General Discussion Thread

Started by Dr. Pezus, May 16, 2014, 06:00 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Legend

I really like debunking websites.  

Snopes is a big famous one for politics.  

skeptical science is another I've found.  It does a lot of climate denial debunking. It goes into scientific explanations with different levels of explanations.

I really wish there was an antivaxxer debunking site.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCS_H_4AmsqC705DObesZIIg

Not a huge channel but covers a lot of antivaxxer, homeopathic, and gmo stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEOXxzW2vU0P-0THehuIIeg

Great channel covering viral videos. Doesn't just state that things are fake, but instead recreates shots to show the exact way they were faked. Really high quality too, like this

the-pi-guy

I feel like the new tiny Roku's are a little too small.  

It just feels a little ridiculous when the box won't lay flat because the HDMI cord is bent, and the device is too light to affect it.  

the-pi-guy

One of the great miracles of the internet. (see the like/dislikes).

Legend

I liked the video way back when to do my duty. Cool that it's still balanced.

Xevross

Lol that's neat, I just disliked it to make it exactly balanced. That was fun.

the-pi-guy

I've never had an undeliverable package from Amazon....  

the-pi-guy

the-pi-guy

Very long.  

LegalEagle is in this.  ;D

Legend

Very long.  

LegalEagle is in this.  ;D
Copyright and patent reform would be so awesome. We need stronger protections for creators.

Legend

On the subject of copyrights

the-pi-guy

My 6 years of University are coming to a close. Whatever happens I'm graduating.

On June 8th I look forward to starting my next 6 year project.

kitler53

My 6 years of University are coming to a close. Whatever happens I'm graduating.

i'm sorry that you are graduating into such a shame economy.  what terrible luck.

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

Legend

Looking forward to having free time again?  ;)

Congrats on graduating!!!

i'm sorry that you are graduating into such a shame economy.  what terrible luck.
My sister is graduating too. Near impossible to find a job as a teacher right now.

kitler53

My sister is graduating too. Near impossible to find a job as a teacher right now.
yeah, i am not happy with my current job and was preparing to look for a new one just as covid forced everyone to WFH.   my company is now on a hiring freeze and i canceled my search.  now i'm just focused on not letting my frustration get me fired because income is better than no income.

it may sound weird but this is a great example of why i'm a democrat.   oh sure, hard work is important too but soo much of life is down to just dumb-luck.   i've always worked hard by so many things in my life were me just being lucky.  lucky to be born into a wealthy family that gave me good schools.  lucky to graduate and find a job just a year before the housing crash in 2008.   lucky my job served and industry not terribly impacted by the downturn (i service power companies mostly).  lucky that unlike most of my friends my wife and i bought our first homes at the bottom of the housing crash instead of at the top of the housing bubble.   lucky that when we sold that first home to move to the suburbs we ended up selling near the top of another bubble.  lucky that both of my children were born healthy.

republicans want to blame every failure as if it was 100% the persons fault as if they just didn't take personal responsibility.   well, even among my close friends who had a very similar upbringing i've been soo lucky.   many of them have been ravaged by the housing crash, by job layoffs, by miscarriges and kids born with serious medical issues.  none of them are to blame for their misfortunes.  it's impossible for me to look around and think "i deserve my success more than you".  i've just been really fudgy lucky in life.

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

the-pi-guy

i'm sorry that you are graduating into such a shame economy.  what terrible luck.
Bad timing for sure.  
But at least with a CS degree my chances are better than some.  At least I have some kind of job in the meantime.  No matter how much I hate it.  

My wife managed to find a job recently, but she's in healthcare.  

Ohhh yeah. "free time"

It will be so good to not have stuff eating up my time.  

Go Up