The UK Votes to Leave the European Union

Started by Xevross, Jun 24, 2016, 12:56 PM

previous topic - next topic

Legend

it is not just the internet bro.  

but we'll see how thing go over the months.  it could get better or it could get worse.  it is all up the the leadership in architecting the exit.   ...which would be my biggest worry in the exit,.. for all the propaganda on the joys of leaving i never saw an exit strategy presented.  i don't think anyone saw this coming or really prepared for it and with david resigning the is also a leadership void.

I haven't followed Brexit and have no idea if it's good or not, but the internet drama seems fun.

Raven

I'm having a great laugh at the people who think they can now use this as momentum to petition for Texas to secede. "Yeah! Let's all hashtag Texit and get this going!". First of all, that's not how it works. Seceding from the US can only be accomplished by going to war with it and winning or through a unanimous agreement by all other states. Neither of which will be realistically accomplished. No amount of stupid online petitions, twitter movements, or other flavor of the year easy method will fly. Second, for a state that likes to talk big about patriotism it sure does have a lot of people wanting to bail out at the drop of a hat.

Legend

Jun 25, 2016, 02:43 AM Last Edit: Jun 25, 2016, 03:02 AM by Legend
I'm having a great laugh at the people who think they can now use this as momentum to petition for Texas to secede. "Yeah! Let's all hashtag Texit and get this going!". First of all, that's not how it works. Seceding from the US can only be accomplished by going to war with it and winning or through a unanimous agreement by all other states. Neither of which will be realistically accomplished. No amount of stupid online petitions, twitter movements, or other flavor of the year easy method will fly. Second, for a state that likes to talk big about patriotism it sure does have a lot of people wanting to bail out at the drop of a hat.
Texas actually can leave. It was part of the negotiations when they joined as a state.

Edt: wait, was my 5th grade teacher wrong?

Max King of the Wild

Patriotism isn't unconditionally loving your country. And a lot of those petitions are being passed by liberals thinking it'd be good for the US

Raven

Texas actually can leave. It was part of the negotiations when they joined as a state.

Edt: wait, was my 5th grade teacher wrong?
They're wrong. The Civil War put an end to any idea that a state can secede. Once you become a state, that's it. Your only options are if all other states want you out or if you successfully revolt.

Patriotism isn't unconditionally loving your country. And a lot of those petitions are being passed by liberals thinking it'd be good for the US
I never said it was. But when it's, "A fudgy n word is President?! SECEDE!" or "Gays can get married?! SECEDE!" or "I can't own military grade weapons?! SECEDE!"... yeah. You're not a patriot. You're a whiny bumb.

kitler53

They're wrong. The Civil War put an end to any idea that a state can secede. Once you become a state, that's it. Your only options are if all other states want you out or if you successfully revolt.
I never said it was. But when it's, "A fudgy n word is President?! SECEDE!" or "Gays can get married?! SECEDE!" or "I can't own military grade weapons?! SECEDE!"... yeah. You're not a patriot. You're a whiny bumb.
i wish i could like this more than once. 

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

Legend

I liked it for you

Xevross

How are you feeling about it now xev?
Worried that this will go wrong but I'm happy with the outcome mostly.

A lot of my friends are very passionately against the brexit and have been complaining loudly and I'm just keeping my mouth shut.

I want to say to them that all of the fear tactics used by the remain side aren't actually true and the country isn't going to change that much but I don't want to have my head bitten off ;D

Seriously its like we were voting whether to ban our generation from ever being employed or something, because apparently our futures are completely ruined now

darkknightkryta

You can, if you unlike it, you can like it again.  You can do that forever!

Cute Pikachu

I alwayd wanted louisville ky to suceed and join indiana, kentucky treats the are like crud anyways  :P
The Vizioneck Nintendo Fanboy!

Switch Software Sales Guide:
http://vizioneck.com/forum/index.php?topic=5895.msg218699#new

Horizon

Jun 25, 2016, 07:23 PM Last Edit: Jun 25, 2016, 07:26 PM by Horizon
I am ardent remainer but I do not have a problem with leave voters who have legitimate and genuine reasons, in fact some people have put across fair arguments which I have understood but still wanted to remain. My big issue is that far too many dumb people put little to no thought in voting, honestly some of the answers I see petrify me. "I voted cause I thought it was exciting!" "I voted and did not think my vote would count" "I voted leave because I thought we would remain" are just some of the gems. For democracy truly to work it needs a vast amount of educated and sadly the UK seems like it does not have that. However I do accept the decision and play we have a better leader than Boris Johnson to guide us through the turbulent period.

