RUMOUR: Xbox Mini in development for H2 2016

Started by ZhugeEX, Dec 31, 2015, 02:54 PM

previous topic - next topic

ZhugeEX

Hello all,

Brad Sams is a respected journalist who writes about Microsoft and from time to time has inside information on new upcoming Microsoft software and hardware releases. The rumour in the title has been going on since the Xbox One came out but it seems like Brad (who posted about this rumour last year as well) has some more concrete info from an internal memo posted below-

I have heard from internal sources that the company is considering plans for a lightweight Xbox One that may only be for Windows store games and would compete with the Apple TV, but it's not clear if these plans have been scrapped. A similar device was rumored around the initial Xbox One launch and those plans were put on hold but this device is said to be from a similar vein. If this device does materialize, it will not launch until the second half of the year and have a much lower price-point than the Xbox One.
So rather than being a mini Xbox One that plays XB1 games it seems it may be more Apple TV like in that it plays Windows Store (Mobile style) games on your TV whilst having Media streaming capabilities like the Apple TV/Xbox One.

So my question is, Do you think this would be a good idea for Microsoft to compete in the streaming devices market? Also, do you think that this device can be successful?

ZhugeEX

Dec 31, 2015, 02:56 PM Last Edit: Dec 31, 2015, 02:59 PM by ZhugeEX
Here are my thoughts-

Sales of streaming devices have been steadily increasing over the past few years thanks to the advancement of on demand tv and phone mirroring tech. Companies such as Apple, Google, Amazon and Roku lead the way and there are now 35.7 million media streaming devices installed in homes across the US as of March 31st 2015.

For example the Apple TV over the past 2 years has sold just what the Xbox One has sold worldwide and when you add up all streaming box device sales then they are certainly bigger than the Home Video Games Console market. Another example is that Amazon sold in pretty much the same amount of units in North America in 2014 as Sony PS4 sold in.

Streaming devices are becoming ever more popular thanks to on demand services like Netflix, TV integration and screen mirroring from smartphones. Now I should mention that these devices sell to different audiences, Video Game consoles sell to gamers and streaming boxes sell to the mass market and casual gamers. There is crossover of course.

A mini Xbox streaming device would make sense and be able to compete in that category. What a lot of hardcore gamers will not understand is that a supposed Xbox Mini is not for them. That's why Sony released the PS4 and PS TV and why Microsoft released the Xbox One and now it's rumoured they will release an Xbox Mini. As the rumour states, the Xbox Mini is going to be aimed at the ever growing audience that buys a streaming box for smart tv, streaming, and mirroring capabilites on their Living Room or Bedroom TV set. The Xbox One is still going to be the choice for gamers but an Xbox Mini would go after more casual gamers who just want to stream media like they can on chromecast, Apple TV and Fire TV. Games is more of an afterthought and like the rumour said will be more for Windows Store games and such.

Now whilst this rumour makes sense it's not going to be as simple for Microsoft to start selling an Xbox Mini and hope for the best. After all the PS TV has streaming capabilities, can play Vita and PS Now games and has a whole host of features yet it did not sell well at all and Sony ended up having to cut the price or bundle the unit in order to sell them. Microsoft really need to market this well and differentiate if they decide to release something similar because it will be a challenge going up against the likes of Amazon, Apple and Google who already have successful products on the market. So this product may fail from day 1. I do think Microsoft need to market this as a streaming box but also show that it's a Windows 10 device that supports a lot of Xbox features such as game streaming and cloud saves etc... That will help both audiences become interested in the device, especially in the U.S. market.

So If this did come to fruition It's most likely going to be an Apple TV clone that plays Windows store games (not full XB1 games) but can stream XB1 & PC games. Primarily to be advertised as an Apple TV clone though.

ethomaz

It is not a Xbox One mini machine... just a crud smartphone that runs mobile apps lol

kitler53

xbox one.  the one box you'll ever need.  

OT - i still don't quite see the market for apple tv.  after netflix and a half dozen other services there is just nothing else wrt to apps i want on my tv as opposed to a tablet or laptop.  if you aren't in the market for a game console i don't see why anything more than fire tv or chromecast is needed.  this middle market is weird to me. 

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

darkknightkryta

I'm not sure this will work out for Microsoft.  Windows Mobile 7+ haven't worked out for them.  They literally had to spend 7 billion to try to buy their way into the market.  It didn't work.  This will most likely be no different.  The over arching issue is that "This isn't Apple, I'm not buying" is really hurting things.  Hell why buy a windows mobile based device when you can get an Android box/stick?  Far more support for the latter.  Plus T.V.s are starting to come bundled with Android.  I mean, there's a reason why Sony abandoned the Vita TV in favour of putting PSNow on other devices.

Legend

I love my roku and use it a lot, but I've never felt the desire to play games on it.

Plus there are already a ton of streaming boxes with game support. 2 years ago it could have been really successful, but today I don't see it gaining traction.

ZhugeEX

I love my roku and use it a lot, but I've never felt the desire to play games on it.

Plus there are already a ton of streaming boxes with game support. 2 years ago it could have been really successful, but today I don't see it gaining traction.
I don't see this product being aimed primarily at gamers to be honest.

But I do agree that this may have been a better product a couple of years ago. They have a bit of competition now and so it may not gain any traction.