Which game had the most wasted potential?

Started by Legend, Mar 10, 2019, 01:20 AM

previous topic - next topic

Legend

LBP3 is an easy answer. 1 and 2 were great. 3 could have brought a lot of new things to the table thanks to next gen, but instead it added tons of gimmicky elements that didn't improve anything. Plus it had lots of glitches.

Ryse son of rome also comes to mind. If it was just a bit better it could have been a big new franchise for Xbox.

the-pi-guy

The Order.
It had moments that felt ripped out of Uncharted 2, except it didn't know how to execute those moments. If it had, I think it would have been a vastly better game.  And if they fixed it's other issues, I daresay it could've been one of the best games of the generation .

BananaKing

The order 1886
Anthem
Uncharted 4- it should have had more set pieces

Xevross

All great shouts in this thread so far.

I'm gonna add Driveclub. It fulfilled it's potential in terms of content and quality after a couple of years of free updates and gamings best season pass. But thanks to its poor launch its name was tarnished and it never reached the sales it has the potential to get.

Evolution have eventually gone down the shitter and we're never getting a Driveclub 2 which could have been amazing. Such a shame.

kitler53

Mar 11, 2019, 02:46 PM Last Edit: Mar 11, 2019, 03:01 PM by kitler53
LBP3 is an easy answer. 1 and 2 were great. 3 could have brought a lot of new things to the table thanks to next gen, but instead it added tons of gimmicky elements that didn't improve anything. Plus it had lots of glitches.

Ryse son of rome also comes to mind. If it was just a bit better it could have been a big new franchise for Xbox.
LBP 3 was pushed to a low teir developer so MM could move on to dreams.  i don't think it ever had a ton of "potential".   it's more just disappointing they took a game as established as LBP and iced it up.  they didn't have to do much other than port LBP 2 to ps4 and create a new campaign. 

The Order.
It had moments that felt ripped out of Uncharted 2, except it didn't know how to execute those moments. If it had, I think it would have been a vastly better game.  And if they fixed it's other issues, I daresay it could've been one of the best games of the generation .
i really liked the order.  i was hoping for a sequel .  the game had a really good atmosphere/world design and a strong gameplay foundation.  they just spent a bit too much time of "fabric physics" and not enough time on building a meaty campaign.  it was too short.  the enemy variety lacked a bit.  a bit high on the cut scene to gameplay ratio.   but it had soo many good things going for it.

so yeah,.. lots of wasted potential there. 

my vote is for knack.

i don't have anything nice to say about knack itself expect that sony put a significant investment in to building a new IP that has a kid friendly atheistic instead of the grimy/realistic atheistic you see in the rest of their portfolio: uncharted, GoW, TLoU, the order, days gone, ect.

the world would be a better place if playstation had a few more "rachet and clank"s or "spyro"s or "crash team recing"s.  knack was terrible.  we deserved a game from sony in that vain but doesn't suck.

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

DerNebel

PS Allstars Battle Royale. Now to be fair, I've actually never played that game. However to take a concept like Smash Bros with PS characters and to then shame it out in such an half-assed state is really just the epitome of wasted potential.

This could have been a major Sony franchise by now, if only someone had realized that you'd need to spend more than the bare minimum on an idea like this to actually make it work... but that's just PS3 era Sony for you.

the-pi-guy

PS Allstars Battle Royale. Now to be fair, I've actually never played that game. However to take a concept like Smash Bros with PS characters and to then shame it out in such an half-assed state is really just the epitome of wasted potential.
Yeah a bit. 

It tried to differentiate itself by making offense more important.  Which some people hated.
Like in Smash Bros, it's a reasonable strategy to let the other 3 fight, while avoiding them and then swoop in when their health is low.

Whereas PSAS, every player has to get involved in the fight to charge your own meter for a one hit kill. 

So some people liked it because you were forced to get involved.  But others hated it because it felt cheesy.  You could get knocked out by the first hit against you.   

But largely the game could have used more depth and more variety. 

DerNebel

Yeah a bit.  

It tried to differentiate itself by making offense more important.  Which some people hated.
Like in Smash Bros, it's a reasonable strategy to let the other 3 fight, while avoiding them and then swoop in when their health is low.

Whereas PSAS, every player has to get involved in the fight to charge your own meter for a one hit kill.  

So some people liked it because you were forced to get involved.  But others hated it because it felt cheesy.  You could get knocked out by the first hit against you.  

But largely the game could have used more depth and more variety.  
Even ignoring mechanics, just looking at the roster it feels like someone was taking the piss with this. A Playstation character brawler with no Cloud, Crash, Spyro, Lara Croft, Snake, someone from Resident Evil and maybe Sora? Those, at least in my mind, would be the absolute essentials in a game like this. And instead they put in such iconic PS characters like Big Daddy and Isaac Clarke... Come the hell on.

Cute Pikachu

PS All Stars is one of the greatest gaming tragedies of our time. Why did you not go all out Sony, why :(
The Vizioneck Nintendo Fanboy!

Switch Software Sales Guide:
http://vizioneck.com/forum/index.php?topic=5895.msg218699#new