Where did Sony start going right?

Viewing single post

Started by the-pi-guy, Jan 10, 2021, 03:46 PM

previous topic - next topic

Legend

mark cerny.  kaz harai.  shuhei yoshida.  neil drunkmann.

their technology, business, and development leadership changed playstation's fortunes for the better.   with mark and neil still in power i think ps5 is still going to do well but with kaz gone and shuhei in a more minor role i think we all know where some of the more recent business blunders are to be blamed.  things like raising the prices to $70 after reporting record profits.  
Herman Hulst deserves huge credit. He organised guerrilla into a power house. KZ2 and KZ3 were profitable and high quality exclusives that helped repair the PS3s image and PSs exlcusive lineup.

KZ shadowfall was a big part of PS4s success (relatively speaking). It was essential for its marketing. The moment KZ was shown next gen kicked off.

And the  we got Horizon. It was the game that showed Sony IP outside if ND games can do blockbuster hits. Horizon is twice as big as any GoW game before the 2018 one. Let that sink in. It showed Sony that their first party IP can be mega successful if they push them enough.

And now Horizon 2 is the most anticipated PS5 game, and again it was a GG that was the graphical showcase for PS5.

The guy has done wonders for GG and brought them up to a prestigious studio. They are still growing, and they arent at the level of ND or rockstar yet. But they can reach there IMO if they keep pushing it.
I agree with both posts. With Hulst being in charge of PlayStation Studios, will that offset the departures?

I also think PS4 was a rising tide. Uncharted 3 for example was a huge release for Sony. They advertised it everywhere and it went head to head with Skyrim's release just 10 days later. The difference between it and Uncharted 4 is relatively small yet the difference in sales is huge.