Avengers: Endgame Discussion - Open Spoilers - DO NOT ENTER UNTIL WATCHING MOVIE

Started by nnodley, Apr 26, 2019, 09:10 PM

previous topic - next topic

Legend

Pretty great mostly! Was old marvel up till that final dumb fight. End credits dropped it 1 whole point.

the-pi-guy

Pretty great mostly! Was old marvel up till that final dumb fight. End credits dropped it 1 whole point.
What did you dislike about the fight?  

Legend

What did you dislike about the fight?  
Here's my full movie rundown.

Loved that they killed Thanos super early and jumped forward 5 years. That was completely unexpected and really made this movie feel like it wouldn't be formulaic.

Time travel plot was awesome too. What a brilliant way to bring in movies from the past and make this film have lots of nostalgia without slowing down the plot. Was also a really cool way to bring back Thanos. It felt like a natural consequence of their actions instead of it just being the movie saying "but people want more Thanos."

Humour was also really on point. Ant man was awesome having a lead role. Again it was another smart way to include recaps in the movie without slowing down the plot.

Hulk was kinda dumb but easy to accept. The writers didn't want to deal with Hulk so they just merged him into a less complicated character lol.

Black Widow dieing was mostly well done. They did a good job making both fight to be the one who died. Kinda dumb and forced though. They maybe should have somewhat known how it was set up and it felt like they just wanted to kill her off for reasons. Also no one cared about Nebula lol.

Thanos showing up on Earth was great. It was just so dumb once all the other people showed up to make it a bore fest. Scene after scene after scene of a cocky hero having their turn on camera. I was thinking about it and the death of Marvel imo kinda correlates to when their movies started being about heros killing hordes of irrelevant enemies. Anyway it was also dumb how Pepper Pots showed up. At first I thought it was Stark's daughter from the future or something but no, it was just normal Pepper from that timeline that decided to wear a suit for the first time. (and then they included her in the female superhero shot)

Thanos trying to get the infinity stones was cool. I liked how Strange communicated with Tony and I loved Tony's line. That specific ending to the fight was pretty great. Kinda made it obvious that they only had Pepper there to show Tony dying though.

Tony's funeral was weird. On its own it'd be fine but the movie just killed Black Widow. No one cared about her after 10 seconds of being sad.

Captain America becoming old was lame. Cool that they wanted to give him a life with Carter but handled in a dumb way. It kinda felt like the movie just phoned in the ending because they wanted to set some things up. End credits were supper dorky with every single person having a portrait as if this was an Oscar film. Including the signatures of the main actors just took it way over the top as if it was a parody.

(time travel was fine imo since the franchise already jumped that shark long ago. Nothing in these movies has been permanent for years)

((I have to return to just how dumb the ending was in regards to future movies. 50% of all life has been missing for 5 years and yet they act like everything is fine!?!? Society had nearly fallen apart. Millions would have died for one reason or another during those 5 years. All the returning people will starve and struggle to bump back up the economy to its former status. It's not a super happy ending yet future movies will just call it "the incident 2.0" with nothing really affected. The movie was awesome and dark in the beginning which gave me false hope that it'd deal with things like this.))

Overall I'd say 8/10. Definitely the best Avengers movie.

Xevross

Here's my full movie rundown.

Loved that they killed Thanos super early and jumped forward 5 years. That was completely unexpected and really made this movie feel like it wouldn't be formulaic.

Time travel plot was awesome too. What a brilliant way to bring in movies from the past and make this film have lots of nostalgia without slowing down the plot. Was also a really cool way to bring back Thanos. It felt like a natural consequence of their actions instead of it just being the movie saying "but people want more Thanos."

Humour was also really on point. Ant man was awesome having a lead role. Again it was another smart way to include recaps in the movie without slowing down the plot.

Hulk was kinda dumb but easy to accept. The writers didn't want to deal with Hulk so they just merged him into a less complicated character lol.

Black Widow dieing was mostly well done. They did a good job making both fight to be the one who died. Kinda dumb and forced though. They maybe should have somewhat known how it was set up and it felt like they just wanted to kill her off for reasons. Also no one cared about Nebula lol.

Thanos showing up on Earth was great. It was just so dumb once all the other people showed up to make it a bore fest. Scene after scene after scene of a cocky hero having their turn on camera. I was thinking about it and the death of Marvel imo kinda correlates to when their movies started being about heros killing hordes of irrelevant enemies. Anyway it was also dumb how Pepper Pots showed up. At first I thought it was Stark's daughter from the future or something but no, it was just normal Pepper from that timeline that decided to wear a suit for the first time. (and then they included her in the female superhero shot)

Thanos trying to get the infinity stones was cool. I liked how Strange communicated with Tony and I loved Tony's line. That specific ending to the fight was pretty great. Kinda made it obvious that they only had Pepper there to show Tony dying though.

Tony's funeral was weird. On its own it'd be fine but the movie just killed Black Widow. No one cared about her after 10 seconds of being sad.

Captain America becoming old was lame. Cool that they wanted to give him a life with Carter but handled in a dumb way. It kinda felt like the movie just phoned in the ending because they wanted to set some things up. End credits were supper dorky with every single person having a portrait as if this was an Oscar film. Including the signatures of the main actors just took it way over the top as if it was a parody.

(time travel was fine imo since the franchise already jumped that shark long ago. Nothing in these movies has been permanent for years)

((I have to return to just how dumb the ending was in regards to future movies. 50% of all life has been missing for 5 years and yet they act like everything is fine!?!? Society had nearly fallen apart. Millions would have died for one reason or another during those 5 years. All the returning people will starve and struggle to bump back up the economy to its former status. It's not a super happy ending yet future movies will just call it "the incident 2.0" with nothing really affected. The movie was awesome and dark in the beginning which gave me false hope that it'd deal with things like this.))

Overall I'd say 8/10. Definitely the best Avengers movie.
Hulk is weird, not sure if it was writers not knowing what to do but I was okay with it. Hulk and Bruce had shame to work out after IW and I guess in the 5 year jump they decided to merge together like that. Brulk wasn't used in a great way though.

Kind of agree with the end fight, most of it was just throw away CGI fest. The fight on titan was the best part of IW by far, and they recaptured that with Iron Man, Cap and Thor fighting thanos at the start but that didn't last very long.

It was very much 'everyone is here' so Pepper showing up makes sense, although it'd be cool if there was some build up.

Tony's funeral was great, black widow getting one makes sense since she's supposed to be a spy acting in the shadows. They mourned her before and that's fine, I appreciated it more on second viewing.

And yeah the snapped people suddenly appearing again is gonna fudge society up as much as them suddenly disappearing in the first place, I hope they deal with that in future movies.

the-pi-guy

>Anyway it was also dumb how Pepper Pots showed up

>On its own it'd be fine but the movie just killed Black Widow

I know what you mean here.

>50% of all life has been missing for 5 years and yet they act like everything is fine!?!? Society had nearly fallen apart.

How dare you ignore the all powerful snap!  
It fixes everything just like that *snaps*

I wonder what the future holds.  
How do you top a movie that wiped out half of all life with iron Man, Thor, Captain America, etc?  

Dr. Pezus

May 05, 2019, 12:46 AM Last Edit: May 05, 2019, 12:50 AM by Dr. Pezus
There were so many great moments.

- Cap using mjolnir
-America's dog
-Tony seeing his dad
-Cap getting a life
And a lot more.  

I'm disappointed though that Tony dies.  I think it was kind of expected, but still hard.

I feel like it's gotten a lot harder being a dad now.  Thinking about Tony's daughter.  
I thought this was a great scene because I wasn't sure how it was going to go.  

Was Hawkeye going to die, kind of redeeming himself, or was Natasha going to die, allowing Hawkeye to see his family?  

I feel like the time travel stuff is going to bother Legend.  

But I thought it was fine.  

Well I loved what they did with it.  
Tell me about it! I get hit hard by most sad scenes involving kids now but before I was stone cold most of the time lulz

Yeah, america's dog was so funny. Tony meeting Howard is one of my disappointments, not because it was bad but because I think it could have been so much more impactful. Thor meeting Frigga was miles better in comparison, emotionally. Cap getting a life is so amazing, I love it. He deserved that dance and it makes complete sense he did that. Great send-off for my favourite OG Avenger :D

BW dying was a great scene but I thought it needed more emotional buildup, if you had all BW films fresh in your mind (well at least Avengers, Ultron, IW, Cap 2 and 3) then you feel the emotion but imo there wasn't enough in the film. Tony had his daughter being brought up and then the emotional death with Spidey and Pepper looking over him, but imo Nat and Clint should have had a touching conversation about their past just before it, something like that.

Anyway I basically explained my two biggest gripes with the film there.

One of my disappointments after first viewing which stopped me from loving it was time travel, not usually a fan of time travel stories as they can be confusing or overcomplicate things. But the more I read and think about this one the more I like it, second viewing helped a lot too. The time travel rules make much more sense than how most other films do it, and it wasn't just going to the past for the sake of it and for the plot, they used the past to create so many amazing moments with characters and some hilarious moments as well, like America's dog.

I've gone from lukewarm on the time travel and wishing they did it another way to loving the time travel and I'm so glad they did it. Only problem is 2014 Thanos turning up was kind of random and he didn't get much buildup as a villain, but whatever. This was a story about the Avengers and the world, rather than a good guy bad guy classic comic book story. Time travel should have been explained better though, lots of people are confused by it which is not something that should be happening. All they needed to was explicitly say that going to the past creates an alternate timeline with a different future, and anything you do affects the future of that timeline, not our own.

The kind of did when Bruce was stealing the time stone

Go Up