Need to expand available forums!

Started by Raven, May 06, 2014, 02:14 PM

previous topic - next topic

Raven

I think we need to expand the number of forums we have. Right now, having just forums for gaming news and gaming communities might feel too packed with threads. I say we create forums for Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo, and PC. General gaming news is fine for things that don't apply just to one platform or another such as games like Call of Duty or game tournaments like EVO. The communities section can remain for hype threads dedicated to a particular game that will later turn into community threads for that game and for those who wish to create platform specific communities. I think that by dividing the news forum into several platform specific groups we can avoid having to be too strict in telling people what news they can post and where. Provide structure without making it seem like you're forcing people into a corner.

7H3

I think that's not a bad idea, but is more so a thing to implement in the future as the user base grows... Also you can create these sub-forums pre-emptively and have them be hidden until they are truly needed.
"It's hip to be square." - Eurogamer<br />"Shut up its art!" -Legend

Dr. Pezus

I think that's not a bad idea, but is more so a thing to implement in the future as the user base grows... Also you can create these sub-forums pre-emptively and have them be hidden until they are truly needed.

I agree. I think keeping it all together for now will foster discussion.

7H3

exactly you don't want to truncate a small user base to soon... umm testing something legend

Legend

We don't have enough users for that.

Plus think back to vgchartz. Was there ever a benefit to having XBOX stuff in XBOX or PS in PS? Everyone just used the hot topics page. Having a filtering option so that a PlayStation guy can only see playStation threads could make sense if someone has the time to set it up, but I don't see the point of making tons of new boards for them.

Raven

Do we have, or can we even create, a functioning Hot Topic section? Also, I found it very useful at times when I was looking for a particular thread or two but it was not a hot topic. Made it a hell of a lot easier to find a thread about Sony news instead of having to search through every single news topic on the site. Yeah, we don't have many people right now and probably won't for quite some time but sooner or later people will ask for it and we'll probably have to do it anyways. NeoGAF is a cluster frack to find certain threads in, as an example.

Mmm_fish_tacos

Id like to see a developer s corner. 

Dr. Pezus

Is it possible to have the stat stuff and everything below the hot topics on the front page? Currently it's only if you go to forum index

7H3

All ideas posts ect.. are the sole IP of vizioneck... so unless you publish it first else where legend owns it :-p

Also I just downloaded UDK and will be playing around with that soon as I'm not to comfortable with their programming/logic interface. I prefer unity personally as it makes it easier for me to use code and art assets together.

Legend

Do we have, or can we even create, a functioning Hot Topic section? Also, I found it very useful at times when I was looking for a particular thread or two but it was not a hot topic. Made it a heck of a lot easier to find a thread about Sony news instead of having to search through every single news topic on the site. Yeah, we don't have many people right now and probably won't for quite some time but sooner or later people will ask for it and we'll probably have to do it anyways. NeoGAF is a cluster frack to find certain threads in, as an example.

Yeah hot topics is in the works. Also this site has a functioning search bar. You'll never lose a thread again!

That would be a pretty big security risk. I could give you access to simple stuff through promotion to admin, but for editing core files or the database you need to log in through the back door.

Is it possible to have the stat stuff and everything below the hot topics on the front page? Currently it's only if you go to forum index

Yeah. Don't know if it'll be done for Friday, but I'm working on it.

All ideas posts ect.. are the sole IP of vizioneck... so unless you publish it first else where legend owns it :-p

Also I just downloaded UDK and will be playing around with that soon as I'm not to comfortable with their programming/logic interface. I prefer unity personally as it makes it easier for me to use code and art assets together.

If you post it elsewhere first then I either still own it, or you're in breach of the registration agreement. Either way I win hahaha.
These terms are standard. They were this way on the chartz.

Raven

I'm perfectly fine with you owning me...

Dr. Pezus

I want you to owe me, not own me

7H3

If you post it elsewhere first then I either still own it, or you're in breach of the registration agreement. Either way I win hahaha.
These terms are standard. They were this way on the chartz.

hmm I don't think it works that way... I mean we can talk about all these games or upcoming COD, but the TOS doesn't supercede previous ownership rights...

Legend

hmm I don't think it works that way... I mean we can talk about all these games or upcoming COD, but the TOS doesn't supercede previous ownership rights...

Exactly, so if you post something you don't have legal ownership of, then you're breaking the TOS. It's just a good way to pass all responsibility over to the posters instead of the forum administration.

7H3

Exactly, so if you post something you don't have legal ownership of, then you're breaking the TOS. It's just a good way to pass all responsibility over to the posters instead of the forum administration.

I understand what you mean, and it is quite standard which is why I don't post ideas I want for myself :-p One of my college projects was a game redesign and I posted some of them on their forums and quite a few were implemented in that game. For the life of me though I can't remember the name of that game though.
I also remember having a conversation with a close friend over psn like a year ago that exactly outlined what h1z1 is going to be... :-p go figure