TV show preservation is terrible

Started by the-pi-guy, Sep 25, 2022, 09:18 PM

previous topic - next topic

the-pi-guy

Thread inspired by this:

But it's something that I've been complaining about for a while. A lot of Netflix shows don't get released on DVD. Some of the big ones do. Stranger Things for example. But this isn't a problem exclusive to Netflix. It's something that is common by all production companies. It sometimes even affects bigger TV shows. Malcolm in the Middle never got released in the US. You can't buy it anywhere.

There are some Disney shows that are only available on iTunes/Some other digital distribution services. That's okay I think. But there are so many exceptions.

It sucks a lot that there are so many TV shows that are basically impossible to get legally.

BananaKing

And funnily enough, this is the thing people liked about the idea of subscriptions in the first place. One platform where you can find all the old shows.

Instead if netflix releasing a ton of shame shows. Release less, but better quality ones, and have all the old fan favourites, and less known shows in your backlog

Legend

Up till somewhat recently, on demand access to movies/tv shows was kinda funky. Disney for example had the Disney vault where they'd lock movies away for a decade to build up demand for home releases.

Things are slowly changing but I think it'll still be another decade or two before every bit of content is trivially accessible indefinitely.

kitler53

netflix will probably be the worst of the bunch.  

i dunno even why they do what the do because it seems like bad business.   but they really seem content thinking the lifespan of a show is only a few weeks.   seems odd to me that they actually have a pretty sizeable backlog of really good content that they have no respect for with the why they present content to users.   everything is about "new" and "trending".  they even make navigating my "watchlist" pretty bad.   i have probably a couple hundred shows tagged to try and keep them falling into the abyss but when i navigate my list they only present me a "featured" view of the top 100.   

...that's probably my biggest grip about netflix.   still a better problem then apple+ for instance where apparently their entire catalog is ~20 shows.  i'm grateful the free trial allows me to watch ted lasso but this service is getting dumped 100%.   a terrible value even at it's really low price point.

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

BananaKing

Wait is this a netflix show? Why are they removing it if its theirs?

kitler53

not a netflix original i don't think.  adult swim right?   just a show that is also on netflix.

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

the-pi-guy

It's not Netflix's show. It's Adult Swim/Warner Bros.  But Netflix has the streaming rights outside of the US from what it looks like.