When a country like Greece can put the entire EU in a crisis, you're doing something wrong. California could go bankrupt tomorrow and it would be a blip on the radar by comparison. You've got nations where nearly a quarter of the population is unemployed. Nations who can't even settle their own economic woes because EU officials rush in and tell them to conform to the master plan or suffer. Nations whose people are being taxed out the dog so other irresponsible nations don't collapse. By 2030, one in four Europeans will be at retirement age and living off of the safety net. None of these things are sustainable.
If California went bankrupt tomorrow I do not think it would be a blip on the radar, their economy is roughly the size of somewhere like Italy give or take. It would have a severe impact on the US and global economy.

kitler53

Worried that this will go wrong but I'm happy with the outcome mostly.

A lot of my friends are very passionately against the brexit and have been complaining loudly and I'm just keeping my mouth shut.

I want to say to them that all of the fear tactics used by the remain side aren't actually true and the country isn't going to change that much but I don't want to have my head bitten off ;D

Seriously its like we were voting whether to ban our generation from ever being employed or something, because apparently our futures are completely ruined now
i'm not trying to bite your head off but their fear is legit.  

there are billions of dollars of just us money in the UK as our beachhead access to europe.  for instance a lot of the financial indusrty.  basically the EU has protectionist policies set up that forced usa companies to set up shop inside the EU to be allowed to do busines inside the EU.  the usa liked doing that business in the uk because you guys speak english. that money is moving out now that you are out. 

do't get me wrong, there are new oppertunites afforeded to you too. clearly there is an alternate universe where the uk can be successful without the EU. the usa does it.  ..but the usa didn't spend the last several decades intergrating the eu into its economy. 

...the question is can your economy remain stable enough to survive the transition. 

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

Legend

If California went bankrupt tomorrow I do not think it would be a blip on the radar, their economy is roughly the size of somewhere like Italy give or take. It would have a severe impact on the US and global economy.
California as of yesterday is ahead of both UK and France. Yeah its impact would be huge.

Raven

Jun 25, 2016, 07:54 PM Last Edit: Jun 25, 2016, 10:01 PM by Raven
California as of yesterday is ahead of both UK and France. Yeah its impact would be huge.
*sigh* You're thinking about it the wrong way. A bankrupt California wouldn't seize up the US the way countries like Greece or even Cyprus could do to the EU. It's not that California going bankrupt wouldn't have an impact. It's that the impact wouldn't be enough to the US where its mechanisms to deal with it would grind to a halt. When you compare the economy of California alone to a country like Greece, whose economy is only a fraction of it, and then realize that Greece put the EU in a serious crisis for quite awhile in a way that would have been resolved by the US already in the event that a "California crisis" happened... it's honestly pathetic.

@Horizon

It's a comparison of the grave inadequacy of the EU to deal with such issues.

Case in point;

Detroit went bankrupt in 2013. The Detroit-Warren-Livonia area had a GDP of almost 227 billion. The GDP of Greece in 2008, before it plummeted, was over 354 billion. Yes, that's a difference of 127 billion but when we're talking economic powers like the EU and US, that's a drop in the bucket. When Detroit went bankrupt, the US practically went about business as usual and the area actually saw GDP GROWTH in 2014 to almost 237 billion, up 10 billion from the year before when one of the biggest cities in the US, the focal point of that area, went bankrupt. Greece took a fall and the EU shame its pants for years after.

Horizon

*sigh* You're thinking about it the wrong way. A bankrupt California wouldn't seize up the US the way countries like Greece or even Cyprus could do to the EU. It's not that California going bankrupt wouldn't have an impact. It's that the impact wouldn't be enough to the US where its mechanisms to deal with it would grind to a halt. When you compare the economy of California alone to a country like Greece, whose economy is only a fraction of it, and then realize that Greece put the EU in a serious crisis for quite awhile in a way that would have been resolved by the US already in the event that a "California crisis" happened... it's honestly pathetic.

@Horizon

It's a comparison of the grave inadequacy of the EU to deal with such issues.

Case in point;

Detroit went bankrupt in 2013. The Detroit-Warren-Livonia area had a GDP of almost 227 billion. The GDP of Greece in 2008, before it plummeted, was over 354 billion. Yes, that's a difference of 127 billion but when we're talking economic powers like the EU and US, that's a drop in the bucket. When Detroit went bankrupt, the US practically went about business as usual and the area actually saw GDP GROWTH in 2014 to almost 237 billion, up 10 billion from the year before when one of the biggest cities in the US, the focal point of that area, went bankrupt. Greece took a fall and the EU shame its pants for years after.
That is fair point. Greece failed because they endured austerity and EU came down on them hard because they were duplicitous to the EU regarding its debt to GDP ratio and other financial information which are some of the stipulations to enter the EU. Still the EU were too slow to react and the bureaucratic format did not help with that.

Go Up