Avengers: Endgame Discussion - Open Spoilers - DO NOT ENTER UNTIL WATCHING MOVIE

Started by nnodley, Apr 26, 2019, 09:10 PM

previous topic - next topic

nnodley

Xevross

:o

Cap using Mjolnir was one of the greatest moments of my entire life ;D

As soon as the screen panned to Mjolnir I had a feeling about what was coming and I was so pumped. First time ever I've experienced an audience clapping in the cinema, cheers were so loud it was amazing. Both times I went that bit was applauded as well, so so rare for a UK audience to clap in the cinema. Amazing. That moment, Spidey reappearing and "Avengers... assemble" got the biggest cheers and were just brilliant moments. Then only 20 minutes later you could hear a pin drop, well except for multiple people sobbing. Almost cried for the first time in cinema on my first viewing, and then second time it got me.

nnodley

That whole sequence from everyone arriving was just stunning.   Tony's death was heart-wrenching.  Cap got the ending he always deserved.

And fudgy Thor and Quill are hilarious.   Thor better be in guardians 3

Personally thought the 3 hours flew by.

Xevross

That whole sequence from everyone arriving was just stunning.   Tony's death was heart-wrenching.  Cap got the ending he always deserved.

And fudgy Thor and Quill are hilarious.   Thor better be in guardians 3

Personally thought the 3 hours flew by.
Yeah, my only problem with that sequence is it wasn't long enough for me. The fight didn't feel quite as incredible as the fight at the end of IW, but on second viewing I realised how perfect it was. They took out every major player and made it so that Tony had to do what he did, he had to sacrifice himself and he did it. "I am Iron Man" ... can't think of any better way of handling that moment.

Yeah that ending scene of Thor and Quill was amazing, Guardians 3 with Thor in and James Gunn as director is going to be phenomenal, I'm so pumped.

Well for me the pacing was way off and it felt particularly bad after IW completely nailed pacing, but they had to do it they way they did to end the 22 film saga so perfectly. They sacrificed some quality as a standalone film to make it a perfect finale to the OG Avenger's story, and I really appreciated that second time around.

I'm not a fan of time travel plots like this but the more I think about it the more okay I am with this one. They explain the rules well and they used the time travel to get in some amazing moments for the characters. Thor talking to Frigga in particular was so touching. And "That is America's dog" was the funniest thing in the whole film ;D

Xevross

What did y'all think of Natasha's sacrifice?

nnodley

Hmm, I thought it was really well done scene, but I don't know if I feel like she or Clint were the best characters for that moment.   It definitely feels in-character for both of them though.

Cute Pikachu

Apr 28, 2019, 01:41 PM Last Edit: Apr 28, 2019, 01:48 PM by Cute Pikachu
As someone who has read comics for 14 years and saw iron man opening weekend when I was 7. It was fantastic. Climax battle was hype as shame

I fudgy CRIED YALL
IT WAS A 5 YEAR OLD's DREAM COME TRUE
The Vizioneck Nintendo Fanboy!

Switch Software Sales Guide:
http://vizioneck.com/forum/index.php?topic=5895.msg218699#new

the-pi-guy

There were so many great moments.

- Cap using mjolnir
-America's dog
-Tony seeing his dad
-Cap getting a life
And a lot more. 

I'm disappointed though that Tony dies.  I think it was kind of expected, but still hard.

I feel like it's gotten a lot harder being a dad now.  Thinking about Tony's daughter. 

I thought this was a great scene because I wasn't sure how it was going to go. 

Was Hawkeye going to die, kind of redeeming himself, or was Natasha going to die, allowing Hawkeye to see his family? 
I'm not a fan of time travel plots like this but the more I think about it the more okay I am with this one. They explain the rules well and they used the time travel to get in some amazing moments for the characters. Thor talking to Frigga in particular was so touching. And "That is America's dog" was the funniest thing in the whole film ;D
I feel like the time travel stuff is going to bother Legend. 

But I thought it was fine. 

Well I loved what they did with it. 

Xevross

Apr 28, 2019, 09:16 PM Last Edit: Apr 28, 2019, 09:21 PM by Xevross
There were so many great moments.

- Cap using mjolnir
-America's dog
-Tony seeing his dad
-Cap getting a life
And a lot more. 

I'm disappointed though that Tony dies.  I think it was kind of expected, but still hard.

I feel like it's gotten a lot harder being a dad now.  Thinking about Tony's daughter. 
I thought this was a great scene because I wasn't sure how it was going to go. 

Was Hawkeye going to die, kind of redeeming himself, or was Natasha going to die, allowing Hawkeye to see his family? 

I feel like the time travel stuff is going to bother Legend. 

But I thought it was fine. 

