Next Gen Playstation Specs Revealed By Mark Cerny

Viewing single post

Started by Xevross, Apr 16, 2019, 01:28 PM

previous topic - next topic

the-pi-guy

Apr 17, 2019, 03:41 PM Last Edit: Apr 23, 2020, 02:49 PM by the-pi-guy
Spoiler for First Wired:
<br><a href="https://www.wired.com/story/exclusive-sony-next-gen-console/" class="bbc_link">https://www.wired.com/story/exclusive-sony-next-gen-console/</a><br><br><div class="quoteheader">Quote</div><blockquote class="bbc_standard_quote">PlayStation's next-generation console ticks all those boxes, starting with an AMD chip at the heart of the device. (Warning: some alphabet soup follows.) The CPU is based on the third generation of AMD's Ryzen line and contains eight cores of the company's new 7nm Zen 2 microarchitecture. The GPU, a custom variant of Radeon's Navi family, will support ray tracing, a technique that models the travel of light to simulate complex interactions in 3D environments. While ray tracing is a staple of Hollywood visual effects and is beginning to worm its way into high-end processors and Nvidia&#39;s recently announced RTX line, no game console has been able to manage it. Yet.<br></blockquote><div class="quotefooter"></div><div class="quoteheader">Quote</div><blockquote class="bbc_standard_quote">The AMD chip also includes a custom unit for 3D audio that Cerny thinks will redefine what sound can do in a videogame<br></blockquote><div class="quotefooter"></div><div class="quoteheader">Quote</div><blockquote class="bbc_standard_quote">"I won&#39;t go into the details of our VR strategy today," he says, "beyond saying that VR is very important to us and that the current PSVR headset is compatible with the new console."<br></blockquote><div class="quotefooter"></div><div class="quoteheader">Quote</div><blockquote class="bbc_standard_quote">At the moment, Sony won't cop to exact details about the SSD--who makes it, whether it utilizes the new PCIe 4.0 standard--but Cerny claims that it has a raw bandwidth higher than any SSD available for PCs. That's not all. "The raw read speed is important," Cerny says, "but so are the details of the I/O [input-output] mechanisms and the software stack that we put on top of them. I got a PlayStation 4 Pro and then I put in a SSD that cost as much as the PlayStation 4 Pro--it might be one-third faster.&quot; As opposed to 19 times faster for the next-gen console, judging from the fast-travel demo.<br></blockquote><div class="quotefooter"></div>