Video Game Sales Thread

Started by Xevross, Aug 14, 2014, 02:56 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Xevross

Where did you see US numbers?
Benji said the Spidey bundle sold over a million in the week it was available. Obviously he can't know that exactly but I think it'll be about right anyway.

Kerotan

Smash Bros gonna open higher than Pokémon in the U.K. or nah.
It really should be opening higher everywhere no? This game has been hyped up to the wazoo

ethomaz

Where did you see US numbers?
Because the bundle... it sold more than $199 last year so people are guessing 1 million.

Xevross

Nov 30, 2018, 08:39 PM Last Edit: Nov 30, 2018, 08:41 PM by Xevross
Smash Bros gonna open higher than Pokémon in the U.K. or nah.
I think so, its already much higher on the amazon 2018 list, whatever that counts for. People love Smash here too. Pokemon opened at 116k... hmmm... I think Smash will be around 150k.

Edit: also there's probably 150k+ more Switches out there for Smash, which is a substantial jump for UK Switch.

Kerotan

I think so, its already much higher on the amazon 2018 list, whatever that counts for. People love Smash here too. Pokemon opened at 116k... hmmm... I think Smash will be around 150k.

Edit: also there's probably 150k+ more Switches out there for Smash, which is a substantial jump for UK Switch.
Surely higher in Japan and the US too

BananaKing

Nintendo consoles have always sold proportionally larger amounts in the holidays compared to the others, especially playstation, which has historically low holiday bumps.

PS4 stock is smaller now because Sony heavily limited supply for black friday. Before then, they had only the basic console which they wanted to phase out, and they shipped nowhere near enough Spidey PS4's to meet demand. This meant that when all the Spidey PS4's had gone, it was pretty much just Pros left, which weren't discounted. Now the COD bundle has arrived, but stock was low. Nintendo need to ship about 3-4M more Switches than Sony do PS4s this quarter if they want to meet their respective targets, so its obvious why Switch stock is higher now.

Last November Switch sold 770k with absolutely 0 games and 0 Black Friday deals. This year it had a pokemon game which sold 1.5M+ in less than two weeks, and it had some very good deals on BF and CM. Both of those combined means we should expect a strong boost. And of course we get insider info, with Benji saying Switch sales started to soar and flew past PS4 in early November, so apart from the insane Spidey bundle, Switch is selling better. The 5 key days of the month being up 115% means that the rest of the month must be at least fairly similar to that.

Also to add, those games like Spidey and RDR2 are on a 5 year old console which has had many similar games release before. The console selling impact of them is going to be much smaller. Contrast that to the first pokemon game, which is of course a huge franchise, and the first smash game, which can sell even bigger, on a new console.

If you asked me a month ago, I would have said I expected a solid 1M+ month for Switch, but we are now hearing pokemon is doing a lot better than we thought, and insider info is pointing towards it being massively up YOY and having a comparable performance with PS4, which is close to flat YOY. Hence the ~1.4-1.5M November figures.

Last year, Switch doubled its November sales in December. A feat it won't do again this year, but when not supply constrained Nintendo consoles have always jumped up in December a lot more than the other two companies' consoles. Switch is a console which will attract families and kids, so naturally it will sell more in December as people Christmas shop. Add in a Smash launch which is looking to be the biggest ever (most pre-orders for Smash or any Switch game), and you can see why people are saying 2M+.

Obviously its hard to predict exact number yet, but I'm personally expecting 1.4-1.5M Switch in November and then for it to just sneak 2M in December. "Easy" 2.5M+ is definitely a pretty crazy prediction.
Idk man, before this Nintendo PR I would have expected the switch to sell 1.3~, of course that's my own personal prediction. But now it just seems weird. It doesn't add up, with the info from insiders, the 117% up on previous black Friday periods, and the LTD. I agree with you that logically, something is off.

Guess we will see once NPD comes out.

Kerotan

Switch 2m November. 4m December. The only explanation.

Cute Pikachu

Surely higher in Japan and the US too
Japan is projected a possible 1.5 million opening and US is projected it to open higher than sun and moon. I agree with Xevross it's gonna be a 130k debut imo.
The Vizioneck Nintendo Fanboy!

Switch Software Sales Guide:
http://vizioneck.com/forum/index.php?topic=5895.msg218699#new

Cute Pikachu

Let's Go is up 8% compared to X and Y due to holidays.

Darksiders 3 rip. Drop from 2 isn't pretty.
The Vizioneck Nintendo Fanboy!

Switch Software Sales Guide:
http://vizioneck.com/forum/index.php?topic=5895.msg218699#new

Xevross

Let's Go is up 8% compared to X and Y due to holidays.

Darksiders 3 rip. Drop from 2 isn't pretty.
Any context on this?

ethomaz

Dec 03, 2018, 12:48 AM Last Edit: Dec 03, 2018, 12:54 AM by ethomaz
Any context on this?
Probably UK.

I found the link.

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2018-12-02-uk-charts-fifa-19-retains-no-1-as-darksiders-iii-makes-no-32

I don't know how much a niche title can sell...

"Spider-Man is another standout. The game is the fastest-selling PS4 game ever released and is on course to overtake Uncharted 4 as the best-selling PS4 exclusive this generation (UK sales)."

Xevross

Probably UK.

I found the link.

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2018-12-02-uk-charts-fifa-19-retains-no-1-as-darksiders-iii-makes-no-32

I don't know how much a niche title can sell...

"Spider-Man is another standout. The game is the fastest-selling PS4 game ever released and is on course to overtake Uncharted 4 as the best-selling PS4 exclusive this generation (UK sales)."
Ah okay thanks. Yeah Spidey is doing well but its dropped out of the top 10 completely from #6 while FH4 held at #5. Forza Horizon series showing ridiculous legs once again.

About Darksiders 3, it debuted at 32, with 84% worse first week sales than the previous game. For those who don't want to click the link.

BFV had a very solid 48% drop.

BananaKing

Well darksiders was considered AAA last gen and was trying to compete with the big dogs, now it's clearly an AA tittle. Though they completely iced up it's release schedule. You don't release a game like that in the same holiday as RDR, CoD, battlefield, fallout, smash, Pokémon, AC, and more. It got completely over shadowed.

Who ever played darksiders 2 recently from PS+ (like me) has a huge list of more important games to play right now than DS3. They should have released it late Jan, when the competition was a lot less stiff

darkknightkryta

I bought Darksiders 3.

Xevross

Go Up