Far Cry Primal Reviews: 78 OpenCritic/ 76 MetaCritic

Started by Xevross, Feb 22, 2016, 05:05 PM

previous topic - next topic

Xevross

Far Cry Primal for PlayStation 4 Reviews - Metacritic

OpenCritic - The top critics in gaming. All in one place.

It seems reviewers don't like the story and that it doesn't do much to add to the Far Cry 4 formula.

kitler53

wow, that's a lot worse than i was expecting.  the game looks really good to me.  well i wasn't buying it now either way and will probably pick it up on some $10 holiday flash sale. 

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

Dr. Pezus

Legend

Dr. Pezus

Xevross

Well my copy is on course to arrive tomorrow. I'll tell you all what I think of it, probably in comparison to FC4.

Horizon

From what i have seen it looks great.I will definitely pick it up sometime in the near future.

BananaKing

not sure what to pick between this and The Division. these reviews dont help either.

Horizon

GAF are loving this game. So many positive and glowing impressions.

Xevross

GAF are loving this game. So many positive and glowing impressions.
I'm loving this game! The story is a bit lacking, I agree with the reviewers on that one, but I don't really see how they can make most of the other complaints.

The open world aspect is amazing, there seems to be a heck of a lot of content, stealth and strategy is awesome, combat is extremely fun, the beast system is really good. Its just a really great game imo. If you've liked any far cry in the past you'll like this for sure.

At one point I was creeping up on a camp to try and take it over when I saw two bears fighting each other for territory. Bears are pretty tough and scary so I hid away to see what happened. One of them won and roared at the other til it ran away and it held its ground near the camp. So I grabbed its attention by quickly running past it then led it into the camp and quickly climbed up on some rocks. The bear murdered all the guys in the camp and once it had I kept shooting it in the head with my bow and I killed it before it could climb up to me. I climbed down, looted and claimed the camp.

Its stuff like that which is just so awesome! :D

BananaKing

I'm loving this game! The story is a bit lacking, I agree with the reviewers on that one, but I don't really see how they can make most of the other complaints.

The open world aspect is amazing, there seems to be a heck of a lot of content, stealth and strategy is awesome, combat is extremely fun, the beast system is really good. Its just a really great game imo. If you've liked any far cry in the past you'll like this for sure.

At one point I was creeping up on a camp to try and take it over when I saw two bears fighting each other for territory. Bears are pretty tough and scary so I hid away to see what happened. One of them won and roared at the other til it ran away and it held its ground near the camp. So I grabbed its attention by quickly running past it then led it into the camp and quickly climbed up on some rocks. The bear murdered all the guys in the camp and once it had I kept shooting it in the head with my bow and I killed it before it could climb up to me. I climbed down, looted and claimed the camp.

Its stuff like that which is just so awesome! :D
fudge... I think that convinced me to get it lol.

Question to whoever is playing it.  Do you feel like you are in the stone age?

Xevross

fudge... I think that convinced me to get it lol.

Question to whoever is playing it.  Do you feel like you are in the stone age?
Yeah I do, like all the huts in the village and the clothes you wear and weapons you use are all just how I'd imagine they would be in that era. The landscape is untouched and beautiful too, like I guess it would have been back then.

One thing I don't like though, that I guess does fit with the stone age theme, is that everyone talks in an African-ish language and you have subtitles. The way they talk is a bit primitive, they don't speak with proper English (or whatever you would call it). It does feel like stone age people are talking to each other. Its nice but a bit annoying at the same time. Melee combat isn't that great either actually but its decent enough. I use my bow most of the time anyway.

I have most of my fun just walking round and exploring the world. The map looks huge and there's such varied environments. Like the north is snowy and when you go there you have a cold meter, if you spend too long out in the wild you die from the cold, so you have to keep lighting fires to stay warm.

Also at night time the world changes a lot. There's a lot more beasts like wolves and lions out hunting, so its a lot more dangerous and you have to be more careful. It does give you a strategic advantage though. For example there was a camp nearby me which was supposed to be hard and when I looked at in the day it was heavily guarded but I came back at night and they were mostly asleep. I killed the few guards on patrol and stealthed through the huts, killing the rest as they sleep.

You get a lot of bonuses for doing missions undetected, using your beast for this is really good because you can send it in to kill stuff while you hide, so you can take out the enemies without them ever seeing you. If anything I think the beasts are a bit OP.

There is a lot of skills to get, from what I can remember I think there's definitely more than Far Cry 4 and there also seems to be more items to craft/ upgrade as well. You can also upgrade the huts of your villagers to unlock more missions from them, which is cool.

I only wish there was more of a main story. Its just a case of help save the Wenja in the area by doing random tasks, like hunting a few enemies, and your village will gain a few population. It seems the main aim is to kill the leader of the Udam but honestly there isn't really a story to it, like there is in FC4, which is a shame.

From what I've played so far this seems underrated.

Horizon

Definitely going to pick it up soon. I have not played a Farcry since 2 so I am not going to feel jaded from previous entries and it will feel very fresh and new to me. The setting looks absolutely amazing. I love the setting of natural untouched environment and nature remaining on top. It's probably why Primal and Horizon look so awesome to me haha.

Horizon

Finally got it today. Really enjoying it! Like Xevross has stated the world is massive and it oozes atmosphere. The audio cues where animals are and other tribes are is exceptional.The combat is brutal too but so fun. There is no greater feeling than headshotting an enemy with the bow. I do not mind the lack of story, I think the game gives a good enough incentive to want to progress through the story and missions. I actually find it really cool they do not speak english as I believe cave men did not speak any english at that time. It also really fits the world really well. I have only just got the grey wolf but I can tell the beasts are going to be a load of fun.

Xevross

Feb 29, 2016, 08:12 PM Last Edit: Feb 29, 2016, 08:16 PM by Xevross
Finally got it today. Really enjoying it! Like Xevross has stated the world is massive and it oozes atmosphere. The audio cues where animals are and other tribes are is exceptional.The combat is brutal too but so fun. There is no greater feeling than headshotting an enemy with the bow. I do not mind the lack of story, I think the game gives a good enough incentive to want to progress through the story and missions. I actually find it really cool they do not speak english as I believe cave men did not speak any english at that time. It also really fits the world really well. I have only just got the grey wolf but I can tell the beasts are going to be a load of fun.
I feel like the bow is too powerful, I barely ever use any other weapons. The spear is really bad in comparison. Yeah there is a lot of incentive to progress, so you can unlock the new equipment and new beasts. The beasts are really great, I just tamed the bloodfang sabretooth after doing the master hunt quest. That was a lot of fun. You can ride on it as well to get around really quickly.

I also just did the bloodtusk mammoth master hunt which was amazing. I had to chase it around the map for ages and it was super hard.

I don't have to worry about any animal attacking me any more. The bloodfang sabretooth scares them all away. I haven't seen any beast try and attack me with him by my side yet.