the slack?

Also, CosmicQueso no longer has direct access to NPD numbers. He might still be able to get them indirectly.

Raven

Its not a guess. Cosmic has NPD numbers and he often drops hints like that.
Yeah its not great to be honest. I don't think this gen will last as long as last one, the decline starts here.
Andrew House already talked about a 6-year cycle. The 7th gen was an exception in more ways than one. Between 4 to 6 years is the standard rate that the generations change. We don't normally have hardware selling at $400 three or four years after the generation started. People are used to prices being much lower by now and not having to consider more expensive purchases.

Mmm_fish_tacos

Because markets outside of the US picked up the slack?
I dunno, when they talk black friday I think america only. Even though it's picking up steam around the rest of the world.

Xevross

I dunno, when they talk black friday I think america only. Even though it's picking up steam around the rest of the world.
Well in this case they were talking about worldwide so...
Andrew House already talked about a 6-year cycle. The 7th gen was an exception in more ways than one. Between 4 to 6 years is the standard rate that the generations change. We don't normally have hardware selling at $400 three or four years after the generation started. People are used to prices being much lower by now and not having to consider more expensive purchases.
Yeah I'm expecting it will be a 6 year cycle with the pro marking the half way point. I think any longer and ps4 sales will seriously drop off.

Raven

Well in this case they were talking about worldwide so...Yeah I'm expecting it will be a 6 year cycle with the pro marking the half way point. I think any longer and ps4 sales will seriously drop off.
We already know that the PS4 isn't some kind of phenomenon in the US. It has too much competition from Xbox here to be able to take off in the way some people expect it to. That's due in large part to the massive fanbase Xbox generated here last gen. I'd say the fact that PlayStation has thus far usurped it and managed the sales it has is actually quite impressive. Remember, PS3 got its dog beat in the US all last gen. It was relatively rare that PS3 won an NPD. The fact that it's still winning in the US is a testament to the brand's bounce back from last gen. Couple that with stronger global sales overall than the PS3 had, and I think we're prematurely worrying about PS4's longevity.

Mmm_fish_tacos

ps4 should make it past the wii fairly easy.

the-pi-guy

Okay, I had to read through Microsoft's PR again because I knew something was off. They literally did a MAU YOY comparison on a specific day (November 27, 2016 vs. November 27, 2015). Dafuq?

Pretty sure they did a similar thing a couple years ago.  
Maybe it was 2014?  
Compared YTD of one year including BF, and said they were ahead of another year where they didn't include BF.  

Xevross

We already know that the PS4 isn't some kind of phenomenon in the US. It has too much competition from Xbox here to be able to take off in the way some people expect it to. That's due in large part to the massive fanbase Xbox generated here last gen. I'd say the fact that PlayStation has thus far usurped it and managed the sales it has is actually quite impressive. Remember, PS3 got its dog beat in the US all last gen. It was relatively rare that PS3 won an NPD. The fact that it's still winning in the US is a testament to the brand's bounce back from last gen. Couple that with stronger global sales overall than the PS3 had, and I think we're prematurely worrying about PS4's longevity.
Yeah you're right. I'm fairly certain that sales will begin to slip away in UK, US and Japan but we don't know about elsewhere. It could be that sales continue strong in Europe and that would totally counteract the drop in those three countries. Its likely that this year will be the peak but how much it drops I have no idea

Mmm_fish_tacos

Found this while browsing twitter. Seems fitting.

Xevross

I think if PS4 doesn't win by over 200k its a good month for XB1 and would point to the race being tight next year.

Aura7541

I think if PS4 doesn't win by over 200k its a good month for XB1 and would point to the race being tight next year.
PS4 has a really kickass lineup for the first 4 months. I think it won't have a problem establishing a good lead at the beginning of 2017. How it does after April depends on how big and compelling the software will be.

Go Up