VizionEck

Started by Legend, May 31, 2015, 07:32 AM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

the-pi-guy

If after those 3 games I've still not recovered my expenses and made a livable wage, then it's a financial failure and I'd have no clue what to do ::)
Go back to school!  (I know you'll say no.  You'll have no moneys, no ambition to become an engineer or anything.)
That was back when Adventure and Cube Royale were a combo and had much smaller scopes.
I know.   ::)
12$ I think seems reasonable. Maybe 15.

Legend

Go back to school!  (I know you'll say no.  You'll have no moneys, no ambition to become an engineer or anything.)I know.   ::)
12$ I think seems reasonable. Maybe 15.
Won't do $12. If you don't round the price, it makes it feel like a lower quality game.

I'm planning to do school regardless.

the-pi-guy

I'm planning to do school regardless.
:o
Really?  

I just remember you not being so sure the last time you talked about it.  

Legend

:o
Really?  

I just remember you not being so sure the last time you talked about it.  
That was years ago!

the-pi-guy

That was years ago!
What?  You can't just change your mind on a subject like that every couple years!  /s

Are you thinking back to engineering or something else?  

Legend

What?  You can't just change your mind on a subject like that every couple years!  /s

Are you thinking back to engineering or something else?  
No definitely software. I was already switching to programing before deciding to try game dev.

SWORDF1SH

A 3rd smaller game! Can you give us some info?

Legend

A 3rd smaller game! Can you give us some info?
Probably a multiplayer FPS or something. Would re-skin Cube Royale with new graphics and experiment with different gimmicks and concepts (no cubes).

I haven't spent any time thinking about the details. Just the byproduct of wanting to spend less time between releases.

Legend

OH NICE!

This is just boring programer stuff, but I had a function that'd sometimes run a couple hundred times a frame and it was generating some garbage. Not enough to be a problem, but still enough to stand out compared to other functions.

I redesigned the function to fix that. Now it produces zero garbage, runs significantly faster, and produces better results! I don't care if an expert programer could have made this improvement in 5 minutes, it's impressive for me haha.

the-pi-guy

OH NICE!

This is just boring programer stuff, but I had a function that'd sometimes run a couple hundred times a frame and it was generating some garbage. Not enough to be a problem, but still enough to stand out compared to other functions.

I redesigned the function to fix that. Now it produces zero garbage, runs significantly faster, and produces better results! I don't care if an expert programer could have made this improvement in 5 minutes, it's impressive for me haha.
Boring programmer stuff he says.  

Legend

A lot of times I just use random values to give objects unique identifiers. Statistically it's very unlikely to cause problems but I'd be a bad programer if I didn't have a failsafe to check for duplicates. It's amusing that I'm more likely to win the lotto than have this code be needed.

Legend

L3 is the only ps4 button I'm not currently using, yet I'm actually really impressed with how well everything maps. Jumping stuff is with L1 R1, shooting stuff is L2 R2, weapon select is the 4 face buttons, etc.

NOw if only I could decrease the learning curve.

Legend

Unity 2017.1's release notes talked a lot about stat logging and it inspired me to work on that for the day.

Well you remember how a short bit ago I talked about how I uncut the theater feature because my network system made it near trivial? Well that's made this near trivial too! I'm already recording full gameplay matches so it'd be stupid not to use them for stats. The system can just parse through them to get details.

If a player deletes a recording to save memory or for another reason, at that point the recording can be condensed into just the basic numbers and dealt with traditionally. Even if I set this up to happen instantly after every match, it's still preferable over wasting resources on tracking the stats during a match.

(I spent most of the day working on another solution and scraped it all. I'm a dork for not realising the theater method sooner)

Legend

Woohoo!

I now have PSN actually working. Not just tests, but actually finding a lobby and playing a match through the PlayStation Network. That's been a huge mess I've struggled learning for years.

SWORDF1SH

Woohoo!

I now have PSN actually working. Not just tests, but actually finding a lobby and playing a match through the PlayStation Network. That's been a huge mess I've struggled learning for years.
;D judging by the "Woohoo!", it sounds like a huge relief to finally get it working.

Go Up