Nintendo Community Thread

Started by Legend, Jul 26, 2014, 04:03 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

DerNebel

That's rough, I had amazon cancel on me like that once before. It was MW3 and I missed out on playing launch day with all my friends and everybody was talking about it at school the next day. I was very sad.
Eh, actually I won't be playing for a couple weeks. Still haven't close to finished Fire Emblem and then FFVIII comes next week, which has priority.

It's just annoying.  ::)

Xevross

Sep 03, 2019, 10:42 PM Last Edit: Sep 03, 2019, 10:44 PM by Xevross
Astral Chain ain't underrated like I said it might be, the ending is very weird in many ways and I wasn't a fan of the boss fight towards the end. Story seemed exciting and promising half way through but then it becomes a full on anime mess in the worst way. Still love the combat system but it doesn't shine in harder boss fights which really disrupt your flow.

Others have said on Era and I can't agree more that the game has a little bit of an identity crisis. The files (chapters) have stuff you can easily miss or can't even do first time round to encourage replaying, but the first half of most of the files is much slower paced gameplay. A lot of stuff like just walking around and talking to loads of people, doing weird minigames or classic shaming quests like finding objects for someone, which are mostly fine* the first time through but really put me off the thought of replaying. Thankfully though it seems your best score for each red case is saved so you don't have to do optional stuff again in your replay, which makes it not so bad. Still though it sometimes wants to be a full on action game and sometimes wants more RPG elements and it clashes a bit, which means it doesn't fully excel in either area.

* I say mostly fine because in some files the first half is just super boring/ annoying. File 8 is the worst offender, with having lots of red cases (required for good overall file rating) being awful mini games. There's a few minigames where you have to use gyro to balance boxes which is truly awful, for example.

Anyway, that's most of my gripes with the game. I was hoping I'd super love the game and half way through I thought I might but in the end I agree with the 87/100 metascore.

Dr. Pezus

Astral Chain ain't underrated like I said it might be, the ending is very weird in many ways and I wasn't a fan of the boss fight towards the end. Story seemed exciting and promising half way through but then it becomes a full on anime mess in the worst way. Still love the combat system but it doesn't shine in harder boss fights which really disrupt your flow.

Others have said on Era and I can't agree more that the game has a little bit of an identity crisis. The files (chapters) have stuff you can easily miss or can't even do first time round to encourage replaying, but the first half of most of the files is much slower paced gameplay. A lot of stuff like just walking around and talking to loads of people, doing weird minigames or classic shaming quests like finding objects for someone, which are mostly fine* the first time through but really put me off the thought of replaying. Thankfully though it seems your best score for each red case is saved so you don't have to do optional stuff again in your replay, which makes it not so bad. Still though it sometimes wants to be a full on action game and sometimes wants more RPG elements and it clashes a bit, which means it doesn't fully excel in either area.

* I say mostly fine because in some files the first half is just super boring/ annoying. File 8 is the worst offender, with having lots of red cases (required for good overall file rating) being awful mini games. There's a few minigames where you have to use gyro to balance boxes which is truly awful, for example.

Anyway, that's most of my gripes with the game. I was hoping I'd super love the game and half way through I thought I might but in the end I agree with the 87/100 metascore.
It's 88 tho  ;)

Xevross

It's 88 tho  ;)
Fine, openscore. Doesn't have the same ring to it.

Legend

kitler53

my take is this looks like nintendo's attempt to re-bottle wii-fit.   personally i'll never forgive them for selling me that shame but i expect it will sell at least 3 million.  

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

Legend

my take is this looks like nintendo's attempt to re-bottle wii-fit.   personally i'll never forgive them for selling me that shame but i expect it will sell at least 3 million.  
That's really dumb looking.

Looks cheap though. Could just be a single game+expansions like Labo instead of something the company is putting a lot of effort into.

kitler53

well here it is,.. imo probably even worse then I expected.  I get the idea that you want to make fitness "fun" but this looks a bit to fitness focuses to attract a gamer and a little too gamey to attract a fitness casual.  maybe i'm wrong but i just can't see my "mom" wanting to play a fitness RPG and she played wii fit for quite a few years.

and not really a game critique but dang, that dude in the video comes off soooo creepy.

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

Xevross

Thanks Nintendo, I love it. I'll take two.

Legend

well here it is,.. imo probably even worse then I expected.  I get the idea that you want to make fitness "fun" but this looks a bit to fitness focuses to attract a gamer and a little too gamey to attract a fitness casual.  maybe i'm wrong but i just can't see my "mom" wanting to play a fitness RPG and she played wii fit for quite a few years.

and not really a game critique but dang, that dude in the video comes off soooo creepy.
It's odd. Would have been fine if it was just the ring, but the leg strap makes it less approachable than wii fit. Is Nintendo trying to make Switch into a Wii 2.0? First labo and now this, both fine things to exist, but it's interesting they're seemingly chasing that market again.

Comment on youtube summed it up. "I honestly can't tell if these two are supposed to be this enthusiastic or they're just mocking cheesy ads."

Xevross

It's odd. Would have been fine if it was just the ring, but the leg strap makes it less approachable than wii fit. Is Nintendo trying to make Switch into a Wii 2.0? First labo and now this, both fine things to exist, but it's interesting they're seemingly chasing that market again.

Comment on youtube summed it up. "I honestly can't tell if these two are supposed to be this enthusiastic or they're just mocking cheesy ads."
They're making cool quirky stuff again which is great imo. People who don't like this can simply just ignore it.

Yeah the two people are hilarious, I hope it was on purpose but something tells me its not.

Xevross

The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch Reviews - OpenCritic

87. Great reviews, a bit better than I was expecting. Looking forward to experiencing this for the first time tomorrow!

PS why doesn't this thread have a logo like the PS and Xbox ones?

Dr. Pezus

87. Great reviews, a bit better than I was expecting. Looking forward to experiencing this for the first time tomorrow!

Oooh

Legend

Nintendo doesn't have an icon in the same vein as the PS Logo or the Xbox logo, so originally I used the background theme to spice up the thread. But now we have a Nintendo icon so yeah I'll switch to that too.

After BOTW I want to get into Zelda games. Twilight Princess is the only one I've touched. Maybe I should get this one.

Xevross

So some people consider this one of the best games ever huh? I gotta say that scouring the map to find the exact spot the game wants you to go to with basically no hints over and over isn't exactly riveting. I guess this is just the way games were made back then, but dang this kinda sucks.

Already googled where to find something at least 4 times, I can't be arsed wasting my time with all this shame. Good game apart from that though. Done 4 of the dungeon things so far and I'm enjoying my time with it but it really doesn't feel worth $60.

Guess I'll see how the rest of the game goes.

Go Up