Well I loved what they did with it. 
Yeah, america's dog was so funny. Tony meeting Howard is one of my disappointments, not because it was bad but because I think it could have been so much more impactful. Thor meeting Frigga was miles better in comparison, emotionally. Cap getting a life is so amazing, I love it. He deserved that dance and it makes complete sense he did that. Great send-off for my favourite OG Avenger :D

BW dying was a great scene but I thought it needed more emotional buildup, if you had all BW films fresh in your mind (well at least Avengers, Ultron, IW, Cap 2 and 3) then you feel the emotion but imo there wasn't enough in the film. Tony had his daughter being brought up and then the emotional death with Spidey and Pepper looking over him, but imo Nat and Clint should have had a touching conversation about their past just before it, something like that.

Anyway I basically explained my two biggest gripes with the film there.

One of my disappointments after first viewing which stopped me from loving it was time travel, not usually a fan of time travel stories as they can be confusing or overcomplicate things. But the more I read and think about this one the more I like it, second viewing helped a lot too. The time travel rules make much more sense than how most other films do it, and it wasn't just going to the past for the sake of it and for the plot, they used the past to create so many amazing moments with characters and some hilarious moments as well, like America's dog.

I've gone from lukewarm on the time travel and wishing they did it another way to loving the time travel and I'm so glad they did it. Only problem is 2014 Thanos turning up was kind of random and he didn't get much buildup as a villain, but whatever. This was a story about the Avengers and the world, rather than a good guy bad guy classic comic book story. Time travel should have been explained better though, lots of people are confused by it which is not something that should be happening. All they needed to was explicitly say that going to the past creates an alternate timeline with a different future, and anything you do affects the future of that timeline, not our own.

the-pi-guy

Apr 28, 2019, 09:21 PM Last Edit: Apr 28, 2019, 09:29 PM by the-pi-guy
I'll say that it's probably one of the most impressive movies ever made.  

The way it ties everything together, and the amazing moments and the amazing scenes.  

It is an amazing culmination of 21 movies made over the past decade.

Yeah, america's dog was so funny. Tony meeting Howard is one of my disappointments, not because it was bad but because I think it could have been so much more impactful. Thor meeting Frigga was miles better in comparison, emotionally.

They made some funny awkward moments out of Tony meeting his dad.  
I think it probably made it less impactful that Howard didn't know, and that it was fairly short.  So they couldn't really connect that much.  At the end Tony was just some random tired scientist to Howard.  

The big emotional part was them connecting over having kids.  Which I felt.  

BW dying was a great scene but I thought it needed more emotional buildup, if you had all BW films fresh in your mind
Agreed.

One of my disappointments after first viewing which stopped me from loving it was time travel, not usually a fan of time travel stories as they can be confusing or overcomplicate things. But the more I read and think about this one the more I like it, second viewing helped a lot too. The time travel rules make much more sense than how most other films do it, and it wasn't just going to the past for the sake of it and for the plot, they used the past to create so many amazing moments with characters and some hilarious moments as well, like America's dog.

I will have to watch it again to really understand.  

Time travel, I was skeptical at first.  By the end I was glad though.  

the-pi-guy

How does Cap staying behind work?

And what do people think of Tony dying?  

nnodley

The cap thing is a weird thing because they say that they can't go back and change the future, so him going back to the past would have created an alternate timeline.  Plus he would have lived through the snap twice as well.  Once as young cap and once as old cap.  

fudgy time travel man!!

Xevross

Apr 29, 2019, 08:55 PM Last Edit: Apr 29, 2019, 08:57 PM by Xevross

Yeah what nnod said it creates an alternate timeline. I never thought about the snap happening again though, I think what happened was he waited until Peggy died in the alternate timeline (which was before the snap) then returned to the main timeline just before he left (after the final battle) so he wouldn't have had to live through the snap again. Only difference in that timeline is Steve is Peggy's wife instead of someone else, which shouldn't change too much.

The timeline where Loki disappeared with the tesseract and the one where Thanos and his army just disappeared are the whacky timelines, wonder if we'll see them again.

Everyone loves Tony dying, its the perfect send off :P

nnodley

Yeah what nnod said it creates an alternate timeline. I never thought about the snap happening again though, I think what happened was he waited until Peggy died in the alternate timeline (which was before the snap) then returned to the main timeline just before he left (after the final battle) so he wouldn't have had to live through the snap again. Only difference in that timeline is Steve is Peggy's wife instead of someone else, which shouldn't change too much.

The timeline where Loki disappeared with the tesseract and the one where Thanos and his army just disappeared are the whacky timelines, wonder if we'll see them again.

Everyone loves Tony dying, its the perfect send off :P
I hope we see more of those timelines.  There is always the possibility of them merging timelines because of some sort of fuckery.

Loki's Disney+ show will either be his new timeline or will show more of his past however many hundreds of years he was alive before the events of the MCU that we have seen already.

the-pi-guy

Did Legend see the movie?