The VR thread. U R Not red(e) PSVR2 is legitimate!

Started by Mmm_fish_tacos, Sep 05, 2015, 06:10 PM

previous topic - next topic

How sick of Pi's VR hype are you?

Go Down

Legend

^no idea.  On another note I had a dream that I used PSVR, the screen looked really good.  

In my dream I was waiting for OR in the morning.

the-pi-guy

In my dream I was waiting for OR in the morning.
So in my dream, I was in some sort of classroom, and they announced the PS4.5.  Its focus was for VR.  And I had the PSVR in my backpack, and in this classroom, a ton of people were plugging into the same system.  I took it out of my backpack and it looked insanely clear.  I was getting really excited and wanted to tell you guys how amazing the PSVR looks.  And then it was like it went out of focus.  Suddenly there was really awful screen door effect and other issues.

That's when I woke up I think.  

the-pi-guy

Some (not so) nice words by the "Creative Director at Ubisoft Montreal. Far Cry 4, Assassin's Creed 3, Spore, Sims 2 etc."

Legend

the-pi-guy

Roomscale is apparently killer:

If you have the space for it, for my money, the HTC Vive blows the Oculus out the water as a long term investment.
Room scale VR is amazing, but does ideally need you to make space in your life to accommodate it. Having a Holodeck in your home doesn't come without it's drawbacks.
VR is here, and I have been sold as a believer. While the Oculus is a very strong VR headset, the Vive feels like it's in a league of its own comparatively. The big sticking issue is how the market reacts to the price long term, and if development of new games maintains a consistent pace.
Link

Mmm_fish_tacos

the-pi-guy

Or should be capable of the same thing. Or close too it.
No motion controller for OR yet, but later this year, the only big difference will be the FOV and the camera included.  
I guess OR looks better, but Vive's FOV gives it advantages for Roomscale.  
I wonder if we'll see some sort of camera add on.  

the-pi-guy

Legend

Vive is arriving

Vive delivered! CA, US : Vive

I wonder how that works.

Could be intercepting GPU calls, or could be just mapping motion to mouse. Need to see demos with more games!

EDT: yeah seems to just be mapping to mouse control. Image is in 2D.

the-pi-guy

Vive is arriving

Vive delivered! CA, US : Vive

I wonder how that works.

Could be intercepting GPU calls, or could be just mapping motion to mouse. Need to see demos with more games!

EDT: yeah seems to just be mapping to mouse control. Image is in 2D.
There seems to be a lot of interest in automagically making those types of games into VR.  
Will be interesting to see what types of applications people come up with.  :D

the-pi-guy

So, since Home came out, I've been using my DK2 like crazy. Earlier today the foam on the left side of the DK2 detached. I thought "no biggie, I'll just crazy glue it back on". So I added a nice line of glue, pressed the foam on, waited a few mins and proceeded to play Gunjack for about 15 mins. At that point I got thirsty and went to take the HMD off, which is when I noticed the Rift had glommed itself to my left cheek (Resistance is futile!). It seems some of the glue had seeped through the foam and glued my cheek to the cushion.

After a few seconds of panic, I calmed down enough to call my neighbor to come over and help me, which he did (after he laughed his dog off). Now after an hour my face is Rift free and I'm the owner of a nice, baby smooth, acetone peeled cheek. :D

Moral of the story: Always let the glue dry.

GLUE

FOV is a tricky one but it doesn't affect me at all. Everytime I went into a game, I never noticed it. I only get fully-immersed every now and then, but right now I'm really focussing on the headset and the software, so I'm always aware that it's new and that I should be excited. I think immersion will improve as you use the Rift more, you will start to focus less on the fact you're actually wearing a headset.

Screen door effect is definitely there, it's not noticeable in bright games, but dark ones and ones with text can make it appear. You forget about it.

Resolution is lower than I expected, you can't replace a monitor with this. However, I could comfortably watch Netflix in it. Games look A-OK in terms of resolution.

Overall Impressions fudge yeah! I love VR! It's worth the wait, it's crazy good. Like, just, guys. I hope you all get your Rift soon, incredible piece of technology!

I think my mother summed it up brilliantly, she said:

"But it's like a dream, I have a memory of what just happened like it was real" She called it "mindblowing" and it really is mindblowing.
Review

Having my own personal private cinema room is insane. Its so effortless. Crack open a beer and pull up a movie on Netflix and i'm there. I'm actually THERE (Presence is a utterly mind-blowing feeling, especialy when you're immersed in a movie, WHILST immersed in a virtual cinema...).

I have already spent 8 hours today watching movies. I actually want to just WATCH things now, as opposed to lazily browsing Reddit whilst something plays on my second display in my peripheral.

This is just crazy, Palmer, you beautiful basket, thank you for bestowing this glorious gift of VR upon us humble consumers.
Theater

Dr. Pezus

the-pi-guy

Universe Sandbox supports VR.  
Steam Community :: Group Announcements :: Universe Sandbox ²

Which seems like it could be awesome, and then really really really suck at some point.  

Legend

Mmm_fish_tacos

It would be really nice if they would ship my rift.

Go Up