How's School?

Started by Legend, Aug 26, 2014, 12:55 AM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

nnodley

So I decided against going back for my masters as of now.  I might still do a masters later on all online(if able) while working a job.  Mostly if I get tired of the industry(not terribly likely but who never know), especially if crunch time doesn't get better and it gets tiring, but would be nice if crunch gets better at all or most dev studios.   Not to mention I really didn't want to do anymore classes that take away from me working full time on my environments/props

However I do have another plan in mind that if it goes as planned, I should get into the industry within the next year.  So I'm gonna apply, apply, apply starting now until at least January.  If I don't get any jobs by then i'm thinking I am going to apply to Gnomon for either the March term or the June term in California and while it's super expensive, most people don't actually finish because they get a job before they have a chance too.  So I'm hoping I can take a term or two and get a connection into a job after that.

the-pi-guy

Abstract Algebra: Really fun.  We are given like 1 problem every day, that is very different from most things I've ever had to solve.  Really fun math class. One of the most fun math classes I've ever had.  

Intro to Modern Physics: Really fun. Some of the concepts are a little hard to understand thus far.   Seem to be doing really good in the class, but I haven't really felt like I've been getting it.  

PDE: A typical math class, frankly.  Really cool to see how a lot of the math behind physics works out.  Like the wave equation and stuff.  

Japanese: Doing really well in this class.  Can't wait to be done though.  Just really not a fan of talking to other people.  Really enjoying learning the language though.  Really want to continue that for a long time.  

Assembly: We are only now getting into things that I didn't do last semester.  But it's still stuff I know pretty well.  Converting number bases to other ones.  But, looks like the class is finally starting to ramp up just a little bit.  Hopefully this stays as my "free" class where I don't have to do anything outside class.  

Discrete Structures:  Really tough.  It's very different from any kind of math I've done before.  It also really sucks that I'm trying to learn it on my own.  :P  I am not really sure why I thought this was a good idea....  Hopefully it goes well.  

nnodley

Put in a request for an appointment with an advisor at Gnomon!  Gonna hopefully get some feedback on my portfolio and what I should focus on making sure I have in it to ensure acceptance.  Also figure out the best program for me to enroll into and whether I do the spring or summer term for start date.   Most likely I will try spring.  

Also gonna start finding more smaller studios to send my stuff too.  i've been focusing on bigger studios too much and I don't think I am quite ready for a AAA studio yet.  

So if anyone finds or knows of smaller studios send their name and website my way.  Even if they are not hiring I'm just gonna send my stuff anyway and see what happens.   Hope to hit 100 apps all together by end of January or so if I don't get anything by then.  So far I'm at 30 and have had absolutely zero feedback even from the ones I sent follow ups too.  Not to mention I'm not even getting considered for junior positions so I'm getting discouraged a lot.

Mmm_fish_tacos

This link will get you in touch with the owner of vizioneck. i hear the pay is pretty bad, but time lines dont matter. So theres plenty of time to practice your craft.

Login

;D

the-pi-guy

I have one more day of classes.  
Very excited.

Xevross

I have one more day of classes.  
Very excited.
Same!

Xevross

Cute Pikachu

On christmas Break now.
Ho ho ho!
The Vizioneck Nintendo Fanboy!

Switch Software Sales Guide:
http://vizioneck.com/forum/index.php?topic=5895.msg218699#new

the-pi-guy

I have 5 more hours. :P

the-pi-guy

It is done.  

Xevross

nnodley

Even though its not school, I'm trying to get some of my current projects for my portfolio done so I can chill and relax for the next week to week and a half.  Only problem is I feel I should be doing stuff at all times, but it's hard when it's the holidays and I'm usually working at home almost everyday and only really leave to go work out for a couple hours and the occasional eating out.

Dr. Pezus

Work for Christmas

the-pi-guy

I got 2 A's, 3 B's and 1 C+.

Abstract Algebra (B) - Really interesting class.  I didn't really spend as much time as I would have liked on this class.  The teacher was pretty nice, but he wasn't very organized.  Had class Monday, Wednesday and Friday.  There were times he would post an assignment on Tuesday, that were due in class on Wednesday... Not very great for people who are taking lots of classes or working a lot...  But really interesting class, was a lot of really basic math stuff like sets. Basically no calculation, all theory.  

Discrete Mathematics (B) - Took this class as an independent study.  Didn't spend very much time on this class, at all.  Basically I did the assignments and that was basically how I learned all the material.  Was a tough class, and a lot of people who were actually in class did much worse than I did.... Actually curved my grade up from a C+.

Partial Differential Equation (C+) - This class  I really messed up on.  Based on what I heard other students say, they really struggled with this one too.  I personally really messed up with homework.  There were like 5 assignments this semester, and 3 of them were barely half finished.  This one is on me.  I didn't do super great on the first 2 tests either.  Got a 90% on the final though.  So not too bad.  I didn't really care too much about this class, and it ended up being the last thing I worked on, every single time. So I often didn't finish everything.  

Assembly (B) - This one is a bit tricky.  The material wasn't too bad, the teacher wasn't a very good teacher.  It's not very easy to follow his organization.  There was a lecture, where he spent more time talking about chips would often have drawing on them, than he did talking about some of the material that actually ended up being on the test.  All in all, I'm okay with my grade here.  

Modern Physics (A) - Super awesome class, and super awesome teacher.  Was a super nice teacher. Really excited to have him next semester as well.  Definitely planning on doing a triple major.  

Japanese 1 (A) - Had a lot of fun.  Really excited to keep learning.  But I don't plan to take a Japanese class again soon, but learning on my own from here on for a little while.  Had a lot of fun.  Japanese is a really cool language.

Next semester I plan to take:
-Topology
-Introductory Physics II
-Classical Mechanics
-Physics Lab I
-Artificial Intelligence
-Computer Theory

the-pi-guy

Next semester I plan to take:
-Topology
-Introductory Physics II
-Classical Mechanics
-Physics Lab I
-Artificial Intelligence
-Computer Theory
It went great.  

I've been really excited.  Getting to the end of my programs, ever so slowly, but surely.
7 physics classes left after next semester.
3 math classes left.
7 CS classes left.

Go Up