Ghost of Tsushima Thread - Reviews: (83 Meta / 111 Reviews) (85 Open/ 141 Reviews)

Started by Xevross, Jul 08, 2020, 07:23 PM

previous topic - next topic

Linked Events

Go Down

BananaKing

How is the story? Because this interests me more than anything else in this game?

Xevross

How is the story? Because this interests me more than anything else in this game?
Mixed opinions, seems like its an okay story overall but nothing special. Probably what's holding the game back most from high 80s.

84 takes up ranks #1809-2219 on meta all time and this game is sitting at 2193, so currently a low 84. Although that could also be buggy and behind...

Edit: now #2108
A few good reviews in a row and now its at #2019, so right in the middle of 84.

Xevross

What I'm liking most is that this is apparently a solid evolution of pre-Origins style AC games which is exactly what I wanted. Hopefully it does well and the sequels push on from here.

BananaKing

Shame that the story isn't as strong as it could be, as its an amazing premise.

Xevross

I've played a few hours and I'm loving it so far. I get that it isn't reinventing the wheel but I love the way its open world/ side content is structured. There isn't too much of it and the game organically leads you to things, so it doesn't just feel like you're checking off a list. Side quests are usually in longer quest chains so you can get into those stories, and they all make sense as to why Jin would be taking his time away from the main mission to do. There's no "oh no I lost my kitten", at least so far anyway, all the side quests are written fairly well.

The combat is definitely awesome, I think they nailed it.

nnodley

BananaKing

kitler53

I've played a few hours and I'm loving it so far. I get that it isn't reinventing the wheel but I love the way its open world/ side content is structured. There isn't too much of it and the game organically leads you to things, so it doesn't just feel like you're checking off a list. Side quests are usually in longer quest chains so you can get into those stories, and they all make sense as to why Jin would be taking his time away from the main mission to do. There's no "oh no I lost my kitten", at least so far anyway, all the side quests are written fairly well.

The combat is definitely awesome, I think they nailed it.
great to hear.  any load time issues making it worth my time to wait for ps5?

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

the-pi-guy

great to hear.  any load time issues making it worth my time to wait for ps5?

Digital Foundry mentioned the load times are surprisingly short.

Xevross

great to hear.  any load time issues making it worth my time to wait for ps5?

Nope, loading is very short. Death load screen is like 5 seconds maximum. Fast travel is a few seconds only but I haven't gone that far yet. The loading in between some jumps/ cuts to black in story missions can take up to 10 seconds sometimes but that's very infrequent and doesn't feel too bad.

How would you describe the combat? What game does it feel like?
Its basically like a spicy old AC/ Arkham style system. You have enemies coming at you with attacks, you can either dodge or parry to try and counter and sometimes that's forced. However there's a lot more going on and its a lot more complex. You hold L1 to block but if you press it as an attack comes in then its a parry.

If you attack enemies they have their guard up so you need to use heavy attacks to break their guard. You can change stances to be more effective against different enemy types, breaking their guard faster and possibly having other advantages like more damage.

There's usually ranged enemies you have to watch out for but they always shout before they fire (to warn their allies) so you gotta listen for the cues and dodge at the right time.

Then of course you have your own bow with different ammo types and different gadgets you can use too. You also unlock special attacks and different combos. Plus the skill trees seem quite extensive giving you lots of unique skills, for example I can now deflect arrows if I'm holding block.

So yeah it basically feels like a much more free flowing evolution of that old AC combat formula. Its like a dance at dance and it feels really awesome when its going well. Its definitely quite challenging, I imagine on hard you can die a lot. Multiple enemies do attack you at the same time so you do have to be quite patient and wait for the right times to strike, especially against bigger groups.

the-pi-guy

Edge #348 review scores | ResetEra

Cover is silver Cyberpunk 2077.

Ghosts of Tsuhima - 6
 Desparados III - 8
 Disintegration - 5
 Valorant - 8
 Ninjala - 7
 West of Dead - 6
 Creaks - 8
 Little Orpheus - 5
 Monster Train - 8
 Bird Alone - 7

Time Extend is on Half Life Decay  
[/size]

BananaKing

Xevross

Dr. Pezus

Legend

Amazing game. Has a cool look and unique play. Not like most games.

Go Up