PlayStation Community Thread

Viewing single post

Started by Dr. Pezus, May 03, 2014, 03:25 PM

previous topic - next topic

Rorono

I agree that Xbox fans have over-inflated the significance of Quantum Break and praise it for things it really doesn't deserve praise for. Remedy is an overrated development team. They're really good but they don't deserve the near god-tier treatment they've been getting from that fanbase. There is definitely a difference there between who says what about Quantum Break and The Order. My problem with people who hype The Order the way some of them do is that it's bordering on a near mindless praise of Ready at Dawn. Now they proved to be a studio capable of taking someone else's work and making great games with it but they've never made their own. It's also their first time making a console game from scratch. I've heard people rip into other games for not having multiplayer but then give The Order a pass. It's not on the level of Quantum Break but it's still irritating to read or listen to.

I've read that often about RAD and can't say I agree with that line of thought. Gaming history is full of examples of

a) people who took someone else's work and botched it up
b) ruined (or very inferior) sequels, spiritual sequels and spin offs made by the original creators

So if even the creators can mess up their own foundations, i'd say it's not fair to dismiss merit from what RAD did on the PSP.
Just as an example, many would say their GOWs were better than Ascension. And while it's true Ascension had some different key people, it was still Santa Monica.
Devs can't just take the base system (like a combat system) and leave it at that, there's pacing, there's level design, there's writing, there's boss encounters, puzzle design, so many things...