COVID-19

Started by the-pi-guy, Mar 10, 2020, 04:46 AM

previous topic - next topic

the-pi-guy

Mar 15, 2020, 10:46 AM Last Edit: Mar 15, 2020, 11:33 AM by the-pi-guy
It's interesting how little impact it is having on younger folks.  Only 2.4% of cases are for those under 20.
Few fatalities also.  

Disease greatly affects the older generation though.  

Dumbest things I've seen:
-i was in the military, so I'm immune to COVID 19
- we already had the Coronavirus a couple months ago, remember when everyone was getting sick?  

nnodley

It's interesting how little impact it is having on younger folks.  Only 2.4% of cases are for those under 20.
Few fatalities also.  

Disease greatly affects the older generation though.  

Dumbest things I've seen:
-i was in the military, so I'm immune to COVID 19
- we already had the Coronavirus a couple months ago, remember when everyone was getting sick?  

For the bolded.  I've seen some say this before.  Definitely not true, but it is an interesting thing to think about if a disease travels all around the world before anyone really notices and then maybe it starts to get more deadly for some reason.  

Is there any fiction that deals with something like this?  Besides say zombie fiction?

Legend

my kids schools are closed until "at least march 30th".  my wife has a mandatory work from home policy.  my work officially doesn't have a policy (corporate is just so fudgy unorganized) but our office manager told everyone to stay at home for at least 2 weeks.  

there is a major run at the grocery store.   i will admit i fell into some panic buying myself.  ..but seeing the store at least a third empty and reading about how the distribution channels are disrupted,.. well i grabbed a lot.   the good news for me is my family cooks a lot so i was buying a lot of things that other people were not.  the only thing i got screwed on was flour.  couldn't buy any.  :(
Local stores have also been pretty empty here.

My family has a well stocked pantry that could double as doomsday rations but it was still unsettling seeing empty shelves. Almost all of the fresh meat was sold out. They still had corned beef though which was great.

the-pi-guy

Pretty much everything is cancelled.  Library is closed.

Local stores have also been pretty empty here.

My family has a well stocked pantry that could double as doomsday rations but it was still unsettling seeing empty shelves. Almost all of the fresh meat was sold out. They still had corned beef though which was great.
I've been at Walmart almost 6 years and I've never seen anything close.

We're a small walmart that tends to get spared of the really big stuff.
Even still, it's crazy to see entire aisles basically picked over.  And not just one aisle, but several.  

I think for the super bowl, the soda was basically gone.  But this is like the bread, toilet paper, paper towel, kleenex, wipes, pet food are all gone.  Cans, cereal, milk are almost gone.  

Just insane.

Dr. Pezus

Germany tries to halt U.S. interest in firm working on coronavirus vaccine - Reuters

Trump is a disgrace. Not that we didn't know that before but how low can one possibly go?

Xevross

I'm showing a few symptoms right now, kinda scary but I feel okay. See how I go over the next few days. I guess being in London right now its not too unlikely I may have caught it.

Dr. Pezus

I'm showing a few symptoms right now, kinda scary but I feel okay. See how I go over the next few days. I guess being in London right now its not too unlikely I may have caught it.
Stay inside
If you have it youll be fine

kitler53

Plenty of other links if you don't like this one..
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/15/traders-await-futures-open-after-fed-cuts-rates-launches-easing-program.html

...but the main point is,.. holy shame did the economy tank fast.   even thought the virus should dissipate fairly quickly it is hard to imagine the economic impact not being long term.  a "domino of defaults" seems inevitable as consumer spending comes to a screeching halt.

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

Dr. Pezus

This is about to turn into a disaster in the US. Feel sorry for Americans. It's never been more clear how incompetent and godawful their president is.

the-pi-guy

This is about to turn into a disaster in the US. Feel sorry for Americans. It's never been more clear how incompetent and godawful their president is.
What happened?  

Dr. Pezus

What happened?  
Well cases are skyrocketing it seems and many places are already out of basic masks, nevermind the full isolation clothing

the-pi-guy

Well cases are skyrocketing it seems and many places are already out of basic masks, nevermind the full isolation clothing
The issue is the people that blindly support Trump are the ones that are both going to be the most affected and they're the ones who will support him even on their death bed.  

Trump is also probably getting credit for the decisions made by the states, since they're the ones who are largely running things right now.  

At least in my state, right now most businesses are shut down, people are supposed to stay home unless they're going out to get medical or groceries.  

kitler53

Mar 21, 2020, 04:09 PM Last Edit: Mar 21, 2020, 04:20 PM by kitler53
The issue is the people that blindly support Trump are the ones that are both going to be the most affected and they're the ones who will support him even on their death bed. 

Trump is also probably getting credit for the decisions made by the states, since they're the ones who are largely running things right now. 

At least in my state, right now most businesses are shut down, people are supposed to stay home unless they're going out to get medical or groceries. 

probably not.  cities will always be harder hit than rual.  trump supporters are inheritaly at lower risk than democrates.   it's probably part of why there is a big partisan divide on this issue,.. yeah a bit of drinking the trump cool aid but also a guy on a farm where the nearest neighbor is 1/2 a mile, the nearest town is 5 miles, and the town only has 10,000 total.    ..their whole lives is more "socially distant" then mine is right now despite the shelter in place order.

he is,.. it is really annoying to me that the preperations being done at the state, city, and corporation level are being credited to trump.  my wife's work did a mandatory work from home practice drill to test their network capabilities while trump was still calling it a "democratic hoax".  my schools closed when trump was still claiming a "i don't pandemic is inevitable".  he only started caring when the markets dropped,.. and so far as i can see he seems to only care about the economic impact of corona probably because the hotel industry is getting particularly hammered and that's where much of his fortunes are.

with responses like this it is soo clear that he is just incapable of feeling compassion for the thousands that are already dead and the millions that are scared about what's to come:

Reporter:  "What do you say to Americans who are scared?"

Trump: "I say that you are a terrible reporter, That's what I say.  You're doing sensationalism, and the same with NBC and Comcast. I don't call it Comcast. I call it 'Con-Cast.'"

...such a softball question.    ..such a failure of a leader.

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

Dr. Pezus

Almost 800 dead in Italy in a single day, about 5k new infections. Absolute travesty

nnodley

Thankfully my idiotic employers finally are doing work from home.  All it took was 1 guy to fake potentially having corona and boom same day we are going home and working from home.  

I'm watching some index fund stocks very closely.  Gonna probably buy some as they most likely continue to fall.  Especially just to start investing and bring in dividend payments.

Go Up