Video Game Sales Thread

Started by Xevross, Aug 14, 2014, 02:56 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

BananaKing

Its funny because the PS4's BF deals got worse and worse every year in the UK since 2016, yet they keep winning BF and selling really well. Then this year they finally make the deals good again (available for under £199) and its by far their worst BF. I guess it was still a fairly high price, and anybody who was just shopping for a good deal on a console was absolutely gonna pick up an XB1 for £100 less. Sony are just all about the profit on PS4 now, which I've said numerous times I think is a bad approach, but hey ho.
Yeah it was mad. I have literally 0 reason to buy an XB1 - we already have one in my flat, I play all the xbox games I want on my PC, I don't even really have space in my room for a new console. And yet I was still so close to picking one up.
The deals were insane. I was so tempted despite recently buying a ps4 on offer.

Xevross

Dec 04, 2019, 10:38 PM Last Edit: Dec 07, 2019, 02:04 PM by Xevross
Nintendo Switch Achieves Its Best Week of Sales Ever in the U.S. | Business Wire

830k Switch sold from 24th Nov to 30th Nov in the US (week covering BF). Switch's best week in the US ever. Total sales in the Americas now over 17.5m.

Pokemon Sword/Shield now over 3m in the Americas. Also:

MK8D over 8.5m
Smash over 8m
SMO 6.5m
NSMBUd 1.5m

Xevross

Dec 07, 2019, 02:17 PM Last Edit: Dec 07, 2019, 02:20 PM by Xevross
Wow I'm an idiot, I completely misread that sales report before. Its 830k sales in the regular week (sun-sat) covering BF and not covering cyber monday, which is absolutely huge. The article said that on top of this, cyber monday for switch was its best ever, and we know last year was good.

Cyber monday was included in Nov last year, and Switch got 1355k for the month. No cyber monday this year, but we know it sold 830k in the last week. So the question is did it sell 520k+ in the three weeks prior. And I'd say yeah most likely. Last year Nov sales was probs something like:

Week 1: 100k
Week 2: 200k (Pokemon)
Week 3: 700k (Black Friday)
Week 4: 355k (Cyber Monday)

And this year I'd guess something like:

Week 1: 150k
Week 2: 250k (Pokemon)
Week 3: 250k
Week 4: 830k (Black Friday)

So total of 1480k, up about 10% YOY.

Legend

Oculus Quest is selling for over $800 (64GB) and $1000 (128GB) on Amazon now due to high demand | ResetEra

Oculus Quest's demand is in overdrive now, and sellers are rising their price to sell for profit.

Amazon.com: oculus quest  Amazon.com: oculus quest    www.amazon.com    

the-pi-guy

Legend

https://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/2019/videogames/ref=zg_bsar_pg_2?ie=UTF8&pg=2

Quest is #58, #89
Rift S #66
Go #67

VR is doing pretty well....  
I'd love to get a quest. VR on PC and PS4 (to a lesser extent) is way less accessible since I need to set the hardware up before playing. For a big game that isn't an issue but I'd never just pop in to VR for 10 minutes like I do with other games.

Xevross

Here's what can be inferred from the Era prediction results for Nov 2019 NPD:

1416k < Switch < 1462k
 802k < XB1 < 873k
 1074k < PS4

BananaKing

I dont understand why Sony doesn't ship more PS4 at the 200 price point. I understand they want to make more money by selling them for 300 but dang, they could have sold a lot more these past 3 black friday weeks if they did. Software and PS+ would gave certainly made up for that lost revenue

Xevross

I dont understand why Sony doesn't ship more PS4 at the 200 price point. I understand they want to make more money by selling them for 300 but dang, they could have sold a lot more these past 3 black friday weeks if they did. Software and PS+ would gave certainly made up for that lost revenue
It is certainly a strange strategy. I understand them not wanting to sell too many for a lower profit but if they're going to ship a limited amount then why not just got $249 for a bit longer, they'd probably sell through the same amount the demand is that high. Seems they're doing a deal for $249 for a couple weeks in December, compared to no deals last December. Should hold much better this year.

XB1 is almost dead at this point, dirt cheap and and still way behind PS4 in November, the month where it usually shows its muscle.

Dr. Pezus

Here's what can be inferred from the Era prediction results for Nov 2019 NPD:

1416k < Switch < 1462k
 802k < XB1 < 873k
 1074k < PS4
Pretty decent Dec for ps4 considering. How was last year?

Xevross

Dec 24, 2019, 12:04 AM Last Edit: Dec 24, 2019, 12:07 AM by Xevross
Pretty decent Dec for ps4 considering. How was last year?
Nov 2018 NPD:

PS4 1475k
Switch 1355k
XB1 1340k

It was an amazing month all round really. Very much helped by Cyber Monday counting in November though, which this year doesn't have. Considering that, this year I think PS4 held well, Switch had a good bump and XB1.... eh, not awful.

PS4 so far is down about 32% YoY, XB1 down about 36% and Switch up 17%. December 2018 looked like this:

Switch 1770k
XB1 920k
PS4 797k

Despite Smash being massive last year I think Switch will be up YoY thanks to Cyber Monday although not by much. After this Nov, XB1 should be down YoY in Decmber. I can only see it declining from November to December like the past two years. PS4 could actually be up YoY in December as last year was so low and this year they're actually doing a deal (plus Cyber Monday). That would be the only month in 2019 PS4 managed to be up YoY and would help lower the overall yearly drop (XB1 also hasn't been up YoY in any month yet). I think my early prediction for December NPD would be something like:

Switch 1800k
PS4 900k
XB1 750k

BananaKing

Do we know the totals for consoles in the US so far?

Xevross

Dec 24, 2019, 12:32 AM Last Edit: Dec 24, 2019, 12:36 AM by Xevross
Do we know the totals for consoles in the US so far?
Obviously some months are estimates only so this could be a bit out but probably very accurate:

PS4 31.441M
XB1 26.684M
Switch 15.024M

Here's XB1 and PS4's launch aligned totals with Switch:

PS4 14.171M
XB1 12.405M

November is one of the two 'fair' months of comparison for launch aligned sales, so Switch is genuinely doing better.

BananaKing

Yeah switch sales are very impressive in the US. I feel Sony should have been more aggressive there. The only year they were really aggressive was 2015.

Dr. Pezus

Nov 2018 NPD:

PS4 1475k
Switch 1355k
XB1 1340k

It was an amazing month all round really. Very much helped by Cyber Monday counting in November though, which this year doesn't have. Considering that, this year I think PS4 held well, Switch had a good bump and XB1.... eh, not awful.

PS4 so far is down about 32% YoY, XB1 down about 36% and Switch up 17%. December 2018 looked like this:

Switch 1770k
XB1 920k
PS4 797k

Despite Smash being massive last year I think Switch will be up YoY thanks to Cyber Monday although not by much. After this Nov, XB1 should be down YoY in Decmber. I can only see it declining from November to December like the past two years. PS4 could actually be up YoY in December as last year was so low and this year they're actually doing a deal (plus Cyber Monday). That would be the only month in 2019 PS4 managed to be up YoY and would help lower the overall yearly drop (XB1 also hasn't been up YoY in any month yet). I think my early prediction for December NPD would be something like:

Switch 1800k
PS4 900k
XB1 750k
Oh I meant Nov in my comment ofc lol

Go Up