Movie Thread

Started by Dr. Pezus, May 25, 2014, 04:14 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Xevross

Jul 03, 2019, 09:18 AM Last Edit: Jul 03, 2019, 04:16 PM by Xevross
Spidey ~$40m tuesday debut domestically. New all time tuesday record and that's a great start. Considering no previews (only limited midnights which made around $3m) and discounts will have probably harmed more than helped, that's a few mil bigger than Homecoming's opening 'true friday' comparatively.

Homecoming made $154m in its first 6 days, I think $180m+ would be good for FFH for the 6 day opening but really hoping it can land at $200m. Wednesday hold is key, apparently 3rd July is a big movie day in America as everyone has the next day off.

Legend

Jul 06, 2019, 05:02 AM Last Edit: Jul 06, 2019, 05:09 AM by Legend
Saw far from home. Liked it a lot. Far better than homecoming imo. Although the end credits scene really reminded me how much I miss the other films set in New York. Hopefully spidy 3 can be even more traditional like that, but again this one was great.

Oh also saw bumblebee. Kinda good actually. Second half was worse but still better than the dumpster fire I expected. Set in 1987 and had the ISS as a plot element, that was crazy off lol.

Xevross

Saw far from home. Liked it a lot. Far better than homecoming imo. Although the end credits scene really reminded me how much I miss the other films set in New York. Hopefully spidy 3 can be even more traditional like that, but again this one was great.

Oh also saw bumblebee. Kinda good actually. Second half was worse but still better than the dumpster fire I expected. Set in 1987 and had the ISS as a plot element, that was crazy off lol.
Yeah I like that they're mixing it up though, new york has been done so much I guess they're worried people will be getting bored of the same Spidey stories over and over.

Still need to see Bumblebee, thanks for reminding me!

the-pi-guy

Endgame had a $1.86m friday domestically thanks to the re-release. Heading for a $6m weekend. Overseas is still very much up in the air, but this doesn't look like anywhere near enough to reach Avatar (to me). If Disney want the record they gotta do more pushing.
15.5m away yet.

the-pi-guy

Watched Ralph wrecks the internet, it's... Okay... No where near the awesomeness of the first
8 months later:

I'm in the middle...

Spoiler for Hidden:
<br><br>The whole social media thing is lame. <br><br>The Disney princess segment is a bit meh<br>

BananaKing

Just saw the mulan trailer. Looks like shame.

Legend

Jul 08, 2019, 09:19 PM Last Edit: Jul 08, 2019, 09:22 PM by Legend
8 months later:

I'm in the middle...

Spoiler for Hidden:

The whole social media thing is lame.

The Disney princess segment is a bit meh

I liked that Disney part!

Saw Serenity. Oh my gosh what a horrible movie but still kinda good. Massive spoiler but can't really explain the issues otherwise.

Spoiler for Hidden:
<br>Whole movie was in a video game. Matthew Mcconaughey learns his whole life is fake and he is just a program and he just kinda roles with it. Really weird. The movie shouldn&#39;t have gone with such a far out plot if it had zero impact on things.<br>

Looks uninspired imo.

BananaKing

I liked that Disney part!

Saw Serenity. Oh my gosh what a horrible movie but still kinda good. Massive spoiler but can't really explain the issues otherwise.

Spoiler for Hidden:

Whole movie was in a video game. Matthew Mcconaughey learns his whole life is fake and he is just a program and he just kinda roles with it. Really weird. The movie shouldn't have gone with such a far out plot if it had zero impact on things.

Looks uninspired imo.
What looks uninspiring? The idea that mulan seems bad dog right from the start (because women power) rather than have to train and try and prove herself, removing most of the character development? Or that they no sign of the best character in the show is no where to be seen? Or that mulan fights in a dress mid battle (because again, women power).

Mulan was a great story, it showed how women were viewed as lesser in a certain society, and it took the entire films length for her to earn the respect she deserved. And she didnt earn it because she was bad dog jumping over horses and shame. It's a shame, they had a chance to make a very great film here. But of course the need to cater to the "PC" crowd will utterly destroy those chances

the-pi-guy

I see absolutely no emotion.
No laughter, no fear, no anything else....

Xevross

Mulan looks fine. Isn't Mulan without the songs and the changes to it though.

If Spider-Man: Far From Home doesn't make a billion (which it will), full control reverts to Sony | ResetEra

In a recent edition of journalist Richard Rushfield's entertainment industry newsletter The Ankler, Rushfield peels back the secretive curtain of the deal that was signed between Sony and Marvel Studios back in 2015 to share the character. "The original Sony/Marvel/Spidey deal to co-produce these movies stipulated that if this Spidey cleared a billion, Marvel would get to oversee a third. If it hadn't, full control would have reverted back to Sony," he writes.

To be clear, Far From Home has not yet crossed the billion dollar mark at the worldwide box office, but the fact that it's already made over $600 million in its first week is practically a guarantee that it will cross the coveted billion dollar threshold before it leaves theaters. So the Sony/Marvel Studios deal will still hold - at least for one more solo Spider-Man movie, because actor Tom Holland revealed back in 2016 that he was on board for three solo Spider-Man films and three appearances in other MCU movies.  Click to expand... Click to shrink...  
www.slashfilm.com   If 'Spider-Man: Far From Home' Doesn't Make a Billion Dollars, Sony Breaks Free of the Marvel Studios Deal  The Ankler's Richard Rushfield reveals the Spider-Man contract stipulation that could result in Sony regaining full cinematic control of the webslinger.   www.slashfilm.com www.slashfilm.com         Bullets Over the Box Office: Spidey, Spidey, Spidey Ho - The Ankler     theankler.com theankler.com    
 And for anyone that has seen those e-mails from the Sony hack (or the TASM movies), you know how big of a bullet was dodged here. Now, just keep Tom Holland far, far away from Venom.

Edit: Maybe the second half of the title would be clearer if it said "Sony is no longer contractually obligated to work with Marvel"  
[/size]

Thank god it's probably gonna make it, but can we all go watch it (again) just in case ;D

Xevross

Good song. Press reactions from the premiere are extremely positive, looks like we're going to have the huge hit that we expected from TLK. Question is how huge. $1-1.5b range or could it challenge $2b... gonna be fun to follow.

Xevross

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_lion_king_2019

Only 67% and some real scathing reviews in there. Definitely not what I was expecting but it has looked pretty bad in some videos. This in particular is a big yikes, it seems to have lost all its personality

the-pi-guy

Well it was hard training those lions!

Xevross

Jul 11, 2019, 04:59 PM Last Edit: Jul 11, 2019, 05:05 PM by Xevross
Well it was hard training those lions!
Yeah although its a shame for all the people that the lions ate that their sacrifice was in vein. Original 1994 version just looks so much better. Sure the animals are crazy realistic but colours and expresion trumps that any day, one of the reasons why into the spider-verse was so amazing.

Fallen to 61% on RT already. Might end up rotten. Aladdin was rotten and had the best legs of any blockbuster in summer, so who knows what that means anyway.

Edit: yep 58% and rotten now.

Legend

Not a rt fan (their scores never seem to reflect what I see) but ouch with that tweet.

Felt the same way about Jungle Book though so maybe this will still print money.

Go